Thoughts On Vitamin B5 For Oily Hair!

GorillaHead

So i am really curious about vitamin b5 and its affects in lipids. Very little studies.

reports about it making peoples skin way less oily is interesting. Does it inhibit androgenic action? Similar affects like accutane.

most reports ive read is that it causes hairloss due to biotin deficiency.

Another report i read was b5 and vitamin a helped someones hair significantly.

Ever since i went from .15mg of finasteride to .03. My hair got real oily.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

SOMO

B5 does decrease Sebum and is a popular "acne cure."

However, high-doses of B5 often cause significant hair loss. It may be anecdotal, but I would check out the acne.org reports on higher doses of B5.

After experimenting with supplements for many years, I learned 2 painful truths:
1. Supplementing with high dose B-Vitamins can throw the other B-Vitamins out of whack.
2. Supplementing with the Fat-soluble Vitamins can throw the other Fat-soluble vitamins out of whack.

I think RP said oily skin is due to excess androgen production in the skin, but this production may be incomplete. I think Vitamin A can slow down the rate of sebum production and increase the sterol content of the skin (making it less permeable to water and retain water better.)

TEWL (Trans-Epidermal Water Loss) which is often present in skin disorders (acne, eczema, psoriasis, tinea versicolor, etc.) can itself upregulate sebum production because the "skin oils" (fatty acids/esters) prevent further water loss and maintain the ordered water structure of the skin cells.

Before you try B5, I would try supplementing Vitamin A and seeing if that makes your scalp less oily.

Ketoconazole shampoo would also certainly reduce scalp oil because Ketoconazole reduces sterol synthesis, but this could have negative effects.

RWilly

Try washing with baking soda and a little vinegar... and then a regular wash.

OP
GorillaHead

GorillaHead

Thanks everyone! I believe i solved this issue increasing by increasing my saturated fat consumption

Dr. B

B5 does decrease Sebum and is a popular "acne cure."

However, high-doses of B5 often cause significant hair loss. It may be anecdotal, but I would check out the acne.org reports on higher doses of B5.

After experimenting with supplements for many years, I learned 2 painful truths:
1. Supplementing with high dose B-Vitamins can throw the other B-Vitamins out of whack.
2. Supplementing with the Fat-soluble Vitamins can throw the other Fat-soluble vitamins out of whack.

I think RP said oily skin is due to excess androgen production in the skin, but this production may be incomplete. I think Vitamin A can slow down the rate of sebum production and increase the sterol content of the skin (making it less permeable to water and retain water better.)

TEWL (Trans-Epidermal Water Loss) which is often present in skin disorders (acne, eczema, psoriasis, tinea versicolor, etc.) can itself upregulate sebum production because the "skin oils" (fatty acids/esters) prevent further water loss and maintain the ordered water structure of the skin cells.

Before you try B5, I would try supplementing Vitamin A and seeing if that makes your scalp less oily.

Ketoconazole shampoo would also certainly reduce scalp oil because Ketoconazole reduces sterol synthesis, but this could have negative effects.
what if you took 500mg vitamin B5 alongside, 5000MCG of biotin?

rr1

Ray Peat has said that B5 doesn't effect interactions of the others B vitamins, it's works in a different way. He's often recommended 500mg doses of B5 for certain reasons.

Dr. B

Ray Peat has said that B5 doesn't effect interactions of the others B vitamins, it's works in a different way. He's often recommended 500mg doses of B5 for certain reasons.
good stuff mate where did you see this
i have heard that it depletes biotin or interacts with it
biotin definitely seems to have a pro acne effect that gets nullified with B5

some online sources claim b5 depletes taurine and muscle protein synthesis...

i do remember seeing Ray apparently said vitamins b1, niacinamide, b6, biotin and b5 are safe...
i think he said riboflavin is the biggest offender with allergenicity
and with choline, b12 folate he doesnt like supplementing due to the pro methylation actions