Those that consumed more high-phytate foods actually had stronger bones, as measured in the heel, sp

tara

I just read the abstract, not the study. Which other relevant factors did the questionaires ask about, and the study control for? For instance, did the phytate eaters also happen to get more calcium, magnesium, vit-K, vit-D or sunlight, calories, or weight bearing exercise, ...?

SaltGirl

I don't have a link to the paper, but phytates increase copper and copper is a crucial part for the body to retain calcium(with other cofactors as well of course).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3373335

My guess is that the phytates possibly bind to iron which enhances copper absorption. This in turn helps the body make stronger bones.

Just google copper and oestoporosis and you'll see how important copper is in the equation.

tara

Am I understanding right - are you saying phytates bind iron but not copper, and so eating phytates can reduce iron absorbtion, increase copper absorption, and that extra coppper can do lots of good things including contribute to better bone mineralisation?

So is this a real down side of limiting seeds and greens?