Those with high liquid diets -- How much salt?

I

i_nomad

There’s some weird hostility here. Ray Peat makes recommendations… sometimes they’re flexible and sometimes dependent on the individual. Making a decision for yourself is the key, so long as you’re taking as much Peat into account as possible.

gaze

@mostlylurking @Mr.Bollox

I highly doubt enzymes come even close to being as dangerous as excess iron, but FWIW this is what Ray said about "tolerating" it:

Me: Do you think it is safe to regularly consume cheese made with enzymes/vegetarian rennet if it is well tolerated? Or, will regular consumption cause some damage long term?

Peat: I think it increases the risk of future inflammation.

gaze

but Peat admits iron is essential mate, he said those vegetable microbial enzymes are even more inflammatory than citric acid
yea, but excess iron/reduced iron causes major systemic injury. enzymes probably cause a mild allergenic irritation, i don't think it's comparable

Dr. B

yea, but excess iron/reduced iron causes major systemic injury. enzymes probably cause a mild allergenic irritation, i don't think it's comparable
what happens from excess iron/reduced iron? inflammation?

gaze

what happens from excess iron/reduced iron? inflammation?
it causes inflammation but it also makes the inflammatory response worse. causes oxidative stress, hardens cells, ages the brain. it also blocks thyroid hormone directly, which is why even mainstream doctors recommend taking iron supplements away from thyroid supplements

Dr. B

it causes inflammation but it also makes the inflammatory response worse. causes oxidative stress, hardens cells, ages the brain. it also blocks thyroid hormone directly, which is why even mainstream doctors recommend taking iron supplements away from thyroid supplements
doesnt calcium also block thyroid hormone medication though mate
i thought irons needed for t4 to t3 conversion

SOMO

but it says cooking with baking soda, would simply adding it have the same effect as cooking?
does baking soda and OJ explode and react the way baking soda and vinegar does
They don't react as vigorously, but yes it fizzes and can overflow.

gaze

doesnt calcium also block thyroid hormone medication though mate
i thought irons needed for t4 to t3 conversion
not sure bout the calcium. i agree you need iron. i'm talking about the iron additives in bread and when someone has extremely high ferritin and high iron blood saturation.

mostlylurking

@mostlylurking @Mr.Bollox

I highly doubt enzymes come even close to being as dangerous as excess iron, but FWIW this is what Ray said about "tolerating" it:
Thanks for the Peat quote. Although I'm prone to inflammation, I honestly have not noticed any problems with inflammation triggered by the feta. It's a soft cheese, sort of like cottage cheese. Maybe it just has minimal enzymes added? Who knows.... I'm just going by how I feel after eating it.
There’s some weird hostility here. Ray Peat makes recommendations… sometimes they’re flexible and sometimes dependent on the individual. Making a decision for yourself is the key, so long as you’re taking as much Peat into account as possible.
Yes, I agree completely.

Dr. B

Thanks for the Peat quote. Although I'm prone to inflammation, I honestly have not noticed any problems with inflammation triggered by the feta. It's a soft cheese, sort of like cottage cheese. Maybe it just has minimal enzymes added? Who knows.... I'm just going by how I feel after eating it.

Yes, I agree completely.
@gaze theres quotes on here, or Peat said it on youtube, he said something about the enzymes being more inflammatory and allergenic than the citric acid (which he already has an issue with due to sourcing)

@mostlylurking have you checked the ingredients mate there is no guarantee that simply being Feta means it has veggie enzymes. theres probably some fetas available using animal rennet. there must be some cheeses using vinegar, but i havent found any. i think daisys cottage cheese uses just vinegar, or uses salt. ive seen ricotta cheeses using just vinegar. id like to find a mozzerella cheese using just vinegar.

gaze

@gaze theres quotes on here, or Peat said it on youtube, he said something about the enzymes being more inflammatory and allergenic than the citric acid (which he already has an issue with due to sourcing)
yea I personally don't eat cheese with enzymes, but i also have a weak stomach in general

Sefton10

@mostlylurking have you checked the ingredients mate there is no guarantee that simply being Feta means it has veggie enzymes. theres probably some fetas available using animal rennet. there must be some cheeses using vinegar, but i havent found any. i think daisys cottage cheese uses just vinegar, or uses salt. ive seen ricotta cheeses using just vinegar. id like to find a mozzerella cheese using just vinegar.
Are you saying the brands you’ve found have enzymes listed in the ingredients? Most feta cheeses in the UK simply list goat/sheep milk. Brand I get pictured.

Attachments

• EFC76412-F053-4EE1-BC0C-8F4CABED6ED1.jpeg
    EFC76412-F053-4EE1-BC0C-8F4CABED6ED1.jpeg
    497.2 KB · Views: 28

gaze

Are you saying the brands you’ve found have enzymes listed in the ingredients? Most feta cheeses in the UK simply list goat/sheep milk. Brand I get pictured.
yea, we arnt so lucky here in the states. most have both enzymes and veggie rennet

Jam

"Suitable for vegetarians"

Mauritio

There was a method posted by @theLaw where you take a small amount of salt every 15 or 30 minutes.
I tried that at the end of last year and it made a huge difference. I felt like my dopamine, progesterone and energy levels were higher .
It's just a pain to think about it all the time .I think thats why I stopped .
I just carried an empty vitamin bottle filled with salt everywhere and took a small amount every hour or as often as I could.

High salt is also what helped me most with high altitude adaption

mostlylurking

i think daisys cottage cheese uses just vinegar, or uses salt. ive seen ricotta cheeses using just vinegar. id like to find a mozzerella cheese using just vinegar.
Yes, I buy Daisy brand cottage cheese, very good product. There are no ricotta cheeses available that I can tolerate because they put whey it it and I am very sensitive to serotonin. Mostly I'm living on 1% organic milk and organic home grown eggs from my own chickens.

Mauritio

My rat switched to Androsterone (scrotum application) and noticed lower libido.

After this experiment, he started adding 1/4 tsp salt every 1/2hr, and noticed a huge shift in his overall health, which felt very similar to thyroid.

Before the salt, he felt like he was always dealing with a leaky-bucket with food. Now, it feels much more stable, and he doesn't have those strong overt-cravings (stress) for food, which I think is related to blood sugar.

I ran an experiment where I took 1/4tsp of salt every 1/2hr while awake, and it drastically improved my ability to store/metabolize sugar properly.

It felt similar to thyroid actually.

I tried it several times over the last few years, but never really thought that salt alone could be that powerful, so I always ended up focusing on another supplement. When I stopped using it, I noticed a huge difference. It felt like my body was just a leaky-bucket that wouldn't retain much of anything. The dosing seems to be the key for me.

Now I use it religiously (without thyroid), and it seems to have permanently fixed some blood-sugar/sleep/temperature issues for me.

The effects are pretty quick with frequent dosing.

The frustrating part is having to go back and try other foods/sup again with the new health improvements from salt (a good problem to have).