Thoughts On Fasting (Facebook Post)

Fasting oke, but then reading raw vegan! is absurd, you cannot get nutrients from vegetables if you do not break the cell structure containing the nutrients by cooking.
second absurd thing: you can only gain 30 grams of muscle per day, so after 50 days that is only 1.5 kilo.

tara

you cannot get nutrients from vegetables if you do not break the cell structure containing the nutrients by cooking
I'm not vegan, bu t I eat plants as part of my diet. I am sure that many people succeed in getting valuable nutrition from raw plant foods. Cooking is not the only way to break cells.

tara

yeah throw your protein rich beans in the blender, that is gonna work very well.
I'm not arguing here that this is a good idea for everyone or most people.

But perhaps you are aware that there are a number of people who have lived on raw vegan diets for years without dying, and some of them have rebuilt their health quite well. I would have thought that any one such person would be counter-evidence to your extreme claim.
Certainly blenders can be effective for breaking cell-structures. Healthy teeth be employed to good effect too.
Not sure where your beans come into it.

I'm not arguing here that this is a good idea for everyone or most people.

But perhaps you are aware that there are a number of people who have lived on raw vegan diets for years without dying, and some of them have rebuilt their health quite well. I would have thought that any one such person would be counter-evidence to your extreme claim.
Certainly blenders can be effective for breaking cell-structures. Healthy teeth be employed to good effect too.
Not sure where your beans come into it.
Beans stand for protein. Peat recommends 70 gram of protein. Try to achieve that with raw beans and veggies.
The most profitable effect of veganism is the abstinence of PUFA and low tryptophan and methionine. This can be healing practice yes, but I do not think a human is a gorilla.

Last edited:

tara

you cannot get nutrients from vegetables if you do not break the cell structure containing the nutrients by cooking.
This was the extreme statement I was objecting to. It's demonstrably false.

Beans stand for protein. Peat recommends 70 gram of protein. Try to achieve that with raw beans and veggies.
Yes, Peat does recommend such amounts of protein.
You can say beans stand for protein if you like, but Peat has pointed to potential problems with beans as a major source of protein, and does not recommend them. He's suggested several other plant sources as giving much better protein, including fruit, leaves and potatoes (though potatoes do need to be cooked). He's compared leaf protein favourably with animal-derived proteins, an has expressed ignorance, rather than negativity, about fruit proteins and ketoacids.
And yes it is harder for many people to eat large amounts of protein that way. But some people have managed to get enough to rebuild themselves this way when animal proteins in larger amounts failed.

I'm not trying to convert you to raw veganism, and I'm an omnivore with a well-used stove myself. But I wouldn't dis those who find it works well for them, either.

I like your reaction, thanx. You are right, taking such Peat knowledge and applying it into a smart vegan diet would be pretty awesome way of healing.
But I do not see these advanced methods explained by these persons? The impression this guy is giving, to me, is highly disturbing and potentially dangerous for peoples health.

I see anti thyroid nuts, seeds, radish, etc. endotoxin feeding fibers. This is going to generate a lot of serotonin from gut microbes.
Eventually this will make a person crash hard.
Also, eating and preparing so much veg-food is time consuming, uneconomical, expensive and totally based on certain stable input of vegetables from crops and supermarkets that is not viable for poor people.
So to me, these kind of practices are absurd.

let the guy explain, how he can generate such super-hypertrophic effect of gaining over 1 pond of muscle per day afgter such catabolis method of fasting on water. The I will believe him

OP
Arrade

Arrade

let the guy explain, how he can generate such super-hypertrophic effect of gaining over 1 pond of muscle per day afgter such catabolis method of fasting on water. The I will believe him
Yeah that muscle gain is too fast. Maybe muscle memory? Quickly gaining what was lost?

You can gain 4 pounds a week, in fat / water weight.
So his gain: 54 pounds / 50 days is about 1.08 pound gained per day. That should be mostly water than.
edit 50 days not 40

Last edited:

tara

But I do not see these advanced methods explained by these persons?
I'm not intending to promote the approach of the guy in that video. Probably the OP should be explaining what the video he linked has to do with the forum, or why he posted it, or what he was thinking about it, rather than just dumping a link here.

The impression this guy is giving, to me, is highly disturbing and potentially dangerous for peoples health.
I do think some people get themselves into trouble with vegan diets that don't work so well for them, sometimes quickly, sometimes more slowly.

I see anti thyroid nuts, seeds, radish, etc.
Probably quite possible to overdo these. A few here and there probably aren't a big deal for most people.

endotoxin feeding fibers.
Some people seem to do better with less fibre. I'm not sure everyone would though. Fibre can both feed endotoxin-producing bacteria, but also help sweep away excess bile-bound toxins and estrogen from the gut. Peat seems to favour including some specific kinds of fibre regularly (eg raw carrots, cooked bamboo, mushrooms), but not too much of the other kinds. I think transit speed is important for keeping endotoxin from becoming burdensome.
Also, eating and preparing so much veg-food is time consuming, uneconomical, expensive and totally based on certain stable input of vegetables from crops and supermarkets that is not viable for poor people.
I agree the logistics can often be difficult, depending on where one is, habits one has learned etc.
But I think in some places, vegetarian and vegan food is cheaper and more readily available than animal produce. The global economic system and agricultural complex makes getting good food hard for many.

BTW, I also didn't mean to imply that Peat recommends getting major protein and calories from leaves either - he says the protein and minerals are good, but they have their downsides too. He has been very positive about potato protein too, but he's less enthusiastic about starch, and extracting the juice is laborious work only worth the effort if one needs to.

So to me, these kind of practices are absurd.
Fortunately, no one is trying to make you do it. :)

Yeah that muscle gain is too fast. Maybe muscle memory? Quickly gaining what was lost?
Seems likely.

So his gain: 54 pounds / 50 days is about 1.08 pound gained per day. That should be mostly water than.
We are all mostly water and fat. :)

"Muscle Memory" has nothing to do with building muscle via hypertrophy.
Once your muscles has been destructed by catabolism with fasting, you need to rebuild them again with protein.
Motor Memory
Another type of memory is memory for how to perform actions, referred to in popular culture as “muscle memory.” This type of memory, along with other types of memory that are not declarative memories for facts or events, is implicit memory. Different types of implicit motor memory are associated with two different brain areas: the basal ganglia and the cerebellum. The basal ganglia exert control over learning of action sequences so that even a complex set of action steps can become automated, and the cerebellum contributes to using error signals to learn appropriate fine movement adjustments.

tara

Once your muscles has been destructed by catabolism with fasting, you need to rebuild them again with protein.
You do need to build them up with protein, yes.
But I think there is some evidence that if you've already had muscles before, it is easier to rebuild them.