Thread of better quality food options (UK)

Sefton10

No citric acid or preservatives. 70p in Sainsburys. They do Pineapple too.

1618998398075.png
1618998413540.png

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

Pineapple, Papaya, Mango. Nice and sweet. I just let defrost and eat. £1.25 in Aldi.

1618998615642.png

M

metabolizm

I could be wrong, but I think supermarket Comté cheese is pretty safe. It's made with raw milk, and is usually imported from France. M&S brand is the tastiest, but it's expensive. Morrisons do a much cheaper version which is still pretty good.

M

metabolizm

It's really hard to find milk chocolate without emulsifiers, but this one is pretty special. Waitrose do a good one too, around 49%. And if you prefer darker, 70% Lindt seems safe.

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

Is this stuff consistently ripe? If so, I'll be a happy man.
I've had 4 or 5 bags so far and all good! Maybe the odd bit of pineapple that's a bit woody that's it. For the price I think it's an excellent option.

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

Nice alternative to maple syrup/honey. Goes well in milk. Actually quite nice on meat too, has a bit of a hoisin sauce vibe.

1619012751667.png

calvert79

I actually really love tinned fruit but then I'm weirded out by the BPA in the tins leaching?

Happycat

Lidl have various breakfast cereals without added iron and vitamins. Learned that from another post on this forum. :thumbsup:

M

metabolizm

That sounds interesting. I'll need to check them out.

Yeah, if they have an alternative to Coco Pops without the added iron and vitamins -- which imparts a disgusting metallic taste to them -- then I'll definitely be interested.

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

Lidl have various breakfast cereals without added iron and vitamins. Learned that from another post on this forum. :thumbsup:
My sister gets these, pretty clean if you want cereal and eat wheat.

1619087021795.png
1619087801547.png

calvert79

Yeah, if they have an alternative to Coco Pops without the added iron and vitamins -- which imparts a disgusting metallic taste to them -- then I'll definitely be interested.
Wondering how they do that. I thought it was a legal requirement that our wheat be fortified or did I pick that up wrong?

CreakyJoints

Wondering how they do that. I thought it was a legal requirement that our wheat be fortified or did I pick that up wrong?

I don't think it applies to all wheat, but I thought that for the majority of breakfast cereals to even be recognized as food by the authorities, they do need to be sprayed with vitamins and iron. I'm not sure I've seen many breakfast cereals that weren't, actually - I was unaware of the "Simple" Shreddies posted above, though, so perhaps those requirements have changed, or perhaps they are getting around that with the addition of banana puree, or something? It's quite a new product, right?

reality

My sister gets these, pretty clean if you want cereal and eat wheat.

View attachment 22896 View attachment 22897
These taste like cardboard, I suppose you could add mountains of sugar. Frosted shreddies are my favourite cereal, childhood favourite lol

Kellogs frosted mini wheats are also a good option that aren’t fortified.

though there’s an arguement that if you are having cereal with milk then the calcium should help mitigate the iron absorption. You can also add berries because their polyphenols also inhibit iron (and possibly provide antioxidant benefit?)

Happycat

Maybe the flour that goes into making it is fortified, but then they don't add it again to the cereal?
The ingredients in my Lidl Special Flakes are: wholegrain wheat, ground rice, sugar, freeze dried fruits, brown invert sugar syrup, barley malt extract, salt, glucose syrup.

I am pretty sure I bought some Choco Pops from Lidl without added iron and vitamins. ?