Thyroid Meds, Why Not Working For Some People?

scarlettsmum

What is the reason that so many hypothyroid people put on thyroid meds by their doctor are complaining that it is not working for them? Is it because they are given too much t4 in favour of t3 and their liver is unable to convert it to t3?
Also, of those that are successfully using thyroid on the forum, did you manage to lose weight?

M

marikay

Cynoplus and Cynomel worked great for me. I didn't really need to lose weight but all me aches and pains went away and I had the energy of a 19 year old (I'm in my 50's). Then Grossman stopped making the Cyno meds and I tried going without (got a kidney infection and weight gain and all sorts of bad things). I am now taking Novotiral and supplementing that with Blue Sky Peptide T3. Works pretty well but not as well as the Cynoplus/Cynomel did. I am also having luck with B1 and biotin supplements. And magnesium is a godsend. Used the bright lights Ray recommends to help me get through the worst of the short days. I don't know why but the other things combined with the thyroid medication works better than just the thyroid medication. Hope this helps.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Thanks Marikay, glad to hear you found what works for you. I am just intrigued as to why sometimes the thyroid meds don't work? Is it the dosage or the ratio of T3 and T4? Why isn't there one standardised pill that has everything in it? I am guessing because everybody needs different ratios?I have no idea how this works, so I'm sorry for perhaps sounding ignorant.

Nighteyes

I have been contemplating this myself and I think you are on to something in your first post regarding the liver. Given how important liver is for thyroid hormone conversion and stable blood sugar I think this is key. Also one's current nutritional status comes into play. Selenium, zink, magnesium etc must all be optimal :) For me it seems selenium is essential as mushrooms and oysters make me warm immediately. Not to mention gut function. There is quite an important relationsship between gut and liver. Not coincidental that one often feels the best after a decent bowel movement ;)

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Makes sense. I will have to get some oysters. I thought selenium can be found in cod as well?

Nighteyes

It does have some but 2 medium sized oysters provide approximately the same amount of selenium as 200g of cod :) = 70 µg - which is more than you need in a day

Cod is a safe fish (very low PUFA), so if you enjoy it by all means it is a good choice.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

great, I am going to make these a regular addition to my diet, I am certainly not able to eat so much cod in one sitting. :)

youngandold

Thyroid blood tests just can't tell what is actually happening inside the cells.

So people may either have deficient of thyroid transporter proteins or their cells are somewhat insensitive to THs.