This Is A Big Piece Of The Health Puzzle

YourUniverse

Finished the book, excellent.

Question about something she wrote - xylose is one of "8 special sugars". I googled what all 8 were to no avail, does anyone have a list of the 8 sugars she is talking about?

L

lollipop

hi do ordinary floss contain glycerine?
Unfortunately, yes they do! They use it to bind the “flavor” to the thread along with the wax. Crazy. Then the glycerin gets in between your teeth and you seriously have a problem...VERY difficult to remove.

churchmouth

Unfortunately, yes they do! They use it to bind the “flavor” to the thread along with the wax. Crazy. Then the glycerin gets in between your teeth and you seriously have a problem...VERY difficult to remove.

Great point I had never considered this!

L

lollipop

Great point I had never considered this!
Yes a dentist friend and I discussed this problem and she told me she discovered this problem from flossing when she herself had a problem. She said it took her FOREVER to clear the glycerin from in between her teeth. And she is a dentist...luckily she is wise enough to tell her patients to use Glide original (white box) that only has wax. Must admit it is hard to find. I wanted a floss for the occasional need without any wax. Was super happy to find the brand above.

so the brand oral b and active dental floss may contain glycerin but it wont show in the ingredient list? Thats bad.

But if there is no flavor, there is no glycerine?

David PS

x-ray peat

@lisaferraro Thanks for the info on glycerin in floss. seems like everything health related today is a rabbit hole of hidden info.
I decided again to look at the safety of the waterpik and it seems that there is no real evidence that it can increase dental pockets, some evidence that it can decrease them and lots of evidence that it removes more plaque than flossing.

Evaluation of the plaque removal efficacy of a water flosser compared to string floss in adults after a single use. - PubMed - NCBI
CONCLUSION:
The Waterpik Water Flosser and manual toothbrush is significantly more effective than a manual brush and string floss in removing plaque from tooth surfaces.

Clinical benefits of oral irrigation for periodontitis are related to reduction of pro-inflammatory cytokine levels and plaque. - PubMed - NCBI
CONCLUSIONS:
Oral irrigation with water for 14 days had an improved therapeutic benefit for AP over that of routine oral hygiene alone and this improvement was accompanied by a down-modulation of the pro-inflammatory cytokine profile in GCF.

Use of a water flosser for interdental cleaning. - PubMed - NCBI
Abstract
Water flossers, also known as oral irrigators or dental water jets, can play a vital, effective role in interdental hygiene. Evidence has shown a significant reduction in plaque biofilm from tooth surfaces and the reduction of subgingival pathogenic bacteria from pockets as deep as 6 mm with the use of water flossing. In addition, water flossers have been shown to reduce gingivitis, bleeding, probing pocket depth, host inflammatory mediators, and calculus.

L

lollipop

so the brand oral b and active dental floss may contain glycerin but it wont show in the ingredient list? Thats bad.

But if there is no flavor, there is no glycerine?
I found the ingredient list on the packaging and it listed glycerin. The ingredient list was NOT put on the actual plastic container containing the product. A bit sneaky.

I think that is true, no flavor, no glycerin. Best is no wax no flavor. Almost impossible to find at pharmacies, drug stores, grocery stores, even places like Target.

L

lollipop

@lisaferraro Thanks for the info on glycerin in floss. seems like everything health related today is a rabbit hole of hidden info.
I decided again to look at the safety of the waterpik and it seems that there is no real evidence that it can increase dental pockets, some evidence that it can decrease them and lots of evidence that it removes more plaque than flossing.

Evaluation of the plaque removal efficacy of a water flosser compared to string floss in adults after a single use. - PubMed - NCBI
CONCLUSION:
The Waterpik Water Flosser and manual toothbrush is significantly more effective than a manual brush and string floss in removing plaque from tooth surfaces.

Clinical benefits of oral irrigation for periodontitis are related to reduction of pro-inflammatory cytokine levels and plaque. - PubMed - NCBI
CONCLUSIONS:
Oral irrigation with water for 14 days had an improved therapeutic benefit for AP over that of routine oral hygiene alone and this improvement was accompanied by a down-modulation of the pro-inflammatory cytokine profile in GCF.

Use of a water flosser for interdental cleaning. - PubMed - NCBI
Abstract
Water flossers, also known as oral irrigators or dental water jets, can play a vital, effective role in interdental hygiene. Evidence has shown a significant reduction in plaque biofilm from tooth surfaces and the reduction of subgingival pathogenic bacteria from pockets as deep as 6 mm with the use of water flossing. In addition, water flossers have been shown to reduce gingivitis, bleeding, probing pocket depth, host inflammatory mediators, and calculus.
Very interesting @x-ray peat!

tara

I get huge chunks of meat stuck in between my teeth that no amount of xylitol rinsing can remove. It can even cause pain. I beleive some people need to floss, if still eating meat, based on their teeth arrangement. But I do agree it would be better for gum health to not floss if there are no large particles to remove.
I always get food stuck in some places too.
I get bleeding gums in some places when I floss if I skip it for a several days. Then it stops after I floss for a couple of days.
The explanation I was given is that when I don't floss, infection in the gums makes them more vulnerable to bleeding. When I floss I remove the material that feeds the infection, and the gums are stronger and so less vulnerable to damage when I floss. Seems plausible.
I'm not super rough when I floss, go over each side of tooth surface but don't cut down hard into gums.
The container states that the tea tree oil is inherently antiseptic. It might be a gimmick.
I don't know about that product, but I think it's true that tea tree oil is antiseptic.

so as i understand, the glycerine is needed to attach the flavor to the wax?

How about in toothpaste? Can they hide the glycerine in as flavor?

I found the ingredient list on the packaging and it listed glycerin. The ingredient list was NOT put on the actual plastic container containing the product. A bit sneaky.

I think that is true, no flavor, no glycerin. Best is no wax no flavor. Almost impossible to find at pharmacies, drug stores, grocery stores, even places like Target.

L

lollipop

so as i understand, the glycerine is needed to attach the flavor to the wax?

How about in toothpaste? Can they hide the glycerine in as flavor?

Hi @HealthisWealth,

Yes glycerin works like a hydrophobic to bind and attach things together. Not sure if the attempt is to bind to the wax specifically but the reason for use is for the flavor. They are not hiding the glycerin from you, it is there on the packaging (not the actual product) for you to read. I also looked the desert essence one up on their website as I used to use that one as well.

As far as toothpaste, it is there on the label. Not hiding it. Again used as a binder especially for the new fangled “gels” etc.

This whole effort has been eye awakening as far as the true need to read labels and understand fully what we are consuming. The funny thing is, I know that. Have eliminated all processed foods and have been making everything from scratch. I had gotten lazy as regards to dental products.

Thanks really @lisaferraro for your very helpful contributions.

I have been using the oral b essential floss, oral b satin floss, and beauty formulas active floss.... . The oral b has no ingredient on the actual product. Any experience with these and if the active brand did not list the glycerine on the actual product?

oral b satin floss
802212_xlarge.jpg

oral b essential floss
th

The beauty formula is this
beauty-formulas-active-advanced-dental-floss-200m-58921-01-main-600x600.jpg

beauty-formulas-active-advanced-dental-floss-200m-58921-01-600x600.jpg

L

lollipop

Thanks really @lisaferraro for your very helpful contributions.

I have been using the oral b essential floss, oral b satin floss, and beauty formulas active floss.... . The oral b has no ingredient on the actual product. Any experience with these and if the active brand did not list the glycerine on the actual product?

oral b satin floss
802212_xlarge.jpg

oral b essential floss
th

The beauty formula is this
beauty-formulas-active-advanced-dental-floss-200m-58921-01-main-600x600.jpg

beauty-formulas-active-advanced-dental-floss-200m-58921-01-600x600.jpg
I did a google search @HealthisWealth about Oral B and glycerine. The first link shows it. I did not even need to hit the link. See below:

9558B52A-0FDF-4CB1-AC47-C04451A13ED5.png

Also note that UK and US products sometimes vary GREATLY in ingredients from same products. I found that out this past January while in UK...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals