Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Time to bring back Cistanche extract on the scene.

This herb has a plethora of benefits and for anyone who is wondering, this herb is known as Rou Cong Rong in Chinese medicine.

It is said to be a Yang tonic that benefits the kidneys, essence, and marrow (which includes the "sea of marrow", ie. the brain), lubricates the intestines, and also warms the womb. It is often used for fertility disorders, lower back weakness, and cognitive decline.

SPERM PRODUCTION:
"the administration of CTE (0.4 and 0.8 g/kg) increased sperm count (2.3- and 2.7-folds) and sperm motility (1.3- and 1.4-folds) and decreased the abnormal sperm (0.76- and 0.6-folds). The serum level of progesterone and testosterone in rats was also increased by CTE administration (p < 0.05)... Our results suggest that the increase in sex hormone levels could be mediated by the induction of testicular steroidogenic enzymes."

PROTECTS AGAINST BPA-TOXICITY IN THE TESTICLES:
Echinacoside and Cistanche tubulosa (Schenk) R. wight ameliorate bisphenol A-induced testicular and sperm damage in rats through gonad axis regulated steroidogenic enzymes [2016].

ENHANCES STEROIDOGENIC ENZYMES:
Improves StAR, CYP11A1, CYP17A1, and HSD17β3 protein expression.
Restore kisspeptin 1 (KiSS1), G protein-coupled receptor GPR 54, suppressor of cytokine signaling 3 (SOCS-3), and sirtuin 1 (SIRT1) messenger ribonucleic acid (mRNA) expression in the hypothalamus and recover sex hormone level (Effect of Cistanche Tubulosa Extracts on Male Reproductive Function in Streptozotocin–Nicotinamide-Induced Diabetic Rats).
ECH increases testosterone and LH levels in serum, encephalon + pituitary and testis

POSSIBLE DHT ENHANCEMENT:
mRNA expression of molecules related to cholesterol transport [apolipoprotein B and very low density lipoprotein (VLDL) receptor] and metabolism [cytochrome P450 side chain cleave (SCC) and steroid 5alpha-reductase 2] were up-regulated.

TARGETS HYPOTHALAMIC ANDROGEN RECEPTOR:
Echinacoside Increases Sperm Quantity in Rats by Targeting the Hypothalamic Androgen Receptor

SIDE BENEFITS
HAIR GROWTH:

Efficacy of Cistanche Tubulosa and Laminaria Japonica Extracts (MK-R7) Supplement in Preventing Patterned Hair Loss and Promoting Scalp Health. - PubMed - NCBI

DOPAMINE ENHANCEMENT:
3.5. The Administration of C. deserticola Y.C.Ma and C. tubulosa Decoction Resulted in the Upregulation of Central Dopamine Concentration and the Downregulation of Serum Corticosterone Concentration.

ANTIDEPRESSANT/ANTI STRESS VIA MICROBIOME:
Antidepressant-Like Effects of Cistanche tubulosa Extract on Chronic Unpredictable Stress Rats Through Restoration of Gut Microbiota Homeostasis

The multiple efficacy of herb Cistanche decoction ranges between the aphrodisiac [14], immune-promoting [15], antioxidative [16], and hepatoprotective [17] properties. C. deserticola decoctions induce the testicular steroidogenic enzymes [18], promote penis erectile response, and shorten the latency period of erectile reaction in castrated rats [19]

Anti-aging Properties
Herba Cistanches possesses broad medicinal functions, especially for use in anti-senescence, anti-oxidation, neuroprotection, anti-inflammation, hepatoprotection, immunomodulation, anti-neoplastic, anti-osteoporosis and the promotion of bone formation. This review summarizes the up-to-date and comprehensive information on Herba Cistanches covering the aspects of the botany, traditional uses, phytochemistry and pharmacology, to lay ground for fully elucidating the potential mechanisms of Herba Cistanches’ anti-aging effect and promote its clinical application as an anti-aging herbal medicine.
Herba Cistanches: Anti-aging

Before you ask where to source this herb, I have tried literally 4-5 different extracts on the market, and finally landed on my favourite.
Tested it on a cyclist friend of mine and he already said he loves it after 5 days of consecutive use.

FULL DISCLOSURE:
I am reporting my affiliations with the exact product I ended up landing on here- Cistanche | Ergogenic Health

ubiety

I got consistently good cognitive effects from Cistanche, but stopped taking it because it drove my libido too high. I'm retrying some supps since I've improved my gut issues and will add cistanche to the list.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I got consistently good cognitive effects from Cistanche, but stopped taking it because it drove my libido too high. I'm retrying some supps since I've improved my gut issues and will add cistanche to the list.

The cognitive effects are the most apparent, I notice. Distinct dopamine feeling to it.

It's powerful for libido too. Keep us updated.

Momado965

The cognitive effects are the most apparent, I notice. Distinct dopamine feeling to it.

It's powerful for libido too. Keep us updated.

Are you using jing herbs or lost empire herbs or a completely different company?

Whats a common dose? Ive tried an Amazon brand and have noticed pretty much nothing from it.

Grapelander

Interesting, a parasitic plant – does not have chlorophyll.

Order: Lamiales (mint, basil, sage)
Family: Orobanchaceae

If it ever gets hard to get, rehmannia is related and could be a replacement:
CISTANCHE and Endangered Species Issues Affecting the Herb Supply

The active ingredients isolated from Cistanche include iridoid and phenylpropenoid glycosides, such as acetoside (also called verbascoside, named for Verbena, from which it was first isolated), echinacoside (also found in the Western herb echinacea), and cistanoside (named for cistanche). The active constituents of cistanche are quite similar to those of another kidney tonic, rehmannia, which is a yin nourishing tonic. In fact, all three of these glycosides are also found in rehmannia, along with its primary iridoid glycoside, catalpol. Rehmannia and cistanche are both rich in sterols, such as daucosterol and sitosterol.

The population of the species has notably decreased and its distribution area has shrunk. The demand in the international market for cistanche has grown quickly in recent years, especially with heavy promotion of the herb for use in treating impotence and infertility. As the living conditions in China improve, more people are turning to consumption of tonics, including the anti-aging tonic formulas made with cistanche, so it has greater domestic use as well. Collectors of the wild plants have not practiced any propagation of new plants, so the increased collection results in dwindling supply.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Interesting, a parasitic plant – does not have chlorophyll.

Order: Lamiales (mint, basil, sage)
Family: Orobanchaceae

If it ever gets hard to get, rehmannia is related and could be a replacement:
CISTANCHE and Endangered Species Issues Affecting the Herb Supply

The active ingredients isolated from Cistanche include iridoid and phenylpropenoid glycosides, such as acetoside (also called verbascoside, named for Verbena, from which it was first isolated), echinacoside (also found in the Western herb echinacea), and cistanoside (named for cistanche). The active constituents of cistanche are quite similar to those of another kidney tonic, rehmannia, which is a yin nourishing tonic. In fact, all three of these glycosides are also found in rehmannia, along with its primary iridoid glycoside, catalpol. Rehmannia and cistanche are both rich in sterols, such as daucosterol and sitosterol.

The population of the species has notably decreased and its distribution area has shrunk. The demand in the international market for cistanche has grown quickly in recent years, especially with heavy promotion of the herb for use in treating impotence and infertility. As the living conditions in China improve, more people are turning to consumption of tonics, including the anti-aging tonic formulas made with cistanche, so it has greater domestic use as well. Collectors of the wild plants have not practiced any propagation of new plants, so the increased collection results in dwindling supply.

Rehmannia I find is actually suppressive to my vigor, and motivation. I have this feeling it lowers dopamine. I read it increases Dopamine transporter activity, which is not good.

On another note... "The weights of testes, seminal vesicle and prostate gland in mice and rats were also increased by cistanche extract. " - [Kidney reinforcing and yang supporting action of cistanche deserticola Y. C. Ma before and after preparation]. - PubMed - NCBI

Sure seems like a 5-AR inhibitor.

https://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/cjpp-2015-0112

Cistanche salsa has been used in traditional medicine for the treatment of kidney deficiency, neurasthenia, sexual dysfunction diseases, and benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). The aim of this study was to investigate the mechanism by which C. salsa extract (CSE) elicits an anti-proliferative effect on the prostate tissue of BPH-induced rats. The effects of CSE on BPH were evaluated in terms of prostate weight, production of serum dihydrotestosterone (DHT), and the mRNA expression of 5α-reductase type 1 and type 2 in the prostate tissue of BPH-induced rats. In addition, hematoxylin and eosin (H&E) staining was performed for histological examination of prostate gland morphology, and protein expression levels in prostate tissue were investigated by western blot analysis. CSE treatment decreased prostate weight, serum DHT concentration, and the mRNA expression of 5α-reductase type 1 and type 2 in prostate tissue of BPH-induced rats. In addition, CSE treatment suppressed cell proliferation by regulating the expression levels of inflammatory-related proteins (inducible nitric oxide synthase and cyclooxygenase 2) and apoptosis-associated proteins (caspase-3 and Bcl-2 family proteins). CSE may be a potential therapeutic candidate for BPH owing to its ability to regulate the expression of inflammatory and apoptosis-related proteins.