Those with high liquid diets -- How much salt?

Vileplume

Now that my thyroid has improved from supplementing thyroid, I can tolerate more liquids than I used to -- over a gallon total of orange juice and milk. I just can't seem to get my salt intake right. If I have too much salt I get super thirsty, but not enough salt and I pee all day. I can't use appetite as a guide because I don't enjoy salting my milk or OJ, so I have no craving for salt. I don't eat many foods that imply added salt, like starches or meat.

Those of you with high liquid diets, how much salt do you take to feel optimal? Do you take it straight, or add it into your liquids?

Thanks.

PeskyPeater

2 tablespoons.

baking soda in OJ, grape juice and aspirin in a glass of water. and salt in white rice with salted butter.
oh and in my workout shakes with milk protein with tea or coffee and butter.

oh and white fish with soy sauce

just kidding, about 1 tablespoon of salt or 15grams per day

Last edited:

Birdie

I don't measure but am trying to get as much as I can. Salt and maple syrup on ice cream. Pinches of salt when I walk by the salt dish. I hate it with milk, so take a big pinch first, and then drink the milky coffee. Baking soda in my oj. You get the idea. I should measure it out because it's trouble when I go low.

Glad you started this discussion @Vileplume. Much needed.

peter88

Really? that seems hard to get down and disgusting.. heroic
Haha I don’t mind it too much in orange juice and most of my milk is paired with plenty of maple syrup/honey and coffee so you can’t really taste the salt

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

2 tablespoons.

baking soda in OJ, grape juice and aspirin in a glass of water. and salt in white rice with salted butter.
oh and in my workout shakes with milk protein with tea or coffee and butter.

oh and white fish with soy sauce

just kidding, about 1 tablespoon of salt or 15grams per day
Nice, thanks for sharing that. I noticed that when I ate more solid foods in the past (starches and meat) I didn't need as much salt as I suspect I do now.In fact, I would salt my food and that's it -- no salt added to liquid or on its own, like I do now. Nobody I know adds very much salt to what they eat, maybe 2 teaspoons per day, and they seem fine. But with drinking up to 1.5 gallons of liquid some days, I feel like I need to make a conscious effort to get more salt.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I use 2-3 tbsps a day with a gallon of milk and a quart of OJ
Nice! I am going for a similar number. Do you ever get really thirsty from all that salt? Do you notice symptoms arising when you get significantly less salt than that?

Dr. B

Now that my thyroid has improved from supplementing thyroid, I can tolerate more liquids than I used to -- over a gallon total of orange juice and milk. I just can't seem to get my salt intake right. If I have too much salt I get super thirsty, but not enough salt and I pee all day. I can't use appetite as a guide because I don't enjoy salting my milk or OJ, so I have no craving for salt. I don't eat many foods that imply added salt, like starches or meat.

Those of you with high liquid diets, how much salt do you take to feel optimal? Do you take it straight, or add it into your liquids?

Thanks.
which thyroid do you supplement? were you the one using forefront healths products?

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I don't measure but am trying to get as much as I can. Salt and maple syrup on ice cream. Pinches of salt when I walk by the salt dish. I hate it with milk, so take a big pinch first, and then drink the milky coffee. Baking soda in my oj. You get the idea. I should measure it out because it's trouble when I go low.

Ooooh, salt and maple syrup on ice cream sounds incredible. I think baking soda and OJ is much more tolerable than salty OJ, like I've been doing. Honestly I don't enjoy consuming all this salt, but I feel like I should because without it, I pee a lot and seem to get colder hands. What symptoms do you notice when you get low?

Dr. B

thats interesting,

i add salt to coconut water and sometimes OJ.

how does baking soda in Oj taste?
is there a reason youre using maple syrup? i think Peat doesn't like it

Sefton10

Feta cheese? Basically solid goat/sheep's milk with salt! Might be a nice alternative to salting milk if you don't find that appetising.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

Feta cheese? Basically solid goat/sheep's milk with salt! Might be a nice alternative to salting milk if you don't find that appetising.
That’s the best-tasting way to get salt. A few hefty cubes of pecorino Romano would land at around 500-600 calories and nearly 3 grams of salt. Do you think cheese would provide enough salt to account for gallons of liquid?

Jennifer

I get salt from cheese—goat Gouda and Manchego—so I don’t know how much exactly, but I usually have around 4 oz of cheese a day and going by their labels, that’s 640 mg to 800 mg of sodium. I’m drinking 4 liters of milk and a couple glasses of juice daily. I’ve tried salting the milk and juice, but found it unpleasant.

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

OP
Vileplume

Vileplume

I get salt from cheese—goat Gouda and Manchego—so I don’t know how much exactly, but I usually have around 4 oz of cheese a day and going by their labels, that’s 640 mg to 800 mg of sodium. I’m drinking 4 liters of milk and a couple glasses of juice daily. I’ve tried salting the milk and juice, but found it unpleasant.
Thanks Jennifer. Our diets actually sound pretty similar! I will try out getting my salt from cheese, because that sounds way tastier than what I’ve been doing. I was just nervous that I’d need more salt than that.

Jennifer

Thanks Jennifer. Our diets actually sound pretty similar! I will try out getting my salt from cheese, because that sounds way tastier than what I’ve been doing. I was just nervous that I’d need more salt than that.

You’re welcome! I hope the cheese works out better for you. It’s definitely a tasty way to get salt and even though I love milk, it’s nice having something to chew. lol

Dr. B

wow interesting, no prescription needed and they deliver to the US?
arent there legal issues with selling T3 without prescription, that site could possibly be shut down any time? even buying from theres risky? or is it sold as research chemicals