Thoughts And Advice On My Cat Condition Progressing From Hyperesthesia Towards Parkinson's

yerrag

My male cat. I gave him away at 6 months, and got him back when he was 2 years old. At 3 years, I had him neutered to keep him from fighting with male strays. He is a mix of Siamese female and a male stray of nice descent. When I got him back, his rear and tail hair wasn't thick, and his hind portion was rather scrawny. He has improved to a nice coat and thick tail. Because his mom also had hyperesthesia, I wasn't too concerned initially as I ascribed his condition to genetics.

I'm not wont to give him canned foods or pellets, always considering processed pet food to be whatever's leftover from any food manufacturing process, with USP vitamins added where absorbability is the last consideration. The better ones cost more than what I eat. I find what is most practical cost-wise, and in a tropical archipelago, fish is the most cost-effective for me. I would make sure the fish does not contain thiaminase, so that I could feed the fish to my cats raw. If I had to cook the fish, which I seldom do, it would then lack an essential amino acid called taurine. Cooking is more work also, and I had to add a taurine supplement, so I don't serve cooked fish to my cats. So it would be a mix of raw fish, and grated coconut meat. Lately, I've added brown rice, as I found that cats would need a caloric distribution of 56-32-12 for protein, fats, and carbs.

I've been wondering why my cat started having difficulty walking, with one of his hind legs being unable to support him. He would struggle to walk, and when he does so, he stumbles frequently as if he is drunk. I take no joy seeing him suffer, especially when his eyes meet my gaze. He isn't pleading for help, as he usually looks at me that way as a sign of affection and trust, but I can't help thinking he is also pleading.

He still has a hearty appetite, but I don't want him to deteriorate. Perhaps he ate something that caused affected his hind legs, such as a fish that has ciguatera bacteria, and it will take time to resolve. If this is the the case, I need not worry, and time will take care of it.

But from a Peat mindset, I've been thinking through what he eats and what possibly could lead him to regress from hyperesthesia towards Parkinson's. I have two other cats, and they're fine. But they're younger cats. He's 4 years old, another is 2 years old, and the last one is about 8 months, still a kitty but large for his age. His condition may be a warning for me to re-evaluate what I feed them.

Approaches I'm considering:

1. The food might be lacking in calcium and too much phosphate : Add powdered egg shells
2. Food might be too high in heme-iron : Calcium in egg shells would help
3. Add raw carrots to lessen endotoxins

Another angle I'm considering is his being neutered way past his maturity into adulthood. I wonder if there is any effect on the cat of a late castration. Would a late castration cause hormonal imbalance such that he would have high estrogen and low progesterone to counter it enough? Would some progesterone help?

I suppose some blood tests would be in order, but they're just expensive and I don't know if I would go to such lengths.

One thing having pets do for us is that we learn from them and their sickness, and in their living as well as their dying. I have a pond of koi as well. With koi, it's not enough to keep them alive. You have to make them develop to their potential. Their potential is not just about size. It is about being very colorful, with colors being highly saturated and even, with bright reds and immaculate white, and deep blacks. And this happens only when you give them the most healthful conditions. They not only look nice, but they act nice as well. They like to surface and get a pat, and feed from your hands. They have a great appetite, and it's that energy that you see in them that tells you they're healthy and happy.

With my cats, ever since I started caring for them, the household (humans, I mean) has become more healthy. We have less incidences of colds and coughs from allergies. It seems the cats brought nature with them to us, and we are better suited to dealing with what nature brings- bacteria and all.

AmishMechanic

My gut is telling me that your cat is experiencing a nutritional deficiency. Could be many things but without seeing your cat thats all I got. I would suggest splurging on one of those higher priced cat foods and mix it in with the diet you are providing. If you are feeding them whole fish that would be ideal. Offer, and I say offer, some well cooked greens (spinach, asparagus seems to work well). Cats do eat greens, but partially digested greens so cooking them is helpful. Adding some organ meats is a good idea as well. Good luck.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

My gut is telling me that your cat is experiencing a nutritional deficiency. Could be many things but without seeing your cat thats all I got. I would suggest splurging on one of those higher priced cat foods and mix it in with the diet you are providing. If you are feeding them whole fish that would be ideal. Offer, and I say offer, some well cooked greens (spinach, asparagus seems to work well). Cats do eat greens, but partially digested greens so cooking them is helpful. Adding some organ meats is a good idea as well. Good luck.
Thanks for your suggestions. Buying some premium cat foods is something I'm considering. I'm actually feeding them whole fish- mackerel scads and croakers. I feed them veggies from the table, but maybe that isn't often enough. Perhaps I could make that a regular part of their food.

I'll first add some salt to their food. Since the 3 cats eat about 500g fish per day, I calculate the dry weight to be about 125grams. From a little research, about 0.5% dry weight of salt as a daily requirement comes out to 0.625 grams of salt. I would think the fish from the sea would have plenty of salt already, but apparently it isn't enough after checking. I'll let you know how that works out.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I think that calcium:phosphate ratio should be fine as well. My cat eats the whole fish, that means bones as well. So calcium should be sufficient and in balance with phosphate intake.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I don't know if it was the salt, but my cat today started to walk less like a drunk. He seems to have his hind leg's strength coming back to him with significant effect. He's never lost his appetite nor his will.

If he gets his mobility fully restored, with the ability to scale the fence, I'll contnue to monitor him to see if the salt is also able to address his hyperesthesia condition. If the hyperesthesia is gone, he will become more socially connected with cats and people, as he isn't going to be easily disturbed by touch.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I don't think I'll get the chance to feed my cat a commercial food, from the raw fish diet he's getting. He's stopped eating for a day already. He doesn't have the symptoms of a sick cat with the saliva drool. But his mobility is getting more impaired. He started dragging a limp left hind leg, which made him appear drunk when walking on three legs. He still had a good appetite, but that didn't last long, and last night he stopped eating. His paws are tense and extended, as he has lost the ability to flex them. The only limb left that he can control is the right hand leg, which he would use to scratch.

Since he has alway had hyperesthesia, which is a very sensitive skin that would occasionally lead to a seizure, I would see this conditon as a worsening of that condition. I think it is neurologic in origin. Before this cat was neutered (a male), he was already hyperesthetic. I think the castration did not help matters. Perhaps the castration cause a loss of protective progesterone.

I don't know if anyone's ever used progesterone on a sick cat. Anyone?

Regina

Does the cat have access to the outdoors? Maybe he can catch some lizards and small prey.
If on the tiny chance you are in the Chicago-area, there is an animal chiropractor that is an amazing diagnostition.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Hi Regina,

He's got plenty of outdoor activity with a large garden and fishpond. But I'm not anywhere near Chicago unfortunately. I've not seen him catch lizards and small prey, but he gets plenty of sunshine here in Manila. My other cats were more hunter than him. He isn't as nimble, but he makes up for it in being very social in cuddling up to me.

Regina

Hi Regina,

He's got plenty of outdoor activity with a large garden and fishpond. But I'm not anywhere near Chicago unfortunately. I've not seen him catch lizards and small prey, but he gets plenty of sunshine here in Manila. My other cats were more hunter than him. He isn't as nimble, but he makes up for it in being very social in cuddling up to me.
Aw. I hope he gets better soon. It sounds like a better life for a cat than in Chicago.:chaplin

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Aw. I hope he gets better soon. It sounds like a better life for a cat than in Chicago.:chaplin
Perhaps for a cat, but I wished we have something like a Ravinia Festival!

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Regina, Ravinia is one big picnic. I had a lot of fun that summer I went to visit a friend. It's definitely worth taking a trip to Chicago for!

Just a little update on my cat. I took him to a vet, and she understood I didn't want to confine my cat, and gave him a 10-day prescription of Cefalexin antibiotic. Turns out the cat has been hiding an abscess on the middle ridge of his back, near the backbone. I only chanced upon it when I felt a moist scab when I began applying DE (diatomaceous earth) on his fur to help manage ticks, which I didn't realize was running rampant all over his body.

Poor cat, he must already have this condition when I rescued him from being trapped in a section between our fence and the neighbor's, having to wrap a bowline knot around him and lifting him up to safety. He was limp and had no strength. For a month, I let him be, struggling with walking with 3 legs. I thought he must have been injured somehow and would recover the use of his injured limb. He still had a good appetite. It wasn't until he lost all ability to walk that I got more concerned. He lost his appetite for a day or two, then got it back, even with his limbs in a weak state.

He was on antibiotics for a week, and that is when I stopped the antibiotics even though the vet told me to administer it for 10 days. During the whole time, pus kept draining from a hole in his back, and though it didn't smell and though I understood it to be a healing process, I was still concerned. He still ate raw goat liver well, and drank water, but he wasn't defecating, more likely the result of antibiotic use, which could mess up the flora in his digestive system.

On day 7, suddenly a lower hind leg started to have signs of edema. By then I had stopped antibiotics, and on day 8, I began to give him water that had probiotics - to restore his stomach flora. That day, his swollen hind leg started to ooze pus from one of the bottom fingers (for lack of a better word). That was a good sign, as the antibiotic did help with fighting infection and that pus was the result of that. That it was manifested in the extremities was a good sign, since the 'battleground' was being waged far from the center of the body, where vital organs reside.

On day 9, I shifted to the use of a homeopathic remedy, silicea 30C, which consisted of 3 feedings of 2 small pearls spaced 4 hours apart. At the end of the day, I started to notice some change in behavior. The cat was now able to lie on his chin, instead of lying fully on one side of his back. He managed also to wag his tail when I called his name. Still, pus was still oozing from the hole. I had to make sure, all this time, from the start, to apply hydrogen peroxide to the wound hole, to keep the wound from sealing. This was to ensure the pus doesn't become trapped. That was the initial situation, which likely affected the nerves on the backbone which led to the cat losing motor control and strength on his limbs.

Tomorrow, day 10, it would be interesting to see how dramatic the turn in the cat's recovery goes. Since I had employed both antibiotics and homepathy, one after another, I can't tell at all where to credit his recovery. By the way, I didn't plan it this way. I used antibiotics as I realized the cat's condition had built up for a long time, and the concealed wound and trapped pus had been there for a long time, and I couldn't afford any delay. But as the antibiotic treatment progressed, I was able to find out more about a homeopathic solution. I wouldn't have to cut short the antibiotic treatment at day 7, except that I sensed the antibiotics were taking a toll on the cat in other ways. I felt I shouldn't need to complete the 10-day antibiotic protocol, as 7 days didn't seem too short anyway. I wanted to give the cat some homeopathic help, so that it would summon's the cats innate ability to heal himself. I felt this would give him a better chance of surviving his current illness.

One thing I learned (or at least I think I learned) is that the hyperesthesia of my cat was a symptom of an infection that had been smoldering subcutaneously. The infection had been chronic, and was kept at bay for a long time by the cat's defenses. But it was a source of irritation that came to be seen as hyperesthesia. And since reading the literature gave me the idea that this was a genetic condition (ah yes - the bogeyman), there was nothing I could really do. Besides, there was no way I could see what was going on underneath the cat's skin. But the discovery of the wound (or hole) and the subsequent continual draining of pus from the abscess led me to do search for an answer beyond genetics.

There is a condition called subcutaneous emphysema associated with cryptococcosis, which shows these symptoms: "neurologic signs... changes in temperament and bizarre behavior, hyperesthesia, twitching or tremors, seizures... ataxia, paresis..." (p.624, Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 2013, by Craig E Greene). These were what I had observed with my cat.

I hope now that my cat and I would be able to resolve his issue and that he would be rid of his hyperesthetic condition, and become less serious and more playful as a cat.

Regina

Regina, Ravinia is one big picnic. I had a lot of fun that summer I went to visit a friend. It's definitely worth taking a trip to Chicago for!

Just a little update on my cat. I took him to a vet, and she understood I didn't want to confine my cat, and gave him a 10-day prescription of Cefalexin antibiotic. Turns out the cat has been hiding an abscess on the middle ridge of his back, near the backbone. I only chanced upon it when I felt a moist scab when I began applying DE (diatomaceous earth) on his fur to help manage ticks, which I didn't realize was running rampant all over his body.

Poor cat, he must already have this condition when I rescued him from being trapped in a section between our fence and the neighbor's, having to wrap a bowline knot around him and lifting him up to safety. He was limp and had no strength. For a month, I let him be, struggling with walking with 3 legs. I thought he must have been injured somehow and would recover the use of his injured limb. He still had a good appetite. It wasn't until he lost all ability to walk that I got more concerned. He lost his appetite for a day or two, then got it back, even with his limbs in a weak state.

He was on antibiotics for a week, and that is when I stopped the antibiotics even though the vet told me to administer it for 10 days. During the whole time, pus kept draining from a hole in his back, and though it didn't smell and though I understood it to be a healing process, I was still concerned. He still ate raw goat liver well, and drank water, but he wasn't defecating, more likely the result of antibiotic use, which could mess up the flora in his digestive system.

On day 7, suddenly a lower hind leg started to have signs of edema. By then I had stopped antibiotics, and on day 8, I began to give him water that had probiotics - to restore his stomach flora. That day, his swollen hind leg started to ooze pus from one of the bottom fingers (for lack of a better word). That was a good sign, as the antibiotic did help with fighting infection and that pus was the result of that. That it was manifested in the extremities was a good sign, since the 'battleground' was being waged far from the center of the body, where vital organs reside.

On day 9, I shifted to the use of a homeopathic remedy, silicea 30C, which consisted of 3 feedings of 2 small pearls spaced 4 hours apart. At the end of the day, I started to notice some change in behavior. The cat was now able to lie on his chin, instead of lying fully on one side of his back. He managed also to wag his tail when I called his name. Still, pus was still oozing from the hole. I had to make sure, all this time, from the start, to apply hydrogen peroxide to the wound hole, to keep the wound from sealing. This was to ensure the pus doesn't become trapped. That was the initial situation, which likely affected the nerves on the backbone which led to the cat losing motor control and strength on his limbs.

Tomorrow, day 10, it would be interesting to see how dramatic the turn in the cat's recovery goes. Since I had employed both antibiotics and homepathy, one after another, I can't tell at all where to credit his recovery. By the way, I didn't plan it this way. I used antibiotics as I realized the cat's condition had built up for a long time, and the concealed wound and trapped pus had been there for a long time, and I couldn't afford any delay. But as the antibiotic treatment progressed, I was able to find out more about a homeopathic solution. I wouldn't have to cut short the antibiotic treatment at day 7, except that I sensed the antibiotics were taking a toll on the cat in other ways. I felt I shouldn't need to complete the 10-day antibiotic protocol, as 7 days didn't seem too short anyway. I wanted to give the cat some homeopathic help, so that it would summon's the cats innate ability to heal himself. I felt this would give him a better chance of surviving his current illness.

One thing I learned (or at least I think I learned) is that the hyperesthesia of my cat was a symptom of an infection that had been smoldering subcutaneously. The infection had been chronic, and was kept at bay for a long time by the cat's defenses. But it was a source of irritation that came to be seen as hyperesthesia. And since reading the literature gave me the idea that this was a genetic condition (ah yes - the bogeyman), there was nothing I could really do. Besides, there was no way I could see what was going on underneath the cat's skin. But the discovery of the wound (or hole) and the subsequent continual draining of pus from the abscess led me to do search for an answer beyond genetics.

There is a condition called subcutaneous emphysema associated with cryptococcosis, which shows these symptoms: "neurologic signs... changes in temperament and bizarre behavior, hyperesthesia, twitching or tremors, seizures... ataxia, paresis..." (p.624, Infectious Diseases of the Dog and Cat, 2013, by Craig E Greene). These were what I had observed with my cat.

I hope now that my cat and I would be able to resolve his issue and that he would be rid of his hyperesthetic condition, and become less serious and more playful as a cat.
Phew! You guys have been through a lot.
It's beautiful all the care you are giving to your cat.
If you are able, you might try giving him a baking soda soak. Empty a box into a very warm bath and have him soak for 20 minutes.

I am suspect about the hyperesthesia. I think, if anything, animals try to hide their pain and illnesses (on a very primal level).
btw, this is a great product:
Vibactra Plus | Amber Technology Shopping Center
I've tried replicate it on my own because it is overly expensive.

I used to have an amazing online vet who died. Her name was Gloria Dodd, DMV.
Her articles are still here but she was a master of homeopathy:
Holistic veterinary medicine. Homeopathy for animals. Alternative health.

Wishing you both the best, Regina

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I am suspect about the hyperesthesia.
What are your thoughts on it?

btw, this is a great product:
Vibactra Plus | Amber Technology Shopping Center
I've tried replicate it on my own because it is overly expensive.
Thanks for sharing. I've used this before, but I wasn't successful, either because I didn't know how to use it or because the cat was in a late stage of crisis already. I was considering buying it again, but held off not really knowing if it was worth the high cost. Glad you mentioned it.

If you are able, you might try giving him a baking soda soak. Empty a box into a very warm bath and have him soak for 20 minutes.
That's another use for baking soda I didn't know of. What does the baking soda do in this instance?

I used to have an amazing online vet who died. Her name was Gloria Dodd, DMV.
Her articles are still here but she was a master of homeopathy:
Holistic veterinary medicine. Homeopathy for animals. Alternative health.
That's a very helpful site. I bookmarked it for the wealth of information. Thanks again.

Wishing you both the best, Regina
Thanks Regina.

Day 10- Cat finally pooped with dark matter. But he did not have an appetite today. His pus drainage continues, although it isn't as much, or so it seemed to me. But I continue to keep the pus discharge holes open by applying hydrogen peroxide, so that drainage can continue ( I call them discharge holes as they aren't really wounds, but holes that seem to emerge in the skin to allow pus drainage). More discharges came, this time from the nose, and cat has a few coughs. I consider this to be part of the healing crisis.

I'm careful not to force liquid into the cat's mouth. It seems that at this stage, if the cat won't take liquid, forcing it on the cat will cause the cat to aspirate, and the liquid going into the lungs will cause the cat to die. I may have done this to two cats this year.

One cat was paralyzed on his hind legs shortly after eating a cooked fish head. Not knowing the cause then, I forced liquid medicine on this cat. He choked and a few hours later, he died seemingly to have drowned in liquid in his lungs, as he coughed out liquid on his last seizure. I acted too quickly instead of proceeding rationally. Later, after making some searches on the net, I realized that the cat had ciguatera poisoning from eating a reef fish that harbor some toxins from an algae. Had I let him be, he would have slowly recovered from the paralyzed hind legs. Still, this cat was one cat I had made the mistake of having castrated at 4 months old. This made the cat weaker, and made him succumb to ciguatera poisoning. Another cat ate the same fish head, and that cat didn't get affected.

But this cat was to die a few months later. She was already past her fever stage, and seemed to be recovering. But I meddled again in her healing, and though I was more careful in feeding her liquids, I momentarily lost my bearing and in one instance forced liquid into her. She choked and that caused her to aspirate. A few hours later, instead of recovering, she threw up bodily fluids in her last thrall of death.

Little did I know how to manage the healing of the cat, and of how important it is to avoid causing the cat to aspirate in my desire to hydrate her. I've searched the internet for such warning, but it seemed that this is not something that's ever mentioned. Perhaps it's because other ways to hydrate are available, such as IV and enema. But still, I wished there was some warning given on the net. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's attempted to help a cat recover from a sickness, and failed in like manner.

It isn't easy when I don't particularly agree with how conventional veterinarians treat sick cats. I carry the loss heavily. The only comfort I have is that who's left to suffer is the one left behind- me. The cats are gone, and they have no means to remember what I did to them.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Day 11- Cat isn't on rebound yet. Not interested in eating. Pus drainage continues. I reckon there's a lot of toxin buildup that needs to be cleared. His eyes have plenty of buggers and is wet and I had to wipe them off. Ditto with nose drippings. Good thing he can still take small drops of liquid, so he doesn't get dehydrated and he also gets some vitamins (I'm using Emergen-C).

Since his fur is littered with dead lice and eggs, and since he can't yet take a bath in his current state, I improvised and got aloe vera and squeezed the gel out. I applied it on his two front legs and massaged it, as I untangle the debri caught in the fur. Then I used an towel to remove the gel and the accompanying debri. Plenty of red liquid got into the towel, which I think are the blood of dead lice. It's neat to use the aloe vera gel as it isn't toxic. It's also anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal.

He is sleeping soundly, with even breathing and that makes me feel at ease.

Regina

Day 11- Cat isn't on rebound yet. Not interested in eating. Pus drainage continues. I reckon there's a lot of toxin buildup that needs to be cleared. His eyes have plenty of buggers and is wet and I had to wipe them off. Ditto with nose drippings. Good thing he can still take small drops of liquid, so he doesn't get dehydrated and he also gets some vitamins (I'm using Emergen-C).

Since his fur is littered with dead lice and eggs, and since he can't yet take a bath in his current state, I improvised and got aloe vera and squeezed the gel out. I applied it on his two front legs and massaged it, as I untangle the debri caught in the fur. Then I used an towel to remove the gel and the accompanying debri. Plenty of red liquid got into the towel, which I think are the blood of dead lice. It's neat to use the aloe vera gel as it isn't toxic. It's also anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal.

He is sleeping soundly, with even breathing and that makes me feel at ease.
Well, thanks for the update yerrag. I have been thinking about you. I have been at this place emotionally many times. The most difficult was my beloved mountain cur/beagle x. I've loved all my animals, but this dog was something more.
You know, I am no vet, so I am hesitant to guess from all the way over here what's going on with your cat.
Phineas, the dog that Gloria Dodd (the holistic vet) saved, is still here. She was pretty 'out there' and far ahead of her time. The people that still run her practice confided to me that they really don't know how she knew about doses. I would get late-night messages to immediately stop a level of homeopathy. Sometimes even after just 1 dose. She would say stop the lymph drainer now and soak him in warm bath with baking soda. He always responded beautifully to the baking soda soaks.

It's so difficult to tell. With Phineas, my determination to keep him alive paid off. But with Woody, it did not. Woody had lived as a stray in the woods before I took him. He survived on his own and hid his pain in a primal survival way. In his case, I wish I had let him go sooner.

I am sure you are doing the very best for your cat.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Regina, you're lucky to have Gloria Dodd as your holistic vet. I wished there was a vet who could shadow and hand-hold me through healing my cats. You learn a lot from them as well, and can count on their know-how and their experience to keep from making fatal mistakes. Discovering something on one's own is nice as you get to learn more from it, but it becomes traumatic when the loss of a pet is the result of it. Not that I had a choice. Well, maybe I had but that would just mean throwing the pet to the vicissitudes of a vet practice that cures symptoms and glosses over actual solutions. I rather would have my pet lead a happy life, and die with a slow fading and quietly go into the night at old age. And that's how I would like for myself as well. I would not wish on anyone nor a pet a life with chronic health issues.

I wasn't sure about the baking soda bath. Did you use the bath on Phineas as part of his(not sure Phineas is a he or she) healing? Was it at an early stage or late stage of the healing?

Thank you for your concern. It helps me a lot. Today, day 12, Yoda responded to some chopped goat liver. I made sure they were teeny weeny bits, and I let him decide how much is enough. The pus drainage from the large pustule at the back has eased, and the drainage from his hind foot is just a trickle already. His eyes are covered with bugger, and he has sniffles. All good signs when put together. I reckon if I don't do anything drastic and not even attempt to nudge him, he is well on his way to recover and maybe, just maybe, his hyperesthesia may even be resolved. Keeping my fingers crossed.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Day 14- Yoda went to cat heaven. There was nothing more I could do. He was special. He came when called like a dog would. His eyes weren't afraid to meet mine. Most cats prefer to simply be around, but he slept on my back or on my chest. When I gave him away at 6 months, it was difficult for his expressive eyes gave away his feeling of having been abandoned. Yet it was the best as his siblings died to an outbreak of panleukopenia. Back with me two years later, he never forgot his true home and master. He had two more years with me. He reclaimed his territory from a larger feral cat, showing many scratches and wounds. I had to neuter him a year ago. His hyperesthesia reminded me of his Siamese mom. His dad was a thick-necked ginger cat, from which he got his thick neck and friendly disposition. A mackerel tabby of small stature and a great spirit. Goodbye friend!

Regina

Regina, you're lucky to have Gloria Dodd as your holistic vet. I wished there was a vet who could shadow and hand-hold me through healing my cats. You learn a lot from them as well, and can count on their know-how and their experience to keep from making fatal mistakes. Discovering something on one's own is nice as you get to learn more from it, but it becomes traumatic when the loss of a pet is the result of it. Not that I had a choice. Well, maybe I had but that would just mean throwing the pet to the vicissitudes of a vet practice that cures symptoms and glosses over actual solutions. I rather would have my pet lead a happy life, and die with a slow fading and quietly go into the night at old age. And that's how I would like for myself as well. I would not wish on anyone nor a pet a life with chronic health issues.

I wasn't sure about the baking soda bath. Did you use the bath on Phineas as part of his(not sure Phineas is a he or she) healing? Was it at an early stage or late stage of the healing?

Thank you for your concern. It helps me a lot. Today, day 12, Yoda responded to some chopped goat liver. I made sure they were teeny weeny bits, and I let him decide how much is enough. The pus drainage from the large pustule at the back has eased, and the drainage from his hind foot is just a trickle already. His eyes are covered with bugger, and he has sniffles. All good signs when put together. I reckon if I don't do anything drastic and not even attempt to nudge him, he is well on his way to recover and maybe, just maybe, his hyperesthesia may even be resolved. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Day 14- Yoda went to cat heaven. There was nothing more I could do. He was special. He came when called like a dog would. His eyes weren't afraid to meet mine. Most cats prefer to simply be around, but he slept on my back or on my chest. When I gave him away at 6 months, it was difficult for his expressive eyes gave away his feeling of having been abandoned. Yet it was the best as his siblings died to an outbreak of panleukopenia. Back with me two years later, he never forgot his true home and master. He had two more years with me. He reclaimed his territory from a larger feral cat, showing many scratches and wounds. I had to neuter him a year ago. His hyperesthesia reminded me of his Siamese mom. His dad was a thick-necked ginger cat, from which he got his thick neck and friendly disposition. A mackerel tabby of small stature and a great spirit. Goodbye friend!

Ah darn.
I'm so sorry to learn about Yoda.
Clearly, you did all you could. He knew that.
Yoda is out of pain now. RIP.

All the best, Regina

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Thank you.