Thoughts On Coconut Sugar?

pboy

Coconut sugar

Is it similar to maple syrup, in that the boiling process leaves behind some toxins? Or is it acceptable according to Peat. I have a bag around still...probably won't buy anymore, but was just wondering if it is fine to eat or should I just not worry about it. If it is just sucrose I suppose it is great like sugar, but if it has any fructans, inulin, ect id definitely avoid it. Anyone have any insight?

HollyLooyah

Re: Coconut sugar

I wrote Dr. Peat about coconut sugar:

Ray Peat said:
If it's browned from heating, it's more likely to be allergenic, and even without too much heat, some people are likely to be allergic to it. But if it doesn't cause any reactions, then it's very good, with some nutritional value.
Honey is in some ways better than white sugar, but depending on the plants it's derived from, it can be allergenic. White sugar has the advantage of being very clean. Fruits have many valuable nutrients, so are the best way to get sugars, when good ones are available.

Mittir

That is a great response from RP clarifying status of different kind of sugars. I was wondering about eating coconut meat . Coconut has very high insoluble fiber content with antibiotic coconut oil, that could be helpful in the way bamboo shoot is. Does anyone know what is his view on coconut meat?

Mittir

I just got a reply from Ray Peat about coconut meat

"It often causes gas and irritation symptoms."

schultz

Someone asked Ray about it in a podcast and he said if it was made from the sap that it was probably fine but if it was made from some coconut starch by-product and an acid-enzyme type of thing like HFCS then it might be problematic. The product you listed says it made from the sap. Maybe just contact them and ask how they refine it?

The potassium content is pretty high for a sugar: 815mg per 100g, which seems to be around 8TBSP and which also seems to be about the amount of sugar I use in a day.

I suppose the only thing I'd worry about is the price, since white sugar is so cheap and quite pure in comparison. I'm guessing this stuff is 10-20 times more expensive.

johnwester130

It's a great product.

Dissolves much easier than regular sugar, fills me up and restores my energy.I really like it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals