Thoughts on Iodine?

mgrabs

How much iodine do we truly need daily

Thoughts on higher doses up to 1-3 grams

Iodine from nori,kelp or other sea veggies

Lugols iodine for daily dose

Does it actually wreck your thyroid?

Where fan you find the most iodine in foods?

I remember taking it a few months ago and it actually warmed my body up better than T3 did. Even felt mire intelligent if that makes sense

AlaskaJono

Search on the forum. The search system is fantastic - in the upper right of your screen. I personally have taken lugol's iodine, but only up to 120-150 mg for a short while. I have supplemented 50mg daily for almost a year. No issues. But Peat is not into it . Just saying. Eating seaweed/shellfish weekly or more helps for sure with natural style supplementation of iodine and other minerals. I have never taken thyroid meds, so don't know how it compares. It did not wreck my thyroid by taking it.
Do some research my friend on the site.

OP
M

mgrabs

Search on the forum. The search system is fantastic - in the upper right of your screen. I personally have taken lugol's iodine, but only up to 120-150 mg for a short while. I have supplemented 50mg daily for almost a year. No issues. But Peat is not into it . Just saying. Eating seaweed/shellfish weekly or more helps for sure with natural style supplementation of iodine and other minerals. I have never taken thyroid meds, so don't know how it compares. It did not wreck my thyroid by taking it.
Do some research my friend on the site.
I have, i always do before posting. I read a few. Its nice to put something up in recent years to shed light on this topic with new voices. I tried high dose iodine a few months ago at 12mg and didn’t do well. Or something wasn’t working. I felt more hypo it was so strange. I’m even under Dr brownsteins daughters care. So im aware of iodine from reading most of his literature. He wasn’t taking new patients but his daughter was at the time. I met him on the first visit

AlaskaJono

I have, i always do before posting. I read a few. Its nice to put something up in recent years to shed light on this topic with new voices. I tried high dose iodine a few months ago at 12mg and didn’t do well. Or something wasn’t working. I felt more hypo it was so strange. I’m even under Dr brownsteins daughters care. So im aware of iodine from reading most of his literature. He wasn’t taking new patients but his daughter was at the time. I met him on the first visit
Good to hear re preliminary research, and your trial. Yes I started one drop per day and added a drop to see if there was any issue. I was doing a 'macro mineral' top up, which included magnesium, Selenium, boron and a few others. I never had particularly thyroid issues myself, but I am aware of both hyp/hyper thyroid Symptoms situations that can exist for people. And have seen this in individual clients in the past. I have 30+ years practicing TCM/Acu. Lugol's did help a lot of folks here, maybe they will chime in. Cheers.

Anything more than a drop of lugol's makes my thyroid sore, regardless of whether selenium is taken concurrently. It seems like diluting the tincture (still the same net amount) in a cup of water mitigates that a bit, but it never seemed to do me enough good to warrant taking.

AlaskaJono

Anything more than a drop of lugol's makes my thyroid sore, regardless of whether selenium is taken concurrently. It seems like diluting the tincture (still the same net amount) in a cup of water mitigates that a bit, but it never seemed to do me enough good to warrant taking.
Absolutely dilute the drops in a glass water or OJ, etc.. . Turns OJ brown and tastes great! Not.... . Eat seaweed and or seafood and see what happens, poco a poco, you will build up minerals.

David PS

“No, I have never recommended several milligram doses of iodide, and I have often pointed out the damage to the thyroid gland that even moderate iodide supplements can cause to the thyroid gland." -Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals