Thoughts On 7-Keto DHEA

Fexxx

Dear Members,

I couldn´t find much User-Infos about this Supp.
In Theory it sounds like a perfect Supp -> Increasing Metabolism without modulating sex-hormones...

What do you think - any experinces?

Fon

Dear Members,

I couldn´t find much User-Infos about this Supp.
In Theory it sounds like a perfect Supp -> Increasing Metabolism without modulating sex-hormones...

What do you think - any experinces?
I used to take a pre-workout (adipex) that had that among other ingredients. LOVED IT!!! ENERGY,MOOD,FAT LOSS!! Of course they discontinued it. Never taken 7 keto by itself ...let me know..

MCF

My partner says that it gives him cognitive enhancement. He is 65. He uses 4 drops of Keto-DHT (topical every other day), 4 drops Pansterone (topical daily) and 1 drop Progest-E(orally daily). He also takes 50mg Pregnenolone (capsule formula) three times per week. He adores the combination. It took some time for us to get the stack right....this one works FOR HIM.

Wagner83

My partner says that it gives him cognitive enhancement. He is 65. He uses 4 drops of Keto-DHT (topical every other day), 4 drops Pansterone (topical daily) and 1 drop Progest-E(orally daily). He also takes 50mg Pregnenolone (capsule formula) three times per week. He adores the combination. It took some time for us to get the stack right....this one works FOR HIM.
11-keto-dht will soon be pulled from the store.

OP
F

Fexxx

i just want to give you a brief update with my purchased 25mg caps: The Energy is very notable and pleasant - so far without any moodiness.
Also I can feel a nice (dopamine?) tingeling in my brain.

Thumbs Up!

Swanson Europe always has this in stock... even when the normal DHEA is out of stock :(

OP
F

Fexxx

@Such_Saturation
Thanks for this Info - good to know!
i bought mine by biovea europe.
one dose with 25mg seems to be enough for me. the first days i tried 2x25mg but it was "to much".

spudchick

I know this is late (I'm new here) but when I started reading about DHEA supplementation I experimented with both DHEA and 7-Keto and found I felt better on 7-Keto. Recently saw that an NIH study found that it reduced desire for alcohol and that's consistent with my experience when I started taking it in 2006. I also lost weight without intentionally making any changes in diet or activity. Digestion seemed better and I got a congnitive boost. Less is more, so the 25mg dose works for me. It had no effect on my cycle (now menopausal) or body hair or any other obvious hormonal effects.

Now that I'm trying pregnenolone (to replace imparied adrenal function), I'm not sure if I need it. Trying now to understand how to optimize the conversions of pregnenolone in the body after taking it, and I think if conversions are happening as they're supposed to it may not be necessary anymore. Still only just learning about pregnenolone and brand new to Ray Peat.

ddjd

I know this is late (I'm new here) but when I started reading about DHEA supplementation I experimented with both DHEA and 7-Keto and found I felt better on 7-Keto. Recently saw that an NIH study found that it reduced desire for alcohol and that's consistent with my experience when I started taking it in 2006. I also lost weight without intentionally making any changes in diet or activity. Digestion seemed better and I got a congnitive boost. Less is more, so the 25mg dose works for me. It had no effect on my cycle (now menopausal) or body hair or any other obvious hormonal effects.

Now that I'm trying pregnenolone (to replace imparied adrenal function), I'm not sure if I need it. Trying now to understand how to optimize the conversions of pregnenolone in the body after taking it, and I think if conversions are happening as they're supposed to it may not be necessary anymore. Still only just learning about pregnenolone and brand new to Ray Peat.
Wow. What brand is the best one

Mossy

Hi spudchick, from what I've read on this forum, pregnenolone still has a lot to be learned about, in order to really know how to optimize it consistently. Haidut, who produces and sells custom supplements, provides some good information on it on this thread: Optimal Dose Of Pregnenolone For Androgen Synthesis. Granted, you most likely don't want androgen synthesis, but it could still help to give understanding:
I think the smoking gun really is the lack of inhibition of progesterone from any dose pregnenolone. This is consistent with the human studies showing oral high dose pregnenolone raised progesterone and allopregnanolone more than anything else. The anti-androgen effects of high levels of progesterone in males are well known. So, to me the more important message is that pregnenolone in higher doses probably has anti-androgenic effects (libido aside).
Bottom line - high dose pregnenolone is definitely pro-progesterone and potentially androgen synthesis inhibiting as well. That may not have a direct effect on serum androgens but the overall tone of the organism will probably shift towards progesterone and as such will be anti-androgenic."
...which means for optimal androgen synthesis, less than 10mg pregnenolone per dose may be optimal to avoid inhibition of androstenedione and DHEA

Haidut sells his own pregnenolone product and that thread:StressNon - Liquid Pregnenolone, has some info also--here is a excerpt:
In lower doses part of pregnenolone stays as pregnenolone and other parts get converted to downstream steroids like progesterone, DHEA and a number of pheromones which are only beginning to understand. Lower doses of pregnenolone are sedative in humans. There is an old study showing 1mg - 5mg pregnenolone dose improved sleep in stressed out people and most people on the forum using doses of 10mg or less reported sedative/calming effects.

With regard to 7-Keto, are you still taking it, and if so, can you conclude that it has not boosted/helped your adrenals--your reason for looking into pregnenolone?

spudchick

Wow. What brand is the best one
I use NOW brand, partly because I have used it for other products and partly because they were the first one I could find at 25mg.

When I say 'less is more', I mean that for myself since I find lower than recommended doses of anything (except maybe Mg) are often best. I take 25mg 7-keto twice a day unless I'm doing really well and then I can go down to AM only. Others, especially men, may do better on more.

I don't want to overstate the benefits, but they were welcome and I notice when I run out or stop taking it. I lost about 6 lbs. in the first month or so, and then weight loss plateaued (which was fine, I wasn't actively trying to lose weight right then). It's like the weight that was there due to lack of whatever 7K was helping to provide was dropped. YMMV.

spudchick

Hi spudchick, from what I've read on this forum, pregnenolone still has a lot to be learned about, in order to really know how to optimize it consistently. Haidut, who produces and sells custom supplements, provides some good information on it on this thread: Optimal Dose Of Pregnenolone For Androgen Synthesis. Granted, you most likely don't want androgen synthesis, but it could still help to give understanding:

Haidut sells his own pregnenolone product and that thread:StressNon - Liquid Pregnenolone, has some info also--here is a excerpt:

With regard to 7-Keto, are you still taking it, and if so, can you conclude that it has not boosted/helped your adrenals--your reason for looking into pregnenolone?

Thanks for the links! Yes, I'm currently still taking it, though I tried omitting it for a little while as part of trying to get a handle on the best combinations with pregnenolone. I've had a mix of great physical and mental relief from pregnenolone but unfortunately also increased response to anxiety trigger situations (workplace)--it's like I haven't had adrenaline in my system in years, but I'm not handling. I found 7-keto after an undiagnosed crash that I believed to involve adrenal exhaustion. It helped then, but right now a difficult mix of weak adrenals, menopause and PTSD (childhood into adulthood, multiple trauma events) has got me where I'm really having problems with fatigue, seriously increased inflammantion/arthritis, horrible hot flashes, brain fog etc. and I wasn't having success with my usual regimen. In short, 7K helps but it has not been enough to handle this serious downward slide.

I've had good effect from some mild testosterone boosting herbs like Tribulus Terrestris so I'm not afraid of androgens (I think I was naturally very low in T most of my life) but I don't overdo it; I'm just searching for the right balance of things. For me.

The reason I thought pregnenolone might be helpful is this; the adrenals pick up the slack for the gonads in producing necessary whole body hormones after menopause, helping ease the transition. I felt perhaps I was deteriorating quickly due to the 'backup glands' not being capable of handling the job, and I read that pregnenolone is a raw material produced by the andrenals that can then be converted into other necessary hormones. It seemed like a good place to start.

Last edited:

cyclops

When I say 'less is more', I mean that for myself since I find lower than recommended doses of anything (except maybe Mg) are often best. I take 25mg 7-keto twice a day unless I'm doing really well and then I can go down to AM only. Others, especially men, may do better on more.

Isn't 25mg, let alone 50mg, a huge dose even for a man? I thought the most recommended was like 5mg at a time?