Those who don't tolerate starches

Rolan

I was just wondering out of those who really don't tolerate starches, which of you come from a LC/VLC background(1yr+)? And if you do, would you say that your intolerance is, or at least could be, derived from from this context?

Swandattur

I did do low carb to very low carb for at least a year, but it was in response to my problem with starches. So, the starch problem came first. Of course, it may be the problem was caused by polyunsaturated fats and other toxic foods and additives.

paper_clips43

Not sure if this helps, but I noticed I can only tolerate starches if I am not consuming dairy. Also vice versa. So I currently choose dairy instead.

I tried low carb for only a few months and quickly lost my health so I stopped.

sprinter

I did low carb paleo for two year. Now starches make me very tired, hungry and depressed.

dukez07

Also depends on the type of starch. You can have potato, or something like banana (which comes with additional issues). Banana definitely gives me an allergic reaction. Potato is ok for me, but too much isn't great (just don't feel good when I eat alot of it).

Swandattur

So, sprinter, you don't think starch caused these problems before low carb? Actually, I guess, if the low carb lowered metabolism, then it makes sense that a person might become intolerant to starch from that.

On the dairy/starch connection, I have read that dairy can feed Klebsiella bacteria as a secondary fuel to starch, and too much of that bacteria is not good. I read this on the Kickas site for AS sufferers.

Dutchie

Swandattur said:
So, sprinter, you don't think starch caused these problems before low carb? Actually, I guess, if the low carb lowered metabolism, then it makes sense that a person might become intolerant to starch from that.

On the dairy/starch connection, I have read that dairy can feed Klebsiella bacteria as a secondary fuel to starch, and too much of that bacteria is not good. I read this on the Kickas site for AS sufferers.

LOL....so you roam those boards too?! im still learning so much about food&starch from them,just too bad that most of them use much nuts&seeds and deriven products from them.

Swandattur

Yes, when I realized starch seemed to be a real problem for me, it got me interested in diets that limited starch. It's interesting about the starch connection. Too bad they do get carried away on the nuts. Nuts were one of the first foods that I started noticing I had a problem with. So, it wasn't hard for me to think they should be eliminated. I guess, macadamias are okay, though, because of their low polyunsaturated oil content.

Dutchie

Swandattur said:
Yes, when I realized starch seemed to be a real problem for me, it got me interested in diets that limited starch. It's interesting about the starch connection. Too bad they do get carried away on the nuts. Nuts were one of the first foods that I started noticing I had a problem with. So, it wasn't hard for me to think they should be eliminated. I guess, macadamias are okay, though, because of their low polyunsaturated oil content.

Pufas migthve been not the only problem in nuts,most nuts contain starch with macadamia's as an exception.

Swandattur

Yeah, I think the starch must be a problem. Maybe it is a particularly bad one for not being digested. Maybe I have messed my gut bacteria up from eating too much (of the wrong?) starches.

Dutchie

As you probably have read on kickas too,it could be a certain gene you migth carry which is linked to klebsiella.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Swandattur said:
Maybe I have messed my gut bacteria up from eating too much (of the wrong?) starches.
Are you eating carrot salad?

sprinter

Swandattur said:

Actually I found "primal" Paleo because I was following a typical high starch bodybuilding type diet for years with lots of oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes and I started feeling very tired and weighed down by it. So I started low carb. I always avoided sugar and now that I follow a peat inspired diet I cant believe how much better I feel with sugar over starch. At best, starch makes me hungry again very soon after I eat it. The way I see it is that the best starch, potatoes, are still known to be problematic and require too much work.

Swandattur

I used to love making starch dishes, but starch really bothers me now. Before I went low carb, even, I realized starch seemed to be an issue. Now, I realize I can eat non starch carbs fine as long as I do stay off starch.

Dutchie, now that you mention it, I remember something about that. I'll have to look at that again. Thanks! Maybe it is this gene linked to Klebsiella that is the problem with starch.

Charlie, I do eat the carrot salad, and it is helpful for my digestive tract, but starch is still a problem. I would experiment with different starches, but I hate to rock my leaky boat. :)