Throwing A Bunch Of Peat-ish Supplies At Dandruff

tankasnowgod

So, I been noticing I had a fair amount of dandruff the past couple weeks. It actually seemed to be getting worse over time. I also noticed a couple "bumps" of skin on my scalp (they've been there for a few months now) that I believe was mostly flaky skin. Didn't itch, but I would find myself scratching those flakes off quite a bit.

I was looking at some of the more "natural" dandruff shampoos, and the active ingredients seemed to mainly be sulfur and salicylic acid, sometimes a bit of tea tree oil.

Well, I already had some aspirin powder and tea tree oil, and had some old MSM lotion that I thought would be good for sulfur. So, I ended up putting the MSM lotion on my scalp for about 10 minutes, and made up a concoction of-

Aspirin powder
Glycerine
MCT Oil
Urea Crystals (suspected this might be good for dandruff, it's great on skin)
Tea Tree Oil

If I had Flowers of Sulphur, I prolly would have gone to that instead of finishing up the MSM lotion.

After I washed out the MSM lotion, I basically dumped that concoction onto my scalp. It was really messy. If I do this again, I would not mix MCT oil in. I might use that or coconut oil as a conditioner afterwards, though. And truthfully, I don't even know if the glycerine is necessary.... I might just dissolve the Urea and Aspirin in water and ethanol next time.

Anyway, after 10 minutes of that, I washed it out, and tried to get all the extra mct oil off my skin.

But having said that...... I feels like those "dandruff bumps" are gone. And as a bonus, the skin on my forehead looks fantastic at the moment. I'll update over the next few days, but wanted to share in case anyone else wanted to try something similar.

golder

Really appreciate this, thank you tankasnowgod. Been looking for a dandruff solution recently.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

So, I had a bit of the concoction left, used it up this morning.

Scalp still feels clear, and NO dandruff the past two days. It was really bad before, too.

I got some of Trader Joe's Tea Tree Oil shampoo today. I've used that in the past, and it seemed to keep things better. I added a bit of Urea to the bottle.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

Okay, I did notice some dandruff earlier in the week, but it was significantly lighter. I guess it depends a bit on darkness of my shirt.

However, scalp is noticeably smoother every day. The new "Urea Shampoo" I brought and made probably helps quite a bit.

I have also been massaging in some vitamin E and MCT oil into a few places where I noticed the serious bumps.

Jared

Adding Tea Tree Oil and crushed Aspirin to whatever soap/shampoo has always worked well for me. I just purchased some Jason antidandruff shampoo that works well too. It's active ingredients are mainly Sulfur and Salicylic Acid. I think some of the other ingredients may be helpful as well like camphor and methyl salicylate. The reason I went for this shampoo over the regular sulfur/salicylic acid soap bars is because the shampoo should be less drying than the soap bar from the reviews I read. I also use a spray for acne that has salicylic acid and tea tree oil in it and that works well too. I've tried many things over the past 5-6 years and these are what seem to work for me. I've also felt that whenever I take some oil of oregano internally that I get some relief from the itching. Sometimes I'll use the oil of oregano as a last resort and it seems to help.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

One other note.... I have some Vitamin E in MCT oil that I have made up. I have been applying that to the most problematic areas as well, after I wash my hair.

Here's what worked for me. Get aloe vera, just the kind that comes as a gel or whatever. Pure. In a jar. And smear it all over your hair before bedtime, to your scalp. Let it dry and stay in. Next morning rinse out. Kills and gets rid of all dandruff for weeks in my experience.

Taotatoes

Here's what worked for me. Get aloe vera, just the kind that comes as a gel or whatever. Pure. In a jar. And smear it all over your hair before bedtime, to your scalp. Let it dry and stay in. Next morning rinse out. Kills and gets rid of all dandruff for weeks in my experience.

Any difference in the feel/appearance of the hair afterwards? I deal with hormonal dandruff and would love to employ something during that time that isn't stripping as I have very thick porous wavy hair. Might give this a go if it won't give me an afro. Lol.

Any difference in the feel/appearance of the hair afterwards? I deal with hormonal dandruff and would love to employ something during that time that isn't stripping as I have very thick porous wavy hair. Might give this a go if it won't give me an afro. Lol.

No difference afterwards.