Thoughts On Sprouted Grains?

reality

I used to be a big oatmeal eater, I loved it. However I stopped eating it because it gave me digestive issues, along with the knowledge of phytates etc etc

I’m considering trying them again but sprouted version. I know ray peat has commented favourably on sprouted grains

I’m thinking sprouted oats would provide a lot of good nutrition (especially hard to get minerals like magnesium), without the harmful phytates and and the hydrolysis of the storage protein.

thoughts?

GelatinGoblin

Oats are sh*t, Buckwheat is better. Potatoes are a LOT better if you can digest them of course.
:Potato:
:rolleyes:

Jessie

I think something like this would be highly individualistic. If a person isn't dealing with any intestinal LPS concerns (a very big if) then sprouted grains are probably a good source of nutrition. From my own experience, and from many others experiences, well cooked refined white rice seems to be the most digestible starch.

OP
R

reality

I think something like this would be highly individualistic. If a person isn't dealing with any intestinal LPS concerns (a very big if) then sprouted grains are probably a good source of nutrition. From my own experience, and from many others experiences, well cooked refined white rice seems to be the most digestible starch.

White rice is pretty much the only starch I eat, with occasional white potato. I wanted to include oats for a bit of variety

I’m also concerned white rice doesn’t have many nutrients, especially since it’s a bit part of my diet.

ursidae

I have the same concerns about white rice. Today I cooked it in coconut water, fortified it with tender greens and finally added some mung bean sprouts. With some fresh squeezed lemon juice and grated cucumber it turned out great. You could also cook it in bone broth

Jessie

White rice is pretty much the only starch I eat, with occasional white potato. I wanted to include oats for a bit of variety

I’m also concerned white rice doesn’t have many nutrients, especially since it’s a bit part of my diet.
Yeah probably so. Even more so if you buy non-fortified rice, which I typically do just to avoid the excess iron. You could always cook it in broth or add mineral drops to increase nutrition. But it would probably be advisable to just keep rice consumption to a minimum anyways and focus on good nutritious sugars. I probably eat 1/4-1/2 cup of white rice 2 or 3 times a week, so not very often. If I did it everyday I would probably cook it in broth, or milk. If you cook in milk you could make a delicious sweet version. Add some cinnamon, vanilla, gelatin, honey/sugar, etc.

GelatinGoblin

Until the metabolism is repaired. Than you can venture out to much better sources and foods.
Hint:

:potato:

;)

Jessie

Yeah potatoes are really good for many people. I tend to do fair with them. They have more nutrients then white rice, a lot more actually. Potatoes are one of the richest sources of potassium.

J

james2388

Industrialized plant foods have nowhere near the minerals that you think they have, that's the same story of wheat, oats are no different. If you want magnesium, drink mag bicarb.
Sprouted grains will slowly kill you.
Let carbs be carbs, rice, potatoes, fruit, milk sugar, white sugar.
Supplement minerals.
Plant foods are just macros, electrolytes - NPK and alkaloidal, phyto chemical and compounds.

Jessie

Most magnesium supplements I've tried give me erections. This may initially sound like a good thing, but I don't like having them at inappropriate times. I don't want to take a mag lysinate capsule with lunch and get a erection while working, lol. Topical stuff does the same thing. In fact I have a bottle of Magnoil that's nearly full, I've barely used it. I decided to take some about a week ago (15 drops on my forearm) and within 15 minutes I had an erection.

Taking all this into account, I try to just stick with food sources. Mineral water, orange juice, cocoa, and meats. I also do epsom salt baths/soaks 1-2 times a week just in case diet alone isn't giving me enough mag. The baths tend to do the same thing as the supplements, but I'm not like in a sensitive situation surrounded by other people so I can tolerate it a little better. But yeah, if you have ED I would definitely recommend giving magnesium a try, it certainly can't hurt, haha.

GelatinGoblin

Industrialized plant foods have nowhere near the minerals that you think they have, that's the same story of wheat, oats are no different. If you want magnesium, drink mag bicarb.
Sprouted grains will slowly kill you.
Let carbs be carbs, rice, potatoes, fruit, milk sugar, white sugar.
Supplement minerals.
Plant foods are just macros, electrolytes - NPK and alkaloidal, phyto chemical and compounds.

Kind of a scary thought thinking about the nutritional depletion in foods, sure a potato grown on virgin land and without pesticides may have 400mg of potassium per 100g of paste with the skin, the amount being listed on almost all bags of potatos, but how do we know the same is true for some Walmart potato? Where the hell to buy organic potatos :|?

J

james2388

Kind of a scary thought thinking about the nutritional depletion in foods, sure a potato grown on virgin land and without pesticides may have 400mg of potassium per 100g of paste with the skin, the amount being listed on almost all bags of potatos, but how do we know the same is true for some Walmart potato? Where the hell to buy organic potatos :|?

given that industrial fertilizer is NPK nitrogen phosphorus and potassium, potassium shouldn't be as much of a concern.
Food Database fraud exists for sure. Food should be tested regularly, but it would be a hindrance to producers.

Kray

I used to be a big oatmeal eater, I loved it. However I stopped eating it because it gave me digestive issues, along with the knowledge of phytates etc etc

I’m considering trying them again but sprouted version. I know ray peat has commented favourably on sprouted grains

I’m thinking sprouted oats would provide a lot of good nutrition (especially hard to get minerals like magnesium), without the harmful phytates and and the hydrolysis of the storage protein.

thoughts?

Just checking the forum for "oats" and found this thread. I do eat sprouted organic oats, make them into an "oat bake" with raisins, applesauce as sweetener, milk, some eggs- baked- then topped with butter and maple syrup. I disagree they are void of minerals and vitamins. As for being "slow killers", who can say? I don't eat them more than maybe once a month. I think they have their place in "moderation" category -- so as not to throw the baby out with the bathwater. And it is individual, according to your overall metabolic state. They are gluten-free, fwiw.

Last edited:

Inaut

Normally I work out on an empty stomach (a little carbs before) as that is when it fits in with my day.... Noticed today that I worked out after a bowl of sprouted oats, cherries and yogurt and had a great workout. My pump was very noticeable. I’d contribute that to the oats???