This Is How The Carnivore Diet Lowers Serotonin...

rzero

Very interesting. I don't know if it is serotonin related, endotoxin related, persorption related, or all three, but I've been starting to wonder if the elimination of starch may be another key reason for the success stories with paleo and carnivore diets.

Personally, I recently "discovered" warm milk (whole milk) and since have been easily able to lower my starch intake to basically zero. I have been losing belly fat and bloat and plan on continuing to see where it goes.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Very interesting. I don't know if it is serotonin related, endotoxin related, persorption related, or all three, but I've been starting to wonder if the elimination of starch may be another key reason for the success stories with paleo and carnivore diets.

Personally, I recently "discovered" warm milk (whole milk) and since have been easily able to lower my starch intake to basically zero. I have been losing belly fat and bloat and plan on continuing to see where it goes.

Yeah excellent points.

We are starting to see more and more people feel a lot better when they ditch starch.

If I touch potatoe starch or tapioca starch, it will annhilate my libido for 7 days.

MidBicep

White rice is the only starch that I digest with 0 problems, but whenever I try to eliminate it I honestly feel like ***t.

rzero

White rice is the only starch that I digest with 0 problems, but whenever I try to eliminate it I honestly feel like ***t.
I wonder if it is the trouble of replacing the dense calories of starch that can cause problems when cutting it out.

As I said, warm milk has served as an unexpected starch replacement for me. I think the whole milk is proving to be too fatty however. I am starting to feel that the combination of fat and lactose is spiking my blood sugar in a way that I don't feel with a solely sugary food like orange juice or a solely fatty food like cheese. I am going to switch to 1% or skim to see if the feeling goes away.

MidBicep

I wonder if it is the trouble of replacing the dense calories of starch that can cause problems when cutting it out.

As I said, warm milk has served as an unexpected starch replacement for me. I think the whole milk is proving to be too fatty however. I am starting to feel that the combination of fat and lactose is spiking my blood sugar in a way that I don't feel with a solely sugary food like orange juice or a solely fatty food like cheese. I am going to switch to 1% or skim to see if the feeling goes away.

I drink 1.5% milk. Up until a couple months ago I couldn't drink 100 ml without having to rush to the toilet. Now I can drink up to a litre a day. There's plenty of foods I can either not digest at all or I can digest a small quantity of. 1 egg or 1 potato will give me painful BMs after a day like clockwork. In the one hand I wish I could just do Gomad, on the other hand the winter is cold and I can't figure out how I wouldn't feel hungry without starches

rzero

Of course different things will work for different people, but I've found warm milk is, unsurpisingly, warming, and filling in a way that resembles a meal of warm starch like pasta or potatoes. It also seems to assimilate more easily into the body than cold milk. As I'm waiting for the 2.5 minutes to heat a mug of milk up in the microwave, I think of the energy generation I'm now outsourcing to the power plant that I previously would have had to do biologically if drinking the milk cold.

Ray has mentioned the similarity between his preferred foods and the "sattvic" diet in Indian Ayurveda, which would consist of mainly fruit and milk. A few times I've seen the sattvic milk mentioned in Ayurveda as "cooked milk". Now pasteurized milk may be considered at least partially cooked, but heating it at home until a skin forms on the top certainly changes the milk further. I think there is a better taste and even stomach feel in heated milk even if is allowed to cool to room temperature, versus cold milk left to warm to room temperature.

MidBicep

Of course different things will work for different people, but I've found warm milk is, unsurpisingly, warming, and filling in a way that resembles a meal of warm starch like pasta or potatoes. It also seems to assimilate more easily into the body than cold milk. As I'm waiting for the 2.5 minutes to heat a mug of milk up in the microwave, I think of the energy generation I'm now outsourcing to the power plant that I previously would have had to do biologically if drinking the milk cold.

Ray has mentioned the similarity between his preferred foods and the "sattvic" diet in Indian Ayurveda, which would consist of mainly fruit and milk. A few times I've seen the sattvic milk mentioned in Ayurveda as "cooked milk". Now pasteurized milk may be considered at least partially cooked, but heating it at home until a skin forms on the top certainly changes the milk further. I think there is a better taste and even stomach feel in heated milk even if is allowed to cool to room temperature, versus cold milk left to warm to room temperature.
I drink milk ice cold and my grandma always tells me to heat it up so it doesn't upset my stomach, but now that you said it that way it makes quite a bit of sense to me. I'm going to try out drinking 1.5l of warm milk today and see if it makes a difference

Vins7

have you substituted starch for sugar too or do you just eat less carbohydrates?

Vins7

have you substituted starch for sugar too or do you just eat less carbohydrates?

rzero

I wasn't able to keep the no starch thing up. I mentioned in another post that I switched to skim milk as I wanted to try a fat-free diet. I eventually tired of skim milk and skim milk powder and switched to fat-free strained yogurt like Greek yogurt (cold). This ultimately proved too restrictive palate-wise and I began adding in starch, but I have been able to keep the (virtually) fat-free thing going.

Broken man

Yeah excellent points.

We are starting to see more and more people feel a lot better when they ditch starch.

If I touch potatoe starch or tapioca starch, it will annhilate my libido for 7 days.
This is interesting, member @Stryker is looking fantastic too and is eating around 2 kg of potatoes a day. The reason I am mentioning this is that I can replace potatoes with other things but most fruit is very sweet to me to the point i am not able to eat much of it and dairy is no no when its not goat milk or youghurt but I cant fulfill myself with this.

ExCarnivore

I drink milk ice cold and my grandma always tells me to heat it up so it doesn't upset my stomach, but now that you said it that way it makes quite a bit of sense to me. I'm going to try out drinking 1.5l of warm milk today and see if it makes a difference
I know this is a reasonably old thread, but how did you go with this? I've recently been turned on to the pro-metabolic approach from a carnivore diet, and I've been doing a lot of milk; so I'm interested in the expereinces of others regarding how they make it work best for them.