Thread of better quality food options (UK)

GodsHound

already bloated... sigh
I get by on less eggs these days. While I think Clarence Court are the best eggs available in the supermarket, and they're the ones I mostly eat, their birds are still fed a poor diet of corn and grain and soy, even if they have access to pasture. I expect the PUFA content to be very high.

I've found it almost impossible to find eggs that are fully pasture raised without cheap grains. Recently I read an old @Travis post, hypothesising that chickens raised on a diet of fresh coconut, would produce eggs of almost no PUFA (or atleast minimal linoleic acid), an exciting idea!

Sorry if this is old news to you... I am somewhat new to the forum and am finding this stuff very intriguing!

GodsHound

Screenshot 2022-01-14 at 14.48.48.png

(Clarence Court)

Honestly this is abysmal. And shameless about the use of paprika to produce an orange yolk. Yet these are still the freshest tasting eggs i've found in supermarkets. Very sad to see!!

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

I get by on less eggs these days. While I think Clarence Court are the best eggs available in the supermarket, and they're the ones I mostly eat, their birds are still fed a poor diet of corn and grain and soy, even if they have access to pasture. I expect the PUFA content to be very high.

I've found it almost impossible to find eggs that are fully pasture raised without cheap grains. Recently I read an old @Travis post, hypothesising that chickens raised on a diet of fresh coconut, would produce eggs of almost no PUFA (or atleast minimal linoleic acid), an exciting idea!

Sorry if this is old news to you... I am somewhat new to the forum and am finding this stuff very intriguing!
Best supermarket eggs by a mile

1642186822869.jpeg

Black Farmer eggs are almost entirely truly free range. You can get them from Ocado and it is all i buy these days. I dunno if they are truly free range all year round. Seems unlikely

Herbie

I’ve tried all the eggs. I find the Dutchy organic ones to be the best with the best coloured and quality yokes.

Clarence court are very orange loose yokes compared.

I mainly shop at Waitrose and Sainsbury’s.

ceileachair

For me the best organic milk is Duchy Organic Unhomogenised - Waitrose

When I switched to goats milk I use

Can be found in co-op stores or health food stores
The Duchy Organic Milk is absolutely delicious. Insanely good. Unfortunately when I moved to Scotland, they did not stock it there, Waitrose only had Grahams Organic milk which I though tasted like water in comparison.

The Sainsbury's 1.5% Organic Milk is also very very good and I drank that for years in Scotland.

I now live in Germany and the milk quality (and meat) is absolutely awful. Like totally terrible. 99% of it is long-life milk, even in the fridge at supermarkets. Only decent fresh milk I can find here still tastes like Asda milk. Not surprising. Very few grass fed cows in the northern part of Germany. I now consume a lot of hot chocolate to mask the taste.....

P

Peatness

The Duchy Organic Milk is absolutely delicious. Insanely good. Unfortunately when I moved to Scotland, they did not stock it there, Waitrose only had Grahams Organic milk which I though tasted like water in comparison.

The Sainsbury's 1.5% Organic Milk is also very very good and I drank that for years in Scotland.

I now live in Germany and the milk quality (and meat) is absolutely awful. Like totally terrible. 99% of it is long-life milk, even in the fridge at supermarkets. Only decent fresh milk I can find here still tastes like Asda milk. Not surprising. Very few grass fed cows in the northern part of Germany. I now consume a lot of hot chocolate to mask the taste.....
That's a shame. I'm surprised about that. I actually stopped using the duchy milk because I switched to goats milk but I've been thinking about switching back. Have you tried goats milk?

golder

That's a shame. I'm surprised about that. I actually stopped using the duchy milk because I switched to goats milk but I've been thinking about switching back. Have you tried goats milk?
Interested to hear a bit more about why you went to goats milk, and what makes you want to go back?
I'm having a bit of trouble with dairy, so I'm about to try the "St Helen's Gentle Goat Milk" but I know it's not going to taste like a dirty farm.

P

Peatness

Interested to hear a bit more about why you went to goats milk, and what makes you want to go back?
I'm having a bit of trouble with dairy, so I'm about to try the "St Helen's Gentle Goat Milk" but I know it's not going to taste like a dirty farm.
I loved!!! the duchy milk but I was having a lot of bloating. Based on what I read on the forum about goats milk I switched. The bloating was a bit better but it’s not completely gone. Recently, I've been thinking about the effects of pasteurization on milk and wondered if it’s safe. Dr. Peat does not have a problem with pasteurization but maybe some people do better to avoid it. I’m still looking into it. The goat milk that I drink are not organic and the duchy is organic and unhomogenized. The price is not a issue for me but it’s interesting that the duchy is half the price of goats milk. Finally, I trust the duchy brand.

GodsHound

I loved!!! the duchy milk but I was having a lot of bloating. Based on what I read on the forum about goats milk I switched. The bloating was a bit better but it’s not completely gone. Recently, I've been thinking about the effects of pasteurization on milk and wondered if it’s safe. Dr. Peat does not have a problem with pasteurization but maybe some people do better to avoid it. I’m still looking into it. The goat milk that I drink are not organic and the duchy is organic and unhomogenized. The price is not a issue for me but it’s interesting that the duchy is half the price of goats milk. Finally, I trust the duchy brand.
ive also just switched to goats milk. i drink st helens farm skimmed as its unhomogenized unlike their semi skimmed and full fat, although all their milk is pasteurised. id love to find some grass fed raw goats milk in the future

golder

Would you be able to let us know here on this thread how you get on with the change from goats milk to the unhomogenised Duchy cows milk?

P

Peatness

Would you be able to let us know here on this thread how you get on with the change from goats milk to the unhomogenised Duchy cows milk?
I don't know if I will switch but if I do I will post my findings

Not sure why but any St Helen's goat milk I drink tastes off to me. Could this be a symptom of mine or is the supply hit and miss?