Thoughts on this study please

Ben.

The structural similarity means that sugar competes with vitamin C for entry into cells (via insulin). Because of this competition, the Ottobonis emphasize the need to reduce sugar consumption “if ascorbic acid supplementation is to be of benefit….”

Is that realy how it works? ... Damn ... all the vitamin c in fruits sure is in trouble then.

Interesting. First questions that come to my mind:

- How effective would reducing sugar consumption really be? Without carbs, cortisol would raise blood glucose nevertheless.

- Does it mean that vitamin C supplementation would somehow simulate diabetes? If they compete for cell uptake, the more vitamin C you take the less glucose could enter the cell and would therefore stay in the bloodstream. Keeping blood glucose elevated.

Don't know how much sense this makes...

Peater Piper

Would love to hear thoughts on this study: Sugar and Vitamin C
I doubt this is an issue unless you're insulin resistant, though it makes some sense if supplementing to do so in a fasted state since hyperglycemia will reduce cellular absorption. Diabetics tend to benefit from vitamin c because high glucose (or poor diet) leads to deficiency.

OP
livesimply

livesimply

JohnHafterson

Vitamin C has a few ways to enter the cell:

Probably not an issue if you're getting good amount in diet and quality diet.

Probably an issue with crappy nutrient deficient diets.

JohnHafterson

I doubt this is an issue unless you're insulin resistant, though it makes some sense if supplementing to do so in a fasted state since hyperglycemia will reduce cellular absorption. Diabetics tend to benefit from vitamin c because high glucose (or poor diet) leads to deficiency.
True - I use Vitamin C as an aldose reductase inhibitor and diabetes complication preventative/remediating agent.

This guy JJ Cunningham did a lot.of work on Vit C and diabetes in the 90s.

In his work it didn't take much just 100mg at meal time was sufficient to normalize sorbitol levels in diabetic red blood cells.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals