Thyroid Medication Expiration Date?

Discussion in 'Synthetic Thyroid' started by repeat, May 5, 2013.

1. repeat

repeat Member

Hm, havein some old t4 and t3, and not sure about how sensitive thyroid medication is to expireing. Anybody knows?

2. Dan Wich

Dan Wich Member

From what I can tell from cynomel and cynoplus bottles, they expire about 2 years and 4 months from the date of manufacture. Maybe someone else will know what happens over time, like whether they just slowly lose potency.

3. Edward

Edward Member

This is a good question. I have no idea and I would like to know because I have often thought of buying a lifetime supply in case for some reason it becomes problematic to get a hold of. I wonder if you can freeze it.

4. OP
    repeat

repeat Member

I think I read somewhere that the thyroxine is unstable, so it will fall apart or something like that, but I don't know!

As long as it's not harmful I would use old ones, but maybe they lose potency real fast, so that may be just more trouble get an idea of the dose.... if you don't have a good sense of it by your own feeling.

5. jyb

jyb Member

I always asked myself the question of what cannot be frozen. Since freezing seems to preserve fragile molecules like vitamins for a long time, what cannot be frozen?