Thyroid & Liver combined in one Pill...TGTBT?

Philomath

I was researching pure forms of vitamin E and ran across this manufacturer of pure, New Zealand grass fed bovine thyroid and liver capsules: http://www.drrons.com/organ-and-glandular-supplements/thyroid-new-zealand.html

The label says 30 mg bovine thyroid with 470 mg liver. Has anyone heard of this or had any experience with it? Thoughts on it's effectiveness...

Looks like Dr. Ron has some other interesting products as well.

Dan W

I always wonder about these, since I got the impression supplements in the US were required to remove T3.

I do like "...no stearates or other lubricants, binders, fillers, coatings, flowing agents or other added ingredients of any kind." Assuming it contains T3, that's way better than Cynoplus, Thyroid-S, etc.

jyb

Dan Wich said:
I always wonder about these, since I got the impression supplements in the US were required to remove T3.

It's worth asking them. In the UK and as of now, one can find one or two products with intact thyroid as over the counter supplements because they are sold as part of a vitamin / adrenal support mixture, not as a drug. The downsides with these products is that they contain things you might not be interested in, and the thyroid dosage and content in each capsule can't be disclosed - basically, the quality might not be great.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
What would concern me the most about this product is getting a controlled dosage of hormones.

Beebop

Thyroid supplementation is something you have to finely tune. I would have thought it would be more useful to eat the liver separately. To me it just sounds like it's an unnecessary complication given that getting your thyroid dose right is already enough of a challenge!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Beebop said:
Thyroid supplementation is something you have to finely tune. I would have thought it would be more useful to eat the liver separately. To me it just sounds like it's an unnecessary complication given that getting your thyroid dose right is already enough of a challenge!

Exactly.

jaguar43

actually liver inhibits thyroid, so it sounds fishy

Mittir

jag2594 said:

Excess Vitamin A in liver inhibits thyroid. That is the reason RP recommends 4-6 oz of liver
each week and not more than that. He thinks average hypothyroid people needs around 5000 IU of
Vitamin A. Without vitamin A you can not make the sex hormones like progesterone, DHEA .

OP
Philomath

Philomath

Excellent feedback. Thanks everyone

jaguar43

Mittir said:
jag2594 said:

Excess Vitamin A in liver inhibits thyroid. That is the reason RP recommends 4-6 oz of liver
each week and not more than that. He thinks average hypothyroid people needs around 5000 IU of
Vitamin A. Without vitamin A you can not make the sex hormones like progesterone, DHEA .

In his book nutrition for women he says that the Cysteine will inhibit thyroid. Cysteine is in liver.

Mittir

jag2594 said:
In his book nutrition for women he says that the Cysteine will inhibit thyroid. Cysteine is in liver.

Cysteine, tryptophan and methionine ,all three amino acids inhibit thyroid. Except for gelatin all other sources
of protein are rich in tryptophan and cysteine. This is the reason he recommends gelatin so strongly.
Milk is very rich in tryptophan but calcium in milk can make tryptophan less harmful. Here is a RP quote

"Muscle catabolism also releases a large amount of cysteine, and cysteine, methionine, and tryptophan suppress thyroid function (Carvalho, et al., 2000). "---http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/tryptophan-serotonin-aging.shtml