Thread of better quality food options (UK)

dukesbobby777

Frozen berries. £1.49 in Lidls for 500g.

A punnet of berries for 200g (from the fresh section) usually costs at least £2 in most places.

Not sure how these frozen berries taste, but might be good for making smoothies.

Attachments

• F070D391-94E2-46B9-BF92-C3B97172D3A5.jpeg
    F070D391-94E2-46B9-BF92-C3B97172D3A5.jpeg
    462.4 KB · Views: 17
  • CC9B7AA4-E9C3-4EB9-8172-A5506C30ED09.jpeg
    CC9B7AA4-E9C3-4EB9-8172-A5506C30ED09.jpeg
    465.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

dukesbobby777

Lidl have various breakfast cereals without added iron and vitamins. Learned that from another post on this forum. :thumbsup:

Yeah I buy their cornflakes. They taste a lot different than Kellogg’s. Like there’s something ‘missing’ (but still pleasant). Which I would put down to the absent added fortification. If they are fortified, they are awful with their marketing because that’s usually a huge plus selling point.

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

Best supermarket butter in my view

1619167551654.jpeg

calvert79

I'm going to take a look this week.

I lived off cereal as a child. Frosted shreddies were the bomb! I used to pour sugar on top of Frosties and add hot milk. OMG! So tasty.

M

metabolizm

YES! Raw dairy is meant to be banned in Scotland but our Waitrose stocks that butter. I actually prefer the Guernsey one for taste.

I don't think there's an issue with imported raw dairy here (in Scotland). Easy to find unpasteurised cheeses in the supermarkets anyway, mostly French.

calvert79

I don't think there's an issue with imported raw dairy here (in Scotland). Easy to find unpasteurised cheeses in the supermarkets anyway, mostly French.
Hmm, yeah, I'm not sure. I thought the law was no raw for sale in Scotland. I get my raw milk delivered from England but I thought it odd that they were selling raw dairy in Scottish Waitroses.

OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

Really nice sweet OJ in M&S. Fresh/unpasteurised.

7FE61D6D-F7D3-4A7B-94DD-37591024E988.jpeg

M

metabolizm

Really nice sweet OJ in M&S. Fresh/unpasteurised.

View attachment 23083

I've always found that one to be unbearably sour, but maybe they've got their act together and have started using sweet oranges.

My OJ of choice for now is Co-op pasteurised. It’s cheap and tastes sweet.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

I've always found that one to be unbearably sour, but maybe they've got their act together and have started using sweet oranges.

Interesting. I definitely found it sweet enough. I usually find when they are unpasteurised they tend to be sweeter, I thought they might use riper oranges as the higher sugar will keep it fresher than sour ones without pasteurisation. Tesco do one in their Finest range too that's usually good.

golder

I found the exact same as you Sefton. All the finest range seem to be the sweetest. Can we get a photo of the Co-op pasteurised one you found sweet?

M

metabolizm

Here is the Co-op one. We buy that because there's a shop near us, we get 2L for £3, and it's usually pretty nice and sweet.

BUT - just yesterday I bought M&S pasteurised with bits (here), and it's the best I've tried so far, by a wide margin. Sweet and lovely. Not cheap, though.

May have to try the unpasteurised one again - although the last two or three times I had to pour it out because it was so tart. (Same story with Waitrose and Tesco brands - maybe it depends on season).

golder

Here is the Co-op one. We buy that because there's a shop near us, we get 2L for £3, and it's usually pretty nice.

BUT - just yesterday I bought M&S pasteurised with bits (here), and it's the best I've tried so far, by a wide margin. Not cheap, though.

May have to try the unpasteurised one again - although the last two or three times I had to pour it out because it was so tart.
Thanks for that. It’s worth trying again. One in every ten I get is tart, the rest is gorgeous.
Great thread - keep the good food/drink coming!

M

metabolizm

I also bought this milk from M&S yesterday - organic whole. It's very, very nice. (It is pasteurised and homogenised, though).

M

metabolizm

While I'm at it - and I did mention this in the other thread - M&S do the best commercially available milk chocolate. It doesn't have any emulsifiers. We buy it in bulk. Here it is. And here is someone reviewing it.