Thoughts On Nootropics?

Parsifal

What about this one? http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conte...rt00003?crawler=true&mimetype=application/pdf

I think Ginger is quite close to pepper which is known to increase NO.
Hmm... Are there different forms of NO? Because whether NO is beneficial or harmful could depend on the form that it's in... it says in the article I found:

"Reactive nitrogen species, such as nitric oxide (NO), influence signal transduction and cause DNA damage, which contributes to disease processes. Nitric oxide is produced by inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), which is stimulated in response to various stresses. [6]-gingerol was reported to dose-dependently inhibit NO production and reduce iNOS in lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-stimulated mouse macrophages (Ippoushi et al. 2003)."
Which is saying that Nitric Oxide causes DNA damage. But your source says Ginger:

"Conclusions:
Ginger root juice is capable of relaxing resistance blood vessels. Activation of
ERK1/2 and eNOS through phosphorylation in endothelial cells may be a mechanism underlying
the vasodilator activity of ginger root."
Where eNOS is endothelial nitric oxide synthase.

eNOS <> NO

But yea, now that I think about it there are similarities between Black Pepper and Ginger... Also, are you saying that Black Pepper is potentially a Nootropic, or Adaptogenic?

Parsifal

Hmm... Are there different forms of NO? Because whether NO is beneficial or harmful could depend on the form that it's in... it says in the article I found:

"Reactive nitrogen species, such as nitric oxide (NO), influence signal transduction and cause DNA damage, which contributes to disease processes. Nitric oxide is produced by inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), which is stimulated in response to various stresses. [6]-gingerol was reported to dose-dependently inhibit NO production and reduce iNOS in lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-stimulated mouse macrophages (Ippoushi et al. 2003)."
Which is saying that Nitric Oxide causes DNA damage. But your source says Ginger:

"Conclusions:
Ginger root juice is capable of relaxing resistance blood vessels. Activation of
ERK1/2 and eNOS through phosphorylation in endothelial cells may be a mechanism underlying
the vasodilator activity of ginger root."
Where eNOS is endothelial nitric oxide synthase.

eNOS <> NO

But yea, now that I think about it there are similarities between Black Pepper and Ginger... Also, are you saying that Black Pepper is potentially a Nootropic, or Adaptogenic?
I think Ray said that black pepper is cytotoxic. I don't think that stimulating eNOS is a good thing.

I think Ray said that black pepper is cytotoxic. I don't think that stimulating eNOS is a good thing.
Well, cytotoxic in what way? Sometimes cytotoxicity is good in the context of killing cancerous and pre-cancerous cells.

DaveFoster

Why use these things? Why not use a serotonin antagonist, cortisol antagonist, and dopamine agonist?

For example, caffeine and l-theanine; caffeine, niacinamide, and cyproheptadine; caffeine, aspirin, and l-theanine; T3 (and aspirin). Some combination of the aforementioned, along with thiamine and biotin.

Why use these things? Why not use a serotonin antagonist, cortisol antagonist, and dopamine agonist?

For example, caffeine and l-theanine; caffeine, niacinamide, and cyproheptadine; caffeine, aspirin, and l-theanine; T3 (and aspirin). Some combination of the aforementioned, along with thiamine and biotin.
To mention again, Ginger is an awesome anti-inflammatory that clears up my head fog. It's also gently on the stomach in comparison to coffee. If anything, coffee seems to impair my concentration by irritating my stomach.

In your personal experience, do find a difference in how green tea vs. coffee affect you mentally? Green tea seems to be better since it isn't harsh on the stomach.

In my experience, what impairs the gut also impairs the mind.

5 mg Noopept + 50 mg caffeine + 400 mg aspirin is quite nice...
I know about caffeine, but how does the Noopept and Aspirin make you feel? I've never though of using Aspirin like a Nootropic.

Aspirin + Caffeine with intermittent T3 and daily pregnenolone.

If you want to enhance cognition you need to maintain blood flow and metabolism of your frontal lobes. Nothing does that optimally and holistically then the above.

Stryker

What exactly did you feel while taking Noopept?
in the beginning it was a nice subtle motivated feeling of bliss colors looked nice and music was better to listen too
but after about 3 months of 20mg a day it started to give me some serious brain fog and a general feeling of being disconnected with reality and erectile dysfunction

in the beginning it was a nice subtle motivated feeling of bliss colors looked nice and music was better to listen too
but after about 3 months of 20mg a day it started to give me some serious brain fog and a general feeling of being disconnected with reality and erectile dysfunction
Wow, that sounds really bad. I've heard other people say you need to take choline with it. But personally I stay away from new drugs, and stick with what works. Coffee :)

DaveFoster

If you want to enhance cognition you need to maintain blood flow and metabolism of your frontal lobes. Nothing does that optimally and holistically then the above.
Well said.

papaya

how do u do the intermittent t3? how many days on/off etc? do u ever take t4?

papaya

I good diet is better than any nootropic I've tried. But I did try a good amount of nootropics before I became health conscious. I was looking for that magic pill to make everything feel better and help me work better. Needless to say i didn't find anything that even came close to meeting my expectations.
Here's what I tried:
caffeine - There's a reason why everyone drinks coffee, caffeine does what it claims.
coluracetam - Didn't notice a thing,
adrafinil - Gave some focus, but it's bad for your liver. Also I do remember I felt more anxiety while using it. Not worth it.
theanine - Relaxed me a little, not much otherwise noticed.
noopept - Made me feel somewhat disconnected from reality. Didn't notice any improvements mentally,
oxiracetam - Tastes like crap and that's about it.
pramiracetam - Somewhat focusing but emotionally numbed me.
aniracetam - Nothing
rhodiola - Slight energy boost.
ciltep - Did not notice anything.
piracetem - Probably the only one I would be willing to try again. Seemed to make my vision a bit more clearer and brighter, didn't exactly motivate me, but made me feel like I was 'supposed' to be doing something greater. On the negative side it made me pretty moody, which is out of the norm for me.
sulbutiamine - Nothing
bacopa - Nothing
alcar - Energy boost but felt tired shortly after
mct oil - Diarrhea, lost a lot of weight too.
choline - Lethargic
ginseng - Slight energy boost.
gingko biloba - Nothing.
what brand of mct oil did u use?

Doesn't caffeine reduce blood flow to the brain?