Thoughts On N-A-C And Alpha Lipoic Acid

Frankdee20

Thoughts on these please ? They’re notable compounds that assist in detoxification.
I do not see much about them on this forum. Basically want to know what helps with removing heavy metals (Cadmium, Lead, Aluminum, etc)....?

LuMonty

I don't have any numbers on NAC from blood tests etc, but after taking it for about a week (600mg, NOW brand) I became super nauseous and weak until I stopped taking it. Tried it two more times, each about 3 weeks from each other, same effect. The amount of ALA I was taking was small and in a Carnitine supplement, one of the two gave me massive migraines so I stopped.

Instead I used coriander and cilantro for several months.

That said, everything I've read about NAC is good for what you're asking about, but I haven't often seen test results and I didn't save anything I was reading at the time, several months ago.

Whatever it detoxed from my liver resulted in a large, darkened area of skin around the area. Must have been iron because it was getting infected easily for a month or so. Hopefully my experiences are helpful to you if you decide NAC is worth using, and based on my experience I'd try small doses if possible.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

I don't have any numbers on NAC from blood tests etc, but after taking it for about a week (600mg, NOW brand) I became super nauseous and weak until I stopped taking it. Tried it two more times, each about 3 weeks from each other, same effect. The amount of ALA I was taking was small and in a Carnitine supplement, one of the two gave me massive migraines so I stopped.

That said, everything I've read about NAC is good for what you're asking about, but I haven't often seen test results and I didn't save anything I was reading at the time, several months ago.

Whatever it detoxed from my liver resulted in a large, darkened area of skin around the area. Must have been iron because it was getting infected easily for a month or so. Hopefully my experiences are helpful to you if you decide NAC is worth using, and based on my experience I'd try small doses if possible.

Thank You !

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Nausea seems to be a common complaint with NAC, unsure if that’s dose defendant though.

Seems like they give this to people with Tylenol poisoning to help the liver.

LuMonty

You're welcome!
Nausea seems to be a common complaint with NAC, unsure if that’s dose defendant though.

Seems like they give this to people with Tylenol poisoning to help the liver.

That's what caught my interest about it because I had my liver checked after being on a crappy medication and came back with some abnormal-but-not-quite-worrisome readings. Wanted to get rid of the stuff (esp. any of the medication or its leftovers), maybe too well as you saw. My memory is fuzzy but I think I read, studies or personal use, of lower than 600-1800mg use. I'd assume if you could find a smaller dose or a consistent way to divide capsule contents that a lower dose would be easier on the body, at least for a trial period. When I tried the 1800 after 5 days of the lower doses, I didn't eat for a day.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

NAC is not recommended unless you are treating something serious (like OCD).
It messes with the gut lining, ruins blood brain barrier, ruins lungs, damages heart, increases cortisol, stops autophagy. Not worth the risks.

One Type Of Antioxidant May Not Be As Safe As Once Thought

Starvation-induced autophagy is regulated by mitochondrial reactive oxygen species leading to AMPK activation. - PubMed - NCBI

Oh man... lol. All of this from an acetylated amino acid ?

LuMonty

NAC is not recommended unless you are treating something serious (like OCD).
It messes with the gut lining, ruins blood brain barrier, ruins lungs, damages heart, increases cortisol, stops autophagy. Not worth the risks.

One Type Of Antioxidant May Not Be As Safe As Once Thought

Starvation-induced autophagy is regulated by mitochondrial reactive oxygen species leading to AMPK activation. - PubMed - NCBI

Thanks much for the links, definitely won't be taking anymore of the stuff.

ddjd

NAC is just terrible for the Thyroid. You could maybe use it once every month, or few months and get away with it. At least in my experience.

I've used R- Lipoic Acid and found it helped a lot with some joint pain. I'm not sure if it affects the thyroid but definitely preferable to NAC in terms of something you could use regularly, IMO

belcanto

:DR-ALA is surprisingly helpful with joint pain! I can make a fist in the mornings again. :D