This Is A Big Piece Of The Health Puzzle

OP
achillea

achillea

Same here but... "gum disease is a bacterial problem and that peroxide and baking soda get rid of it. But they make the teeth very sensitive. Stripping the mouth of biofilm can also strip your mouth of health. Oil pulling can cause the same harm. Gets rid of gum disease, but it screws up the biofilm."

"Can’t change oral ecosystem by flossing. Think in terms of balancing, not cleaning. Floss gently, don’t push bacteria into bloodstream. Repetitive use of tooth picks may create a gap between the teeth."

Dr Ellie Phillips totally agrees. She will not floss as there is the possibility of pushing the bacteria into the gums or blood. She was part of some so called contest amongst oral docs to see whose oral biome was the best after so long a time. the closest to her was 70% good bacteria while hers was in the 98% or so. Bacteria is the problem. Treat your teeth like a baby just like your body with nutrition.

Pompadour

Well, in Germany i can't find both CLOSYS and ACT products... :( Will the system work without them?
PS I have recently developed bleeding gums and very sensitive enamel... that is why i am so interested in trying this system of dent care.

L

lollipop

Well, in Germany i can't find both CLOSYS and ACT products... :( Will the system work without them?
PS I have recently developed bleeding gums and very sensitive enamel... that is why i am so interested in trying this system of dent care.
I think you do the best you can and implement what is possible for you. I am sure any level you try will help. Actually, if you listen to the interview she gives amazing tips that are simply healthy habits.

I, myself, will not right now implement everything, but I have started already with changing habits and using what I have available to myself right now.

1) Which, by the way, is only an earthpaste toothpaste that was sitting in the back of my cabinet that has xylitol.

2) I stopped using my toothpaste with glycerine.

3) Also I have at home a peppermint essential oil. So after food or a snack, I put two drops in my mouth and swish with my saliva to clean the acids out of my mouth, then I wait for 1-2 hours for my natural saliva to do its healing.

4) I stopped flossing.

All of this I implemented yesterday. This morning my teeth felt better upon waking up.

So like this, do what you can and what is available to you. Good luck :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Rand56

I listened to the Dr. Ellie interview, and never knew the downside of glycerin to oral health. Wouldn't you know it, I've been using Tom's fluoride free toothpaste for a long time, and the 2nd listed ingredient is glycerin lol ugh.

Pompadour

I listened to the Dr. Ellie interview, and never knew the downside of glycerin to oral health. Wouldn't you know it, I've been using Tom's fluoride free toothpaste for a long time, and the 2nd listed ingredient is glycerin lol

Yeah, exactly the same for me! I used special toothpaste for remineralisation my teeth. This paste is not rinced - one should leave it on teeth for better effect. But Glycerin is on the second or third place in ingredients list! Amazing!

Lilac

I'm pretty sure I knew that Ray doesn't like glycerin. I don't know where I read it or heard it, though.

I just listened to the interview. If what she says pans out, this is paradigm shifting. Anyone who is expecting a baby should give it a listen.

I'm going to try a few of her suggestions.

Rand56

I'm going to try a few of her suggestions

I went to Walmart yesterday and bought the products in her protocol, except for xyitol, I already have some of the crystals. The Closys is not cheap. It was about $11.50 for 32 oz. Dr Ellie is right, the Crest toothpaste is on the bottom shelf lol.

L

lollipop

I just listened to the interview. If what she says pans out, this is paradigm shifting. Anyone who is expecting a baby should give it a listen.
I think so as well. Pretty amazing. Her thoughts on flossing make sooo much sense.

Pompadour

I also suggest the book "Cure tooth decay. Heal and Prevent cavities with nutrition" by Ramiel Nagel. It is Peat-friendly (whole milk, vitamin K, no grains etc) and also gives a very good advices specifically to treat teeth and the whole idea of natural teeth healing.

OP
achillea

achillea

I listened to the Dr. Ellie interview, and never knew the downside of glycerin to oral health. Wouldn't you know it, I've been using Tom's fluoride free toothpaste for a long time, and the 2nd listed ingredient is glycerin lol ugh.

Dr Judd. the chemist professor in Arizona who was interested in teeth said in his book that it took at least 20 rinses to get the glycerin off the teeth. It is like paste.

B

Braveheart

from my leukemia notes re Xylitol

Chew your way to fewer ear and upper respiratory infections
OK, here is a more upbeat and fun little factoid.

Vaccine. 2000 Dec 8;19 Suppl 1:S144-7.

Xylitol in preventing acute otitis media.

Uhari M, Tapiainen T, Kontiokari T.

Department of Paediatrics, University of Oulu, FIN-90220 Oulu, Finland. [email protected]

Xylitol is a polyol sugar alcohol and is referred to as birch sugar, because it can be produced from birch. Natural sources of xylitol include plums, strawberries, raspberries and rowan berries. Xylitol inhibits the growth of Streptococcus pneumoniae and it inhibits the attachment of both pneumococci and Haemophilus influenzae on the nasopharyngeal cells. In two clinical trials xylitol was found efficient to prevent the development of acute otitis media with a daily dose of 8.4-10 g of xylitol given in five divided doses. The efficacy in these 2-3 months follow-up trials was approximately 40% when chewing gum was used and approximately 30% with xylitol syrup. The need to use antimicrobials reduced markedly when using xylitol. In a high-risk group of children with tympanostomy tubes xylitol was ineffective in preventing otitis. Xylitol appears to be an attractive alternative to prevent acute otitis media. A more practical frequency of doses should be found before its use can be widely recommended.

PMID: 11163479

Xylitol is a sugar substitute. You can find it in the forms of lozenges, chewing gum, syrup, nasal spray, mouthwash etc. The abstract above reports on a clinical trial done in Finland, using a large group of high risk pediatric patients. Lo and behold, it reduced the incidence of severe ear infections, to the tune of 40%, when children chewed gum containing xylitol.

Wikipedia has a very nice write-up on this interesting molecule, easily readable, so I won’t belabor the points made there. Basically, xylitol has half the calories of plain table sugar, no after taste and no known toxicity. Here are a few quotes, for those of you lazy enough not to click on the link:

• Xylitol is a “tooth-friendly”, nonfermentable sugar alcohol; dental health benefits in caries prevention; recent research confirms a plaque-reducing effect.
  • Bacteria prefer fermentable six-carbon sugars (i.e., normal table sugar), or disaccharides such as sucrose, as opposed to the nonfermentable xylitol, whose antimicrobial properties then “starve” the bacteria, reducing their growth and reproduction.
  • Xylitol also inhibits the growth of Streptococcus pneumoniae, as well as the attachment of Haemophilus influenzae on the nasopharyngeal cells. (since strep and flu cells find it harder to attach to the cells of of your nose and throat in the presence of xylitol, there is hope for reduced bronchitis, pneumonia etc. As I have told you on many previous occasions, the single biggest cause of death in CLL patients is lung infections in general, pneumonia in particular).
  • Studies have shown xylitol chewing gum can help prevent ear infections.
  • Xylitol has been found to increase the activity of neutrophils, the white blood cells involved in fighting many bacteria. This effect seems to be quite broad, acting even in cases such as general sepsis. (but please be aware this is from an animal study. I have not been able to find a similar study in humans).
So, how reliable is all this good news? Some of you may be aware of a group called the Cochrane Collaboration. This group does an excellent job of looking at clinical trial results and sorting out credible stuff from poorly done studies or results biased by ugly agendas. Well, we are fortunate that they have looked at the Finnish study and in their considered opinion, the results are valid. You can read the full chapter and verse of their findings here. While these studies were done with pediatric patients, I am reasonably convinced that the results are equally valid in the case of adults. Xylitol is quite safe (except to dogs, so please be careful), so the risk is minimal. Like chewing gum? Choose to chew xylitol containing gum. Use a mouthwash? Find a brand that contains xylitol. Frequent bronchial infections during the flu season? There are all kinds of nasal sprays available that contain xylitol.

upper respiratory infections are often the end for those w leukemia......

Xisca

Also I have at home a peppermint essential oil. So after food or a snack, I put two drops in my mouth
It is very strong to take that much, you can try with even 1 drop. I find it enough. Also very good for your liver and digestion!

I have been using Alep soap without glycerin for years. I mean as toothpaste.... Also I clean my brush with it afterward.

Changes:
- I was using xylitol powder only once per day at night, I will after every meal and snack.
- I was clearing my mouth sometimes with baking soda, and will diminish the dose, to stay nearer to a neutral pH. I still like it after orange juice or lemon!
(clearing means I do not brush with it)

And I am looking for siwak... Actually I had tried to sow seeds but they failed, so I will look for more seeds! I you find a good supplier, tell me!

And what about home made gummy bears with xylitol? :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals