Those with high liquid diets -- How much salt?

SOMO

Supposedly adding Baking Soda to food destroys the nutrients.

Turns out cooking food with baking soda (a.k.a. sodium bicarbonate) can indeed damage a number of nutrients, such as vitamin C, vitamin D, riboflavin, thiamin, and one essential amino acid. Yet it doesn’t hurt others, including vitamin A, vitamin B12, niacin, and folic acid.

“But what I find most interesting,” Crosby says, “is that the Massachusetts Water Resources Authority adds sodium carbonate to the water from the Quabbin Reservoir in order to decrease the leaching of copper and lead from old pipes.” The addition of sodium carbonate, a chemical cousin to baking soda, increases the pH level of Boston’s drinking water to approximately 9.3 (and raises the sodium content of an 8-ounce glass of the stuff to about 9 milligrams, a fraction of your daily allowance). However, that alkalinity usually gets neutralized during cooking by the small amounts of acid in many fruits and vegetables.

And that’s what saves at least some of the at-risk nutrients in this particular green-bean recipe: Any further damage that might have been done by the alkaline baking soda, Crosby says, will be halted after cooks stir in the acidic tomatoes

So the acidity reduces this so OJ may be safe since it is quite acidic. but is it enough to offset some nutrient loss? I think this might be a bigger concern in people who undereat and in general get less nutrients. I just wish the Baking Soda didn't reduce the Thiamin, Riboflavin and Vit C since those nutrients are harder to get and you need the Thiamin to metabolize the sucrose in the OJ. I saw another study a while back that the nutrient loss is "minimal".

If I do drink baking soda, I drink it at least a few minutes/hours away from OJ. If you're already doing the OJ+BS as a daily ritual, keep doing it, I don't want to dissuade anyone. I simply don't like the extra carbonation created when you combine the 2 (makes me feel bloated for a bit.)

Dr. B

Supposedly adding Baking Soda to food destroys the nutrients.

So the acidity reduces this so OJ may be safe since it is quite acidic. but is it enough to offset some nutrient loss? I think this might be a bigger concern in people who undereat and in general get less nutrients. I just wish the Baking Soda didn't reduce the Thiamin, Riboflavin and Vit C since those nutrients are harder to get and you need the Thiamin to metabolize the sucrose in the OJ. I saw another study a while back that the nutrient loss is "minimal".

If I do drink baking soda, I drink it at least a few minutes/hours away from OJ. If you're already doing the OJ+BS as a daily ritual, keep doing it, I don't want to dissuade anyone. I simply don't like the extra carbonation created when you combine the 2 (makes me feel bloated for a bit.)
but it says cooking with baking soda, would simply adding it have the same effect as cooking?
does baking soda and OJ explode and react the way baking soda and vinegar does

I

i_nomad

I’ve been using sodium chloride tablets lately to help get me there. I just couldn’t salt enough, but the tablets help get me to 5g+ and to feeling a lot more balanced.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. B

I’ve been using sodium chloride tablets lately to help get me there. I just couldn’t salt enough, but the tablets help get me to 5mg+ and to feeling a lot more balanced.
how much is in the tablets? do you mean 5grams+ salt?
are there fillers in the tablets
id be interested in those, but would want pink salt capsules or tablets

Jam

I find adding salt to cow's milk results in a quite unpalatable beverage. On the other hand, a good pinch of sea salt in a glass of full-fat raw goat milk is actually not too shabby...

I

i_nomad

how much is in the tablets? do you mean 5grams+ salt?
are there fillers in the tablets
id be interested in those, but would want pink salt capsules or tablets
edit: links won’t work. Search sodium chloride tablets on Amazon. Have used CitraGen 500g and Graxcell 1000mg

Yes, I meant 5g… I’ll correct that.
And I’ve been using these…
500mg
1000mg
No mention of fillers, but who knows. You can also buy pills that are made from Real Salts and have a variety of other trace minerals.

mostlylurking

Feta cheese? Basically solid goat/sheep's milk with salt! Might be a nice alternative to salting milk if you don't find that appetising.
I think sheep feta is fabulous. It's great in Greek or Mexican frittatas, it's wonderful in a cucumber salad with honey garlic mint salad dressing. I love it! It's probably really really high in fat but at this point I don't care.

Dr. B

I think sheep feta is fabulous. It's great in Greek or Mexican frittatas, it's wonderful in a cucumber salad with honey garlic mint salad dressing. I love it! It's probably really really high in fat but at this point I don't care.
the fetas ive found have enzymes mate

mostlylurking

safety, doesnt have the toxins of sea salt, processing of modern salts, nothing added or removed
its probably an extremely small amount of iron,
Ray Peat has specifically warned against sea salt that is colored (pink) because of the iron content.

mostlylurking

enzymes are extremely inflammatory/allergenic, more so than even citric acid
Oh. So now we can't eat cheese? Here's what I think: if the enzymes don't cause me any issues with digestion or inflammation then I'm not going to stop eating the feta cheese. I've lived with crippling inflammation and leaky gut for many years. If the feta doesn't cause issues for me then that is good enough for me.

You are free to continue to avoid all enzymes and rely on pink salt if that's what you want to do. Suit yourself and I will suit myself.

Dr. B

Ray Peat has specifically warned against sea salt that is colored (pink) because of the iron content.
there is no pink sea salt i dont think. only pink himalayan salt. sea salt, and other salts have a ton of toxins. the iron oxide small amount may be avoided, at the cost of all the other toxins. white salt is even bleached with sulfur dioxide or chlorine apparently.

Oh. So now we can't eat cheese? Here's what I think: if the enzymes don't cause me any issues with digestion or inflammation then I'm not going to stop eating the feta cheese. I've lived with crippling inflammation and leaky gut for many years. If the feta doesn't cause issues for me then that is good enough for me.

You are free to continue to avoid all enzymes and rely on pink salt if that's what you want to do. Suit yourself and I will suit myself.

the enzymes are probably worse than iron or citric acid, cheese is only acceptable if it has vinegar or animal rennet. vegetable enzymes/rennet/microbial enzymes/rennet are dangerous

mostlylurking

there is no pink sea salt i dont think. only pink himalayan salt. sea salt, and other salts have a ton of toxins. the iron oxide small amount may be avoided, at the cost of all the other toxins. white salt is even bleached with sulfur dioxide or chlorine apparently.

the enzymes are probably worse than iron or citric acid, cheese is only acceptable if it has vinegar or animal rennet. vegetable enzymes/rennet/microbial enzymes/rennet are dangerous
suit yourself.

Birdie

thats interesting,

i add salt to coconut water and sometimes OJ.

how does baking soda in Oj taste?
is there a reason youre using maple syrup? i think Peat doesn't like it
He says some people don't tolerate it. And sometimes you can tolerate one type and not another, so be on the alert to that. Fortunately it works for me. I like it.
Baking soda in oj tastes pretty good !!

baccheion

1.5 grams sodium per 8 cups.

At least half as much sodium as potassium. May go up to 7:6 potassium:sodium.

Could neutralize orange juice with baking soda (to a pH over 5.5) for some of the sodium.

Dr. B

He says some people don't tolerate it. And sometimes you can tolerate one type and not another, so be on the alert to that. Fortunately it works for me. I like it.
Baking soda in oj tastes pretty good !!
i was thinking it would provide a creamy sort of flavor to it

1.5 grams sodium per 8 cups.

At least half as much sodium as potassium. May go up to 7:6 potassium:sodium.

Could neutralize orange juice with baking soda (to a pH over 5.5) for some of the sodium.

mate where did you learn or how did you calculate those ratios