Thoughts on oat meal for breakfast?

TypicalJock

Since I dont have access to eggs since im on a budget I would assume that natural oatmeal for breakfast with some skimmed milk should be good.
What do you guys think?

tankasnowgod

Since I dont have access to eggs since im on a budget I would assume that natural oatmeal for breakfast with some skimmed milk should be good.
What do you guys think?
Probably ok. I assume natural isn't fortified with iron.

I used to eat oatmeal a lot as a kid. I always like the flavored varieties. I wouldn't hesitate to use brown sugar if I were to eat it today.

Atman

Soaking and boiling them will probably increase the nutrional value and reduce the irritation of the intestine.
Either way, I would not recommend using them as a staple longterm.

Also, where do you live that eggs are not affordable?

mostlylurking

What do you guys think?
Other than the carcinogenicity of the oats, the increase in endotoxin from feeding the bacteria with the hard to digest starch, and the big hit of insulin triggered by all that starch turned to straight glucose, what's not to like?

There are lots of better choices: cottage cheese with fruit, milk with some hydrolyzed gelatin & sugar & vanilla, low lactate Greek yogurt with marmalade. My new favorite, Greek yogurt with canned dark cherries.

P.S. I think eggs are pretty cheap protein, all things considered. But then I haven't bought any for about 8 years because I have chickens.

OP
TypicalJock

TypicalJock

Other than the carcinogenicity of the oats, the increase in endotoxin from feeding the bacteria with the hard to digest starch, and the big hit of insulin triggered by all that starch turned to straight glucose, what's not to like?

There are lots of better choices: cottage cheese with fruit, milk with some hydrolyzed gelatin & sugar & vanilla, low lactate Greek yogurt with marmalade. My new favorite, Greek yogurt with canned dark cherries.

P.S. I think eggs are pretty cheap protein, all things considered. But then I haven't bought any for about 8 years because I have chickens.
ill look into yogurt thanks

dukesbobby777

Stick with the greek strained stuff; Fage is a good brand. They strain the lactic acid off, which makes it "Greek".

I buy their 0% one and it tastes just like cream. It tastes amazing but also makes me slightly suspicious of how they get that thick creamy texture. I remember it written here by someone once that companies legally don’t have to declare if their products contain gums/thickeners or not.

I wouldn’t say Fage is cheap. It’s a lot more expensive than the cheap store versions (which are definitely more ‘yoghurty’ in texture, and have that gross sour taste). If I want to spend £10 per day on food (which is £280 per month), a pot of Fage costs almost £3. A third of my daily budget gone just on that. But that’s here in the UK.

mostlylurking

I buy their 0% one and it tastes just like cream. It tastes amazing but also makes me slightly suspicious of how they get that thick creamy texture. I remember it written here by someone once that companies legally don’t have to declare if their products contain gums/thickeners or not.

I wouldn’t say Fage is cheap. It’s a lot more expensive than the cheap store versions (which are definitely more ‘yoghurty’ in texture, and have that gross sour taste). If I want to spend £10 per day on food (which is £280 per month), a pot of Fage costs almost £3. A third of my daily budget gone just on that. But that’s here in the UK.
There was discussion about Greek strained yogurt on the Herb Doctors show with Ray Peat. The Herb Doctors were recommending Fage Greek yogurt to the listeners; they think it's pretty wonderful. Ray said to avoid sour yogurt. I don't think Fage puts gums/carrageenan in their yogurt, I'm pretty careful to read the labels closely, but I'll check it to be sure when I'm at the grocery again.

Fage isn't cheap, but it's better than losing your health. You have to eat something. The goal is 100 grams of good protein each day. The dairy case has better choices than the rest of the store, so long as you are sticking with real milk products.

Grischbal

carob flour is frequently used in yoghurts I think

B

Braveheart

:darts:

reality

Oats are endotoxin breeding ground I would avoid imo.
If you want an alternative to oatmeal then you try rice porridge

I’ve tried every brand of Greek yogurt out there and FAGE is by far the ‘creamiest’ one even their 0% fat. It has no sour or tang to it, it makes me a little suspicious how they get it like that without some additive

mostlylurking

Oats are endotoxin breeding ground I would avoid imo.
If you want an alternative to oatmeal then you try rice porridge

I’ve tried every brand of Greek yogurt out there and FAGE is by far the ‘creamiest’ one even their 0% fat. It has no sour or tang to it, it makes me a little suspicious how they get it like that without some additive
They get the Greek yogurt like that by straining the sour lactic acid out of it. If you find that more liquid appears in the remaining contents after some has been eaten, simply pour it out; do not stir it in. Lactic acid is not good for you.

The rice porridge has the same issues that the oatmeal has. Stay away from grains.

I looked at my Fage container, 2% yogurt; there's only milk, cream, and several strains of bacteria. Nothing else. No carrageenan, no gums added.

hei

Aren't they a bit high in PUFA (like 3-4g/100g)? It never seems to be mentioned for some reason.

ilhanxx

I prefer oat bran, you can mix oat bran home made yoghurt/raw milk with some honey.

gaze

i will say though oats have a good amount of stuff that's relatively hard to get on a peat diet unless your eating liver and oysters weekly. it has a good amount of managanese, molybedenum, vitamin b1, biotin, copper, magnesium. At the end of the day it all comes back to the endotoxin/gut health problem, and the starch is an extreme drawback. i'd say if you can digest it, and don't have major anxiety/serotonin/ gut problems, then it's fine. although eating it with whole milk/ butter is probsbly better than with skim milk

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals