Thyroid Dosing

BalkanPeater

Hey guys, I have been researching doctor Peat's articles and this forum for the past year, and I took the plunge and ordered some blood work. I am a 21 year old male, and I also am under HRT at a clinic where I am prescribed Test, HCG, and anastrozole. These are the results:

TSH: 2.290 uIU/mL Lab Range: 0.450 - 4.500

Free T4: 1.28 ng/dL Lab Range: 0.82 - 1.77

T3 Free: 3.5 pg/mL Lab Range: 2.0 - 4.4

Reverse T3 Serum: 21.6 ng/dL Lab Range: 9.2 - 24.1

DHEA - Sulfate: 209 ug/dL Lab Range: 164.3 - 530.5

IGF-1: 324 ng/mL Lab Range: 116 - 410

Total Testosterone: 431 ng/dL : Lab Range: 264 - 916 (I was on clomid during these results but have now switched to Test HCG and Anastrozole, so my Test is probably higher now).

Dihydrotestosterone: 31 ng/dL Lab Range: 31 - 85

SHBG: 15.6 nmol/L Lab Range: 16.5 - 55.9

After seeing these lab results I noticed that my reverse T3 is on the higher end of the range. So i started supplementing 30 mg of pregnenolone a day, and eating more fructose to increase glycogen stores. This got rid of the adrenaline and mood swings, but I am still very fatigued to the point where I cannot leave the house and I am having a hard time completing schoolwork. My skin is pale and dry, and my hair is frizzy dry also. My face is also puffy and round. I ordered 100 tabs of Bitiron (50 mcg T4 + 12.5 mcg T3 per tab), and I ordered Tiromel (25 mcg T3 per tab). I am wondering on the dosing i should use to lower my reverse T3, so I can look and feel healthy again and get back on track to feel like a normal 21 year old. Thank you guys in advance :)

Birdie

From raypeat.com:

TSH, temperature, pulse rate, and other indicators in hypothyroidism

Each of the indicators of thyroid function can be useful, but has to be interpreted in relation to the physiological state.
Increasingly, TSH (the pituitary thyroid stimulating hormone) has been treated as if it meant something independently; however, it can be brought down into the normal range, or lower, with substances other than the thyroid hormones.

“Basal” body temperature is influenced by many things besides thyroid. The resting heart rate helps to interpret the temperature. In a cool environment, the temperature of the extremities is sometimes a better indicator than the oral or eardrum temperature.
The “basal” metabolic rate, especially if the rate of carbon dioxide production is measured, is very useful. The amount of water and calories disposed of in a day can give a rough idea of the metabolic rate.

The T wave on the electrocardiogram, and the relaxation rate on the Achilles reflex test are useful.
Blood tests for cholesterol, albumin, glucose, sodium, lactate, total thyroxine and total T3 are useful to know, because they help to evaluate the present thyroid status, and sometimes they can suggest ways to correct the problem.
Less common blood or urine tests (adrenaline, cortisol, ammonium, free fatty acids), if they are available, can help to understand compensatory reactions to hypothyroidism.

A book such as McGavack's The Thyroid, that provides traditional medical knowledge about thyroid physiology, can help to dispel some of the current dogmas about the thyroid.

.....​

Hans

Forum Supporter
Hey guys, I have been researching doctor Peat's articles and this forum for the past year, and I took the plunge and ordered some blood work. I am a 21 year old male, and I also am under HRT at a clinic where I am prescribed Test, HCG, and anastrozole. These are the results:

Total Testosterone: 431 ng/dL : Lab Range: 264 - 916 (I was on clomid during these results but have now switched to Test HCG and Anastrozole, so my Test is probably higher now).

After seeing these lab results I noticed that my reverse T3 is on the higher end of the range. So i started supplementing 30 mg of pregnenolone a day, and eating more fructose to increase glycogen stores. This got rid of the adrenaline and mood swings, but I am still very fatigued to the point where I cannot leave the house and I am having a hard time completing schoolwork. My skin is pale and dry, and my hair is frizzy dry also. My face is also puffy and round. I ordered 100 tabs of Bitiron (50 mcg T4 + 12.5 mcg T3 per tab), and I ordered Tiromel (25 mcg T3 per tab). I am wondering on the dosing i should use to lower my reverse T3, so I can look and feel healthy again and get back on track to feel like a normal 21 year old. Thank you guys in advance :)
Have you been stressed for a long time?
Have you tested vitamin D?
What does your diet look like? Eating foods low in micros can cause a lot of those symptoms, but even if your diet is good, stress will undo it all.
rT3 is high due to stress, so maybe you'll need something stronger than preg. Also, if you're still stressed, then your body will convert T4 into more rT3, making things worse. So taking extra T4 might not help.
Puffy and round face is a solid sign of high cortisol.
A few supplements that can help with energy is vitamin B1 (300mg), vitamin B2 (100mg), niacinamide (100-500mg) and glycine (5g). Glycine and niacinamide can also help to lower cortisol.

Nebula

Also, if you're still stressed, then your body will convert T4 into more rT3, making things worse. So taking extra T4 might not help.
In that case do you think T3 only therapy is helpful?

Vanced

Thyroid results look OK tbh.

I would bet your issues are low estrogen. Do you have bloods for that? How much anastrozole are you taking and why? How much test?

For me, I am a hyper responder to arimidex, can't even take a tiny crumb of a tablet without tanking my estrogen for days. It is VERY powerful stuff and shouldn't be used for TRT imo. You should use just enough test so you don't need it.

Hans

Forum Supporter
In that case do you think T3 only therapy is helpful?
It can definitely help, but I'd try to lower rT3 first with things like aspirin, prog, glycine or another adaptogen.
Perhaps someone can do a short stint (30days) of T3 only with adaptogens and then rT3 might have dropped sufficient, and then switch to NDT or something like that. But it all depends on how fast rT3 drops. Some people need to do T3 monotherapy for many months to get rT3 down.

OP
BalkanPeater

BalkanPeater

It can definitely help, but I'd try to lower rT3 first with things like aspirin, prog, glycine or another adaptogen.
Perhaps someone can do a short stint (30days) of T3 only with adaptogens and then rT3 might have dropped sufficient, and then switch to NDT or something like that. But it all depends on how fast rT3 drops. Some people need to do T3 monotherapy for many months to get rT3 down.
I just received a bottle of cortinon (3:1) in the mail a couple days ago, I'm afraid to use it since I think Peat thinks males should use pregnenolone over progesterone.

OP
BalkanPeater

BalkanPeater

Have you been stressed for a long time?
Have you tested vitamin D?
What does your diet look like? Eating foods low in micros can cause a lot of those symptoms, but even if your diet is good, stress will undo it all.
rT3 is high due to stress, so maybe you'll need something stronger than preg. Also, if you're still stressed, then your body will convert T4 into more rT3, making things worse. So taking extra T4 might not help.
Puffy and round face is a solid sign of high cortisol.
A few supplements that can help with energy is vitamin B1 (300mg), vitamin B2 (100mg), niacinamide (100-500mg) and glycine (5g). Glycine and niacinamide can also help to lower cortisol.
Glycine doesn't seem to do much for me, but Taurine seems to lower my cortisol symptoms a bit. I have niacinamide 500 mg capsules by nutricost. Whenever i take the niacinamide it makes me somewhat dissociative and zoned out, I don't really like it. My diet is mainly carbs, dairy, and milk. I eat a good amount of honey clover with fruits for my carb sources. My protein is mainly milk and steak / burgers.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I just received a bottle of cortinon (3:1) in the mail a couple days ago, I'm afraid to use it since I think Peat thinks males should use pregnenolone over progesterone.
There are many men who tolerate progesterone perfectly and in a relative recent interview with Peat, Peat mentioned that men can benefit a lot from progesterone. It's not a female hormone.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Glycine doesn't seem to do much for me, but Taurine seems to lower my cortisol symptoms a bit. I have niacinamide 500 mg capsules by nutricost. Whenever i take the niacinamide it makes me somewhat dissociative and zoned out, I don't really like it. My diet is mainly carbs, dairy, and milk. I eat a good amount of honey clover with fruits for my carb sources. My protein is mainly milk and steak / burgers.
Do you log your food in cronometer to see your total calories, macros and micros? Do you use salt liberally?

OP
BalkanPeater

BalkanPeater

There are many men who tolerate progesterone perfectly and in a relative recent interview with Peat, Peat mentioned that men can benefit a lot from progesterone. It's not a female hormone.
So I guess I'll try 1 drop of Cortinon tonight and I'll update the thread tomorrow. I was a little apprehensive in trying progesterone as a 21 yr old male, but if Peat approves then I'll go ahead and try it.

OP
BalkanPeater

BalkanPeater

Do you log your food in cronometer to see your total calories, macros and micros? Do you use salt liberally?
I don't log my food, I just eat whenever I'm hungry. I sometimes add salt to orange juice and use it as a post workout drink.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I don't log my food, I just eat whenever I'm hungry. I sometimes add salt to orange juice and use it as a post workout drink.
If you undereat, the T3 to rT3 ratio might become unfavorable. So it's important to eat enough calories, especially carbs if you want to lower rT3. Also micros are extremely important for every process in the body.

OP
BalkanPeater

BalkanPeater

If you undereat, the T3 to rT3 ratio might become unfavorable. So it's important to eat enough calories, especially carbs if you want to lower rT3. Also micros are extremely important for every process in the body.
I'll try to eat more, but truth be told, I literally do not get more than 4 hours of sleep a night. I also suffer from a loss of appetite, and constipation. It gets hard to eat due to not have any bowel movements during the day. Tracking my food intake seems really like a hassle to me until I resolve my chronic insomnia and this other stuff.

I might try a tablet of Bitiron before bed and see how it goes. It should hopefully help with my insomnia and appetite. I read a thread on here that supplementing thyroid can cause an adrenal crisis and thats what's preventing me from taking any supplemental thyroid.

Hans

Forum Supporter
I'll try to eat more, but truth be told, I literally do not get more than 4 hours of sleep a night. I also suffer from a loss of appetite, and constipation. It gets hard to eat due to not have any bowel movements during the day. Tracking my food intake seems really like a hassle to me until I resolve my chronic insomnia and this other stuff.

I might try a tablet of Bitiron before bed and see how it goes. It should hopefully help with my insomnia and appetite. I read a thread on here that supplementing thyroid can cause an adrenal crisis and thats what's preventing me from taking any supplemental thyroid.
If you log your diet into cronometer you'll see which micros are lacking the most. I'd use a laxative temporarily to speed up transit time while getting thyroid up to speed. Thyroid hormones are heavily involved in digestion and transit time.
Cyproheptadine, a serotonin and histamine antagonist should greatly help with appetite as well.

LUH 3417

How did it go for you?

I’m curious if anyone on the forum has sporadically dosed thyroid when they felt like they needed it, for instance on a day they may feel especially cold. Before supplemental thyroid it seems humans would get big doses in certain meals, it wouldn’t be something you would get every day. What would be an issue with nibbling cynoplus or cynomel sporadically, skipping days, based on how one is feeling?