Thoughts On Daily Chocolate As A Major Source Of Nutrition

OP
Francisco

Francisco

I wasn't worried about oxalate until today, but now I'm thinking of doing a few more tweaks. Lol. What's the rest of your diet like these days? How are you doing? Undereating really is so detrimental to one's health, it's hard to find balance that's for sure.

Undereating is terrible haha. Once you become aware of what’s “good” and what’s “bad” you can never go back to eating whatever you want. It’s a double-edged sword in a way.
My diet changes a lot depending on a number of factors like budget and availability of certain foods. I would love to eat mostly fruit, but that’s not really possible for me (too expensive), so I have to rely on starches often. I try to choose “safe” starches like white rice and sometimes potatoes if they’re good.
A generally summary of what I eat would look like this though:
- Orange juice
- Other fruit juices (apple, cranberry, cherry)
- Jello (I use the other fruit juices I just mentioned to make this in combination with gelatin
- Cottage cheese
- Chocolate
- Dates
- Cheese (if it’s good)
- Milk occasionally, usually with coffee or cocoa
- White rice with coconut oil or butter
- Canned light tuna (skipjack)
- Shellfish (shrimp, squid, sometimes oysters)
- Eggs
- Coconut water

I used to eat sweet potatoes a lot for a while, especially the Japanese variety (they’re so good), but I’ve been avoiding them because of negative stuff I’ve heard about beta-carotene on here.

It may sound like a lot, but I still struggle to get enough calories though. I could easily eat 5000 and not be overweight, but often I only get around 2000.

Last edited:

Taotatoes

Undereating is terrible haha. Once you become aware of what’s “good” and what’s “bad” you can never go back to eating whatever you want. It’s a double-edged sword in a way.
My diet changes a lot depending on a number of factors like budget and availability of certain foods. I would love to eat mostly fruit, but that’s not really possible for me (too expensive), so I have to rely on starches often. I try to choose “safe” starches like white rice and sometimes potatoes if they’re good.
A generally summary of what I eat would look like this though:
- Orange juice
- Other fruit juices (apple, cranberry, cherry)
- Jello (I use the other fruit juices I just mentioned to make this in combination with gelatin
- Cottage cheese
- Chocolate
- Dates
- Cheese (if it’s good)
- Milk occasionally, usually with coffee or cocoa
- White rice with coconut oil or butter
- Canned light tuna (skipjack)
- Shellfish (shrimp, squid, sometimes oysters)
- Eggs
- Coconut water

I used to eat sweet potatoes a lot for a while, especially the Japanese variety (they’re so good), but I’ve been avoiding them because of negative stuff I’ve heard about beta-carotene on here.

It may sound like a lot, but I still struggle to get enough calories though. I could easily eat 5000 and not be overweight, but often I only get around 2000.

We eat very similarly! After researching oxalates more yesterday I see potatoes (which I eat large quantities of) are also considered high? I've been trying to get my arthritis more under control the last 10 months, it's been improving steadily but still nagging aches/swelling I've been trying to fix.

Thinking of going high fruits low in oxalate (budget friendly options) and more organs, eggs, white fish, even more dairy and less lean more fatty meats to get more calories. I eat around 3000 calories per day while maintaining as an active 36 year old female. My digestion has never been fantastic but its getting steadily better since I stopped eating a typical bodybuilding diet in my late 20's. Eeek. Lol.

Taotatoes

Care to share the recipe? Seems yummy.

I'll make a batch this weekend to get approximate measurements for you, but being honest I usually wing it based on my own taste and macro requirements after having so many Pinterest fails. I go easier on the gluten free flour alternatives (coconut and almond flour) which usually requires them to be frozen afterwards (still delicious). Having a food processor helps, either a hand held or bowl style works, but you'll need to chop up and soak the dates first before blending with either one.

YourUniverse

We can discuss the known nutrition of chocolate very easily, and others already have. It certainly has its caveats.

That said I cant help but think chocolate has some kind of as yet undiscovered beneficial properties, like eggs. Ray has said it has small amounts of bromocriptine, a prolactin inhibiting drug, and I can attest to its desire-bolstering effects. Chocolate simply makes me feel great. Aztec kings (or maybe it was a single king) purportedly drank 50 cups of hot cocoa per day. I truly think it has a special place in a daily diet.

Phytic acid (look up IP6) also seems to be a prominent anti-carcinogen. Traditional diets took step to reduce it but did not eliminate it. Nor does it block "all important micros" in the quantitative sense (although I think Tristan just mean qualitatively, it interferes with all the important ones).

It is also commonly advised here to eat veggies with liver to block iron. What do you think is doing that, smile?

Informative post. And I see it's been discussed before: What Do You Know About IP6/IP-6/inositol Hexaphosphate/phytate/phytic Acid?.

A recognised brand is even selling phytic acid as a supplement: IP6 (inositol hexaphosphate) 180's.

pauljacob

Good Chocolate bars are expensive. I can afford to buy a bar of Lindt dark 70-80% per week for $3. Is Cocoa powder a viable alternative. If yes, is Dutched Cocoa OK?

ExCarniv

Good Chocolate bars are expensive. I can afford to buy a bar of Lindt dark 70-80% per week for $3. Is Cocoa powder a viable alternative. If yes, is Dutched Cocoa OK?

I think Peat said Alkalinized Cocoa powder is ok because have less fat.

I use that for hot cocoa or milk chocolate, plus I put some when I made pancakes.

I think Peat said Alkalinized Cocoa powder is ok because have less fat.

I use that for hot cocoa or milk chocolate, plus I put some when I made pancakes.

+1 good copper ,manganese,but plant based allergens?

Pdohlen

Orange juice is excellent as a side dish to my dark chocolate... I would guess the OJ would sort of negate the phytic acid and help mineral uptake?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals