Thyroid glandular effecting menstrual period?

Destiny

Could taking thyroid glandular effect a woman's menstrual cycle negatively in the beginning? I experience a heavier and longer period this time. I got my period 2 1/2 weeks into taking 1/2 grain thyroid which I increased to 1 grain at the two week mark. I feel fine other than that, my temps have gone up some and my heart rate too. Could it be increased adrenalin sensitivity shifting the estrogen:progesterone balance towards estrogen?

RRT

Thyroid supplementation can increase progesterone production, pushing estrogen out of the cell. If the liver isn't equipped to handle the increased estrogen then estrogen excess symptoms could be experienced. The same sometimes happens with progest-e supplementation. If bowel transit time is slow, this can make the situation worse. Do you eat beef liver? Do you use bamboo shoots or the raw carrot salad? Do you have dream recall?

OP
D

Destiny

Thanks RRT. I am eating according to Dr Peats guidelines since September, incl raw carrot each day, no PUFAs, gelatin, lots of milk and OJ etc. I get about 120g high quality protein and take NOW Vit A 25.000IU three times a week. I also have been taking a sublingual progesterone supplement for a few months. It reduced my periods from 9 days, some quite heavy, to about 4 or 5 medium to light. This one was the first time using thyroid and it was 10 days long and quite heavy for about half the time.

diffstory

It doesn't sound right. All my research says long and heavy periods are a sign that something is wrong. Have you thought about have your hormones checked? I've found it's easy to convince an ob/gyn to do them or you can do the saliva test. I think those were the most helpful labs I've done and continue to do them. Just my thoughts.

OP
D

Destiny

Yes my progesterone has been low, due to eating the wrong things and being hypo thyroid. I just started eating Peats way a good three months ago. Taking progesterone, before I changed my diet, normalized my periods.

I emailed Dr Peat and he said to continue taking both, increasing thyroid every two weeks while checking my temps and heart rate and that as my thyroid levels are normalized the need for oral progesterone wont be necessary. Taking thyroid started affecting my hormones and over time things will balance out.

Once my thyroid is healed and I cleansed my body of the PUFAs I wont need either thyroid or progesterone ideally.

Dr Peat emailed me: "I think continuing the progesterone would help to normalize thyroid responses. If you adjust the thyroid dose every two weeks according to how you feel, and according to your temperatures and pulse rate, there should be a point where your cycle is right, without needing progesterone. During the winter the need for thyroid is higher, because of the short days, so it's important to watch for decreasing need when the days are longer in the spring."

viv_s

Hi Destiny wich thyroid glandular do you use? I have the opposite scarce mestruation close to nothing , I use American biologics thyroid glandular.