Thoughts on Narcolepsy

rijo

I was diagnosed with narcolepsy 4 years ago based on my MSLT test plus the fact that I have cataplexy.

It's not particularly bad case though, and I'm able to get by without medication.

The main problem that I have is that I get periods of extreme drowsiness. It feels like a brain fog with tension and burning behind my eyes.
Can't focus on anything, and have to scratch and rub myself to keep from dozing off. The only two things that I've found can snap me out of it is having a conversation with someone, or playing video games. The problem is that it comes right back and the only way to keep it away for good is to take a nap.

Considering that my case is fairly mild, I was hoping that there might be something I could do to get rid of these sleep episodes.

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks! :pray

mostlylurking

I had narcolepsy when I was in college (about 50 years ago). It's never a good sign when you fall asleep at the beginning of a Johnny Winter concert....

I also fell asleep on a first date, on the way TO the party. Anyhow, I now suspect that in addition to being hypothyroid I was also thiamine deficient. Maybe checking these two things out would be helpful for you.

The other symptoms you describe are very familiar to me. Additional thiamine helps, along with thyroid medication (with T3 included).

OP
R

rijo

Just thought I'd update for anyone who may care:

I tried microdosing LSD for unrelated reasons and soon realized that it alleviated all of the symptoms i noted above. I get clean, even-keeled energy throughout the whole day, no desire to nap.

I tried posting this to the narcolepsy subreddit but my post was immediately removed. Sad that people aren't gonna be researching this.

dlind70

Maybe seems like an odd solution to this old post but I think your issue is you are skipping breakfast a lot of times. The stomach meridian is connected to eyes and especially in the morning if you are rubbing your eyes that is actually a reflex to the stomach meridian meaning you need to eat breakfast

cs3000

Narcolepsy is linked to lack of orexin neurons / lack of orexin neuron activity, & REM / Slow Wave sleep skew. xyrem is a medication used to reverse this sleep skew that commonly helps narcolepsy. some antidepressants agonise 5-ht1a receptors, they reduce REM and increase slow wave sleep. might be too simplistic but maybe this has similar properties as its partially agonising this receptor. though i saw a partial agonist didn't work for this so idk it's complicated, anyway i haven't gotten much out of focusing on receptors as things generally have complex multi faceted effects instead of just targeted to one specific thing alone

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals