Thoughts On SAM - E

Frankdee20

So I am always looking for things that ultimately improve mental health. I’ve been chronically depressed for 20 plus years. I don’t do pharmaceuticals ever. The supplement SAM E helps with depression, this is beyond an anecdotal fact. Any concerns though about how it effects Serotonin ? Obviously it helps the liver convert or create neurotransmitters. Is it more dopaminergic though ? What exactly is the antidepressant mechanism ? Is it a Serotonin booster ? Can one simply take methyl folate or b vitamins for the same effect ?

spudchick

I can only share my experience as I don't know the mechanism, but I have PTSD and found supplementing with SAMe made me jittery and restless even at tiny doses. Alternately, trimethyglycine (TMG) can help the body produce SAMe on its own. When I tried a low-end dose of that, I had a similar increase in energy but was less jittery, and my body became accustomed to it within a few days, after which it stopped having a stimulant effect. My reason for trying it was arthritis, but did notice it helped lift the clouds of remaining grief from a loss the previous year. It does also seem to help moderately with arthritis.

I can't post links but Examine.com is one of my go-to sites for detailed yet still (mostly) accessible info on supplements.

goodandevil

I can only share my experience as I don't know the mechanism, but I have PTSD and found supplementing with SAMe made me jittery and restless even at tiny doses. Alternately, trimethyglycine (TMG) can help the body produce SAMe on its own. When I tried a low-end dose of that, I had a similar increase in energy but was less jittery, and my body became accustomed to it within a few days, after which it stopped having a stimulant effect. My reason for trying it was arthritis, but did notice it helped lift the clouds of remaining grief from a loss the previous year. It does also seem to help moderately with arthritis.

I can't post links but Examine.com is one of my go-to sites for detailed yet still (mostly) accessible info on supplements.
It would be interesting to see if glycine canceled this effect, or collageh, because it's a methionine derivitave iirc

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals