Thread of better quality food options (UK)

P

Peatness

Anyone know any sweets that are just "sugar, bovine/pork gelatine, natural flavourings"?
I've been looking for this for a while also but couldn't find a source that didn't contain unspecified 'natural flavouring' which I don't trust . In the end I bought Organic Crystallised Ginger

Last edited by a moderator:

Jayvee

Has anyone tried the Valencian orange ice lollies in Morrisons? Well worth a try, 100% orange juice and very sweet. Closest thing to good orange juice I've had in the UK.

P

Peatness

Has anyone tried the Valencian orange ice lollies in Morrisons? Well worth a try, 100% orange juice and very sweet. Closest thing to good orange juice I've had in the UK.
Yes, I think they contain silicon dioxide or something that isn't listed on the ingredient list. Waitrose sells the same

golder

Yes, I think they contain silicon dioxide or something that isn't listed on the ingredient list. Waitrose sells the same
Interesting, these taste amazing. How did you find out about the unlisted silica?

Jayvee

Why would they use silica? That's really annoying if they do, I can see no reason for it as their isn't any other ingredients for it to prevent clumping from.

Last edited:
P

Peatness

Interesting, these taste amazing. How did you find out about the unlisted silica?

Why would they use silica? That's really annoying if they do, I can see no reason for it as their isn't any other ingredients for it to prevent clumping from.
Sorry, I don't have confirmation - I used to eat these and eventually had to stop because they were irritating my gut. I think there is something in them not listed - it could be citric acid or sulphite

Jayvee

Sorry, I don't have confirmation - I used to eat these and eventually had to stop because they were irritating my gut. I think there is something in them not listed - it could be citric acid or sulphite

I'll keep having them and see, I'm not that sensitive to silica it seems so maybe I'm not the best judge but I actually felt pretty good after having them. Did you have the morrisons ones or were they just the waitrose ones you had?

P

Peatness

I'll keep having them and see, I'm not that sensitive to silica it seems so maybe I'm not the best judge but I actually felt pretty good after having them. Did you have the morrisons ones or were they just the waitrose ones you had?
Morrisons, waitrose, and M&S ones last summer. They are delicious

I found these articles

Last edited by a moderator:

GodsHound

Complete bollocks... meanwhile last year there were huge outbreaks of salmonella in supermarket eggs... eggs from chickens vaccinated against salmonella... an animal's wellbeing is it's strongest defence against illness... removing birds from natural grasslands, away from the sun as soon as spring comes...sick

Jayvee

Another one found today. Not strictly 'peat friendly' but maple butter in Aldi. Makes for a nice treat anyway. Made from 100% maple syrup (that is listed on ingredients anyway).

P

Peatness

Complete bollocks... meanwhile last year there were huge outbreaks of salmonella in supermarket eggs... eggs from chickens vaccinated against salmonella... an animal's wellbeing is it's strongest defence against illness... removing birds from natural grasslands, away from the sun as soon as spring comes...sick
I agree - it's another attempt to disrupt the food supply

golder

Another one found today. Not strictly 'peat friendly' but maple butter in Aldi. Makes for a nice treat anyway. Made from 100% maple syrup (that is listed on ingredients anyway).
Well found. I also found a nice sized maple syrup for £3.50 in Lidl that if pay £6+ on Amazon. Not lifechanging, but worth noting.

Lizb

Good find. Have you used them?
Not yet. Only found that today. Frozen oranges - I would like to try them for sure. I do wonder how long oranges in the supermarket have been off the tree and if anything good remains in them.

I must admit I tend to buy carton juice these days.

P

Peatness

1649078640100.png

P

Peatness