Thread of better quality food options (UK)

Jayvee

I recently discovered Honey drops. I slightly prefer the ingredients for manuka doctor ones and they are cheaper, the 'MGO' content is lower but I personally dont really find manuka honey benefits to be obvious anyway....

Well worth a try for comparison. These are in H&B (it's the only thing in there I find good/clean).

P

Peatness

I recently discovered Honey drops. I slightly prefer the ingredients for manuka doctor ones and they are cheaper, the 'MGO' content is lower but I personally dont really find manuka honey benefits to be obvious anyway....

Well worth a try for comparison. These are in H&B (it's the only thing in there I find good/clean).
Thanks. Do you know what the glucose syrup in these is made from - is it corn?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Sefton10

Sefton10

They're coming for our milk, this is war!

Time to start looking at getting a goat?
I think this might be part of why Ray has been pro-oatmeal and lower protein lately. The price of high quality animal foods and things like organic fruit is going to take a hammering. It’s going to be prudent to have a cheap staple that you do well on and can provide a bulk of calories. Then fill in nutrition with things like eggs, liver, oysters.

I think this might be part of why Ray has been pro-oatmeal and lower protein lately. The price of high quality animal foods and things like organic fruit is going to take a hammering. It’s going to be prudent to have a cheap staple that you do well on and can provide a bulk of calories. Then fill in nutrition with things like eggs, liver, oysters.
That’s a good point.

Samya

I've been looking into raw and pasteurised honey recently and noticed that none of the honey I've bought in UK supermarkets says it's pasteurised. I then found that in the UK no product can be called honey if it is pasteurised, as the temperatures necessary destroy enzymes which have to be present for it to be lawfully sold as honey. It seems most manufacturers do heat their honey but just enough to filter and bottle it.

I think it's good to support local beekeepers over supermerkets, still it's good to know that anything sold as honey in the UK should have some of the beneficial enzymes intact. As supermarket honey goes, the 'groovy food' organic honeys from Mexico are quite nice, the Acacia honey dissolves easily with minimal heat and the wildflower has a very rich/smoky flavour. I tried a regular honey from the co-op and in contrast it tasted nasty, the difference was huge.

I noticed when having honey recently that it really opens up my breathing, I can see why it can help with asthma and coughs. One night I started to get a tickly cough as I was trying to fall asleep, then let some honey roll down my throat and fell asleep easily.

Last edited:

incrp

Talking with a local beekeeper (who sells me whole frames with the comb complete) that a local well known national honey supplier gets all it's foreign honey in 45 gallon drums which have to be heated to get the honey out, he thinks beyond the safe temperature to preserve enzymes. Most areas of the UK have beekeepers it should be easy to find a local supplier. My local garage and butcher sell local honey.

Samya

Talking with a local beekeeper (who sells me whole frames with the comb complete) that a local well known national honey supplier gets all it's foreign honey in 45 gallon drums which have to be heated to get the honey out, he thinks beyond the safe temperature to preserve enzymes. Most areas of the UK have beekeepers it should be easy to find a local supplier. My local garage and butcher sell local honey.
Yes every manufacturer I looked into does somewhat heat their honey to process it, and could technically heat it close pasteurisation temps. I doubt it would need to be that high as honey melts easily but who knows. If you want it as the bees make it, best to get it from a bee keeper that can tell you exactly how they treat the honey.

I'm curious do you eat the honeycomb or use the wax for other things? I tried it once and when the honey was swallowed it was strange chewing on wax, but I do wonder if there's benefits to eating the comb whole.

incrp

I just cut a piece of comb from the frame and chew it then spit out the ball of wax. Being complete it is obviously not filtered so has bits of wing and legs in it.

GodsHound

1653941637242.png

This juice is good, always sweet.

Tesco and Sainsburys both do Lamb's liver for really cheap, it's good quality and tastes very mild.

Herbie

View attachment 37321
This juice is good, always sweet.

Tesco and Sainsburys both do Lamb's liver for really cheap, it's good quality and tastes very mild.
Yeah I can vouch for this brand, I used to get that one or the Waitrose brand one.

The innocent brand OJ is the best, I tried the lot.

Waitrose grape juice is the best.

golder

Yeah I can vouch for this brand, I used to get that one or the Waitrose brand one.

The innocent brand OJ is the best, I tried the lot.

Waitrose grape juice is the best.
The innocent brand OJ is terrible. I tried the lot. The only thing that i found worse was Tropicana. Funny how everyone has different tastes!

P

Peatness

The innocent brand OJ is terrible. I tried the lot. The only thing that i found worse was Tropicana. Funny how everyone has different tastes!
I agree. Tropicana is awful. M&S orange juice is better

GodsHound

I'm still yet to find a supermarket brand of OJ that actually tastes sweet. I juiced some good oranges myself recently and it's like 'oh, I've tasted OJ this good maybe 5 or so times in my life'. OJ can be so good it's incomparable to anything found in the supermarket. Some cafes still do nice freshly juiced but it's expensive.

Samya

The only decent OJs I've found are the freshly squeezed unpasteurised juices like M&S, Waitrose #1, Tesco finest. I tried Waitrose's regular fresh OJ and it was like orange squash in comparison. Co-op's is 'gently pasteurised' and still tastes good though. Sweetness is hit or miss but rarely have one that's too sour.

Jayvee

Daylesford grape juice from ocado if you can afford it or if you want to treat yourself. Comes in glass bottles too which is nice. It is the only good juice I have been able to get in the uk and that's including homemade orange juices. I have seen a website where you can buy oranges directly from farmers in Valencia but I dont have space to store massive amounts of oranges.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals