Thyroid Medication Expiration Date?

repeat

Hm, havein some old t4 and t3, and not sure about how sensitive thyroid medication is to expireing. Anybody knows?

Dan W

From what I can tell from cynomel and cynoplus bottles, they expire about 2 years and 4 months from the date of manufacture. Maybe someone else will know what happens over time, like whether they just slowly lose potency.

Edward

This is a good question. I have no idea and I would like to know because I have often thought of buying a lifetime supply in case for some reason it becomes problematic to get a hold of. I wonder if you can freeze it.

OP
R

repeat

I think I read somewhere that the thyroxine is unstable, so it will fall apart or something like that, but I don't know!

As long as it's not harmful I would use old ones, but maybe they lose potency real fast, so that may be just more trouble get an idea of the dose.... if you don't have a good sense of it by your own feeling.

jyb

Edward said:
This is a good question. I have no idea and I would like to know because I have often thought of buying a lifetime supply in case for some reason it becomes problematic to get a hold of. I wonder if you can freeze it.

I always asked myself the question of what cannot be frozen. Since freezing seems to preserve fragile molecules like vitamins for a long time, what cannot be frozen?