This Board Is Crazy! Advice Is Awful For The Most Part

macaroot said:
I can't get over how complicated so many of you make it to be healthy.

Why not just eat a healthy diet?

I think a lot of you mean well, but your approach to this lifestyle is nuts.

LOL, out of all the nutrition boards out there, you say this board is crazy?

I hope you went to Mark's Daily Snake Oil forum and the 30 Bananas A Day forum and said the same thing to them. ;)

The MDA people say some crazy things. The 30BAD Harley & Freelee fanboys and girls say some crazy things.

Or how about the GAPS diet folk, who have a whole list of "bad" foods that makes me laugh every time I look at it.

Or the Weston Price people who think fermented cod liver oil and grass fed butter is the answer to everything, meanwhile their cult leader Sally Fallon looks like she eats KFC everyday, not "nourished traditional food."

Or how about the Matt Stone crowd, who think they are "eating for heat" by watching 80's movies and eating pizza and cheeseburgers everyday and are only warm because of stress hormones and not an increased metabolic rate. They get fatter by the day as they eagerly await Matt's next book that will have the secret to losing weight and recovering from their diet! Diet Recovery 1 and 2 was not enough. Watch out for Diet Recovery 3, coming soon!

Anthony Colpo words it nicely:

"Now go back to eating your bulls*it 30 bananas a day “I got hospitalized for hyperkalemia!”/ketogenic “I’m so happy my energy sucks and breath stinks because it means I’m in ketosis!”/intermittent fasting “I starve all day then eat like an out-of-control slob in a 3-hour window at night because experiments with lab mice show this increases levels of something called ‘heat shock proteins’!”/vegetarian and vegan “a diet that is woefully deficient in vitamin B12, retinyl palmitate, carnosine, carnitine, creatine, and taurine is healthier!”/Paleo “I don’t eat anything that my Stone Age ancestors didn’t eat, except for beef, chicken, pork, lamb, modern vegetable and fruit cultivars, whey protein, and Bulletproof coffee! Yep, pretty much my whole ******* diet would’ve been alien to my Paleolithic forebears, but walking around in a Crossfit t-shirt and telling everyone I eat a “Caveman” diet makes me feel hardcore!” - AC

Do I even need to mention the Jack Kruse forum? How about the Paul Jaminet worshipers, who don't realize that Paul has horrible skin and gynocomastia.

macaroot said:
Do this, and you will experience radiant health.

No, you won't. Speak for yourself.

macaroot said:
Coffee and aspirin are great... in reasonable doses! You don't gain health by blasting your system with 6 cups of coffee a day, or popping 6 aspirin tablets. It's like some of you are just junkies, looking for the next silver bullet, instead of just eating a healthy diet.

There are actual positive studies on large dose aspirin up to 5 grams but I don't feel like digging them up for you.

macaroot said:
Don't consume sugar and starch at the same meal. Your gut will hate you for it.

Speak for yourself. I eat sugar and starch at the same meal everyday and I've never felt better. :D

Also, you're forgetting that Ray Peat's view goes far beyond diet:

Estrogen. serotonin, Co2, endotoxin, lactic acid, darkness, blue light, red light, sunlight, cytochrome oxidase, radiation, x-rays, over-exercise, nitric oxide, pituitary hormones, anti-authoritarianism, expressing oneself artistically and many other non-diet things.

Ray looks great for an 80 year old and he also has amazing cognitive ability. He quickly recalls things in his memory from so many places so quickly. Just listen to the interviews.

Ray did many things in the "alternative" health movement that you don't even acknowledge. He's largely responsible for the popularity of coconut oil now because of an article that he wrote about it back in 1996. Health food stores in the Pacific Northwest started to import and promote coconut oil because of him and that expanded overtime everywhere else. But then this happened:

“The natural foods/health food store industry stopped wanting to hear what I had to say, and no longer wanted me speaking at public events because they didn’t like what I was saying about vegetable oil because it is such an important ingredient in so many of their foods.” - Ray Peat, (one of the audio interviews)

s5ijd4.jpg

He also is responsible for something very important, and that is the shift from the view of estrogen as a good thing, and he showed how bad it is, and what it does, to how good progesterone is and what it does. It was Dr. John Lee and Ray Peat who are responsible for that. The drug industry lobbied to get a cancer warning of every single progesterone supplement in the state of California because of Ray Peat. That is pretty powerful. Let's see Jack Kruse or Mark Sisson do that. Ray is not just a diet huckster, he's a real biologist, artist, and humble person.

29fql8g.jpg

eajbkz.jpg

I may bicker with people about trivial dietary things like starch and fat and stuff, but the overall picture is much more important than trivial dietary matters. Hormones, thyroid, and what you do with your life are also very important.

goodandevil

Ray peat nibbles on t3 throughout the day and lost his teeth to brewer's yeast; id say he has a spirit of experimentation. Sad to see someone leave the community dissapointed though, god bless him.

goodandevil

Westside PUFAs said:
macaroot said:
I can't get over how complicated so many of you make it to be healthy.

Why not just eat a healthy diet?

I think a lot of you mean well, but your approach to this lifestyle is nuts.

LOL, out of all the nutrition boards out there, you say this board is crazy?

I hope you went to Mark's Daily Snake Oil forum and the 30 Bananas A Day forum and said the same thing to them. ;)

The MDA people say some crazy things. The 30BAD Harley & Freelee fanboys and girls say some crazy things.

Does matt stone take thyroid? He must, I presume.

Or how about the GAPS diet folk, who have a whole list of "bad" foods that makes me laugh every time I look at it.

Or the Weston Price people who think fermented cod liver oil and grass fed butter is the answer to everything, meanwhile their cult leader Sally Fallon looks like she eats KFC everyday, not "nourished traditional food."

Or how about the Matt Stone crowd, who think they are "eating for heat" by watching 80's movies and eating pizza and cheeseburgers everyday and are only warm because of stress hormones and not an increased metabolic rate. They get fatter by the day as they eagerly await Matt's next book that will have the secret to losing weight and recovering from their diet! Diet Recovery 1 and 2 was not enough. Watch out for Diet Recovery 3, coming soon!

"Now go back to eating your bulls*it 30 bananas a day “I got hospitalized for hyperkalemia!”/ketogenic “I’m so happy my energy sucks and breath stinks because it means I’m in ketosis!”/intermittent fasting “I starve all day then eat like an out-of-control slob in a 3-hour window at night because experiments with lab mice show this increases levels of something called ‘heat shock proteins’!”/vegetarian and vegan “a diet that is woefully deficient in vitamin B12, retinyl palmitate, carnosine, carnitine, creatine, and taurine is healthier!”/Paleo “I don’t eat anything that my Stone Age ancestors didn’t eat, except for beef, chicken, pork, lamb, modern vegetable and fruit cultivars, whey protein, and Bulletproof coffee! Yep, pretty much my whole ******* diet would’ve been alien to my Paleolithic forebears, but walking around in a Crossfit t-shirt and telling everyone I eat a “Caveman” diet makes me feel hardcore!” - AC

Do I even need to mention the Jack Kruse forum? How about the Paul Jaminet worshipers, who don't realize that Paul has horrible skin and gynocomastia.

macaroot said:
Do this, and you will experience radiant health.

No, you won't. Speak for yourself.

macaroot said:
Coffee and aspirin are great... in reasonable doses! You don't gain health by blasting your system with 6 cups of coffee a day, or popping 6 aspirin tablets. It's like some of you are just junkies, looking for the next silver bullet, instead of just eating a healthy diet.

There are actual positive studies on large dose aspirin up to 5 grams but I don't feel like digging them up for you.

macaroot said:
Don't consume sugar and starch at the same meal. Your gut will hate you for it.

Speak for yourself. I eat sugar and starch at the same meal everyday and I've never felt better. :D

goodandevil

Does matt stone take thyroid? My gf was over 99 today while adjusting to progest e, I presume that has to be a high metabolism.

pboy

yes W & Pufa, and don't forget another important non diet factor of Peats work...you must have slicked back hair, or all is for naught. This is more important than the diet itself

Peat's_Girl

macaroot said:
This post was my parting shot, as I will never log onto this board ever again.

In health,
Macaroot

Aw, take heart! I know how you feel! But the level of misanthropy comes from the sheer number of socially awkward teenage boys on the forum. Threads with subjects like, "Hi, I'm on a public forum and I hate people, so please talk to me people, because I hate you all, but still desperately want your communication", male masturbation, and self-aggrandising debates about intelligence and superiority-- these will unfortunately take precedent over those aimed to help newbies take in the dense literature.

Most of us, can do nothing but roll our eyes and steer clear of people who are malicious, resentful and probably bored. If you really want to give this a try, start a log and hope that well-meaning veterans like Tara, Jen, pboy, Amazoniac, Narouz, Jen and others would pop-in to help. Ignore the other threads, for the sake of your sanity! ;D

Also, take Peat's ideas with a grain of salt. The reason he hasn't, and will not, outline a diet is because he offers advice to supplement an EXISTING diet --not recreate a potato famine for first world people. Look around, everyone eats a diet that's completely different and are still Peat-compliant! BS (pun) probably doesn't make sense to you but maybe not cooking with canola oil does? ;)

Peat's_Girl said:
Aw, take heart! I know how you feel! But the level of misanthropy comes from the sheer number of socially awkward teenage boys on the forum. Threads with subjects like, "Hi, I'm on a public forum and I hate people, so please talk to me people, because I hate you all, but still desperately want your communication", male masturbation, and self-aggrandising debates about intelligence and superiority-- these will unfortunately take precedent over those aimed to help newbies take in the dense literature.

I agree about the misanthropic boys. I don't know how they end up on nutrition based forums. I'll never forget this guy: http://beesandbutterflies.org/11887/6-m ... ting-worse

Peat's_Girl said:
Most of us, can do nothing but roll our eyes and steer clear of people who are malicious, resentful and probably bored. If you really want to give this a try, start a log and hope that well-meaning veterans like Tara, Jen, pboy, Amazoniac, Narouz, Jen and others would pop-in to help. Ignore the other threads, for the sake of your sanity! ;D

Also, take Peat's ideas with a grain of salt. The reason he hasn't, and will not, outline a diet is because he offers advice to supplement an EXISTING diet --not recreate a potato famine for first world people. Look around, everyone eats a diet that's completely different and are still Peat-compliant! BS (pun) probably doesn't make sense to you but maybe not cooking with canola oil does? ;)

A little passive-aggressive? :think:

The second half is simply not true.

I understand the theme in this, when people say "there is no Peat diet" and similar things but the reality is he offers nutritional counseling and has for many years. I have an email with him from December of 2011 where he said he does nutrition consults for $75 per half hour. In this video from 2005, the moderator announces to the class that Ray offers nutrtion coaching and they say to contact him if you want it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdLHWFJI2y0

That's not just "advice to supplement an EXISTING diet."

Besides that, there are many quotes where he uses the word "important" with specific food related things. He once said that he gets bored eating the same foods all the time in an audio interview. That's something that everyone deals with. Also, there are many foods that he personally does not eat much of but nonetheless recommends those foods to people who consult him, such as cooked leafy greens like kale, collards, chard, etc., as in the actual leafs, not just the boiled juice. There are many quotes on the peatarian emails where he recommends those. And there are other foods that he has said are "safe" even though he doesn't eat them such as well cooked white rice with butter. He's even done the unthinkable to many people and has said that a legume, the chickpea, as in hummus "isn't nutritionally harmful."

Another great quote: "The body has lots of flexibility, and doesn’t have to be given everything every day (or even every week).” — A Reader's correspondence with Ray Peat

Potato famine for first world people you say? Well, Ray said this back in 2000:

"It's a good idea to have a quart of milk (about 32 grams of protein) every day, besides a variety of other high quality proteins, including cheeses, eggs, shellfish, and potatoes. The protein of potatoes is extremely high quality, and the quantity, in terms of a percentage, is similar to that of milk." RP

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/ray-peat.htm

But Peat-loving-potato-haters completley ignore that one. ;)

Peat's_Girl

Westside PUFAs said:

It's Canadian. ;)

And that's not how I meant it. I'm simply reducing my cortisol by avoiding pointless arguments on public forums where neither party becomes more enlightened.

Westside PUFAs said:

Is that a fact?

Westside PUFAs said:
I understand the theme in this, when people say "there is no Peat diet" and similar things but the reality is he offers nutritional counseling and has for many years. I have an email with him from December of 2011 where he said he does nutrition consults for $75 per half hour. In this video from 2005, the moderator announces to the class that Ray offers nutrtion coaching and they say to contact him if you want it.

No doubt. But that advice is personally tailored to the person with whom he's communicating. Agree with me or not, I find that Peat tends to contradict himself.

Westside PUFAs said:

Fine, but that's how I see it because I don't see a lot of people here having success on the elements of the diet he does repeat (repetetion=importance?). Rather than point the finger and say, "you're not doing it right according to the outlined advice in *quote*", my tactic has always been to discard the elements that don't work. And in my humble opinion, sticking to some elements of the Peat diet is still doing the Peat diet!

So what is the Peat diet according to you? Glatin, OJ, milk, lean seafood, weekly liver/ oysters, carrots and coconut oil? What about potatoes? What about the other elements he "doesn't consume" that are made more nutritious through soaking/ traditional preparation? There are way too many elements to perscribe one diet for all! If you ask people most will have a variation, so where would you draw the line at an approved Peat diet versus a non-approved Peat diet?
To me these sound like additions to a diet your already enjoy in good health (starch, meat, grains, legumes).

Westside PUFAs said:
Besides that, there are many quotes where he uses the word "important" with specific food related things. He once said that he gets bored eating the same foods all the time in an audio interview. That's something that everyone deals with. Also, there are many foods that he personally does not eat much of but nonetheless recommends those foods to people who consult him, such as cooked leafy greens like kale, collards, chard, etc., as in the actual leafs, not just the boiled juice. There are many quotes on the peatarian emails where he recommends those. And there are other foods that he has said are "safe" even though he doesn't eat them such as well cooked white rice with butter. He's even done the unthinkable to many people and has said that a legume, the chickpea, as in hummus "isn't nutritionally harmful."

How are the things you just mentioned not supplementary things?...

Westside PUFAs said:
Another great quote: "The body has lots of flexibility, and doesn’t have to be given everything every day (or even every week).” — A Reader's correspondence with Ray Peat[/quote[

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with me on! ;D
Maybe my bad reading comprehension stems from spending too much time on this forum! ;D

Westside PUFAs said:
"It's a good idea to have a quart of milk (about 32 grams of protein) every day, besides a variety of other high quality proteins, including cheeses, eggs, shellfish, and potatoes. The protein of potatoes is extremely high quality, and the quantity, in terms of a percentage, is similar to that of milk." RP

That's the quote I had in mind. I meant, people can ignorantly or willfully misinterpert his advice to mean all milk, or all potatoes, or no meat. ("As in, is milk/ potato is the perfect protein then why would I eat all other imperfect foods?!") It's the kind of orthorexia I've been guilty of in the past.

Augh, this is what I mean.
How did I get roped into this argument...?!
This is what happens on here!

I HATE YOU RAY PEAT PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Nicholas

Westside PUFAs said:
Peat's_Girl said:

I agree about the misanthropic boys. I don't know how they end up on nutrition based forums. I'll never forget this guy: http://beesandbutterflies.org/11887/6-m ... ting-worse

Peat's_Girl said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdLHWFJI2y0

Another great quote: "The body has lots of flexibility, and doesn’t have to be given everything every day (or even every week).” — A Reader's correspondence with Ray Peat

Potato famine for first world people you say? Well, Ray said this back in 2000:

http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/ray-peat.htm

But Peat-loving-potato-haters completley ignore that one. ;)

no offense to mr. peat but he is not qualified to be a nutritional counselor/practitioner. That is a very specific skill which is completely separate from just knowing a lot about the body. I highly doubt he even has the skill of the dime a dozen "holistic" practitioners that start new websites every day.

He has probably been doing it since before Schwarzenegger got his muscles...

Giraffe

Nicholas said:
no offense to mr. peat but he is not qualified to be a nutritional counselor/practitioner. That is a very specific skill which is completely separate from just knowing a lot about the body. I highly doubt he even has the skill of the dime a dozen "holistic" practitioners that start new websites every day.
If nutritional counselours and physicians knew a little more about the body, they would possibly...

- not advice to restrict cholesterol intake in order to reduce blood lipids
- not advice to reduce salt intake
- not claim that high intake of vitamin A (from food) is toxic, while supplementing beta-carotene is safe
- not advice so often to eat 40+ g of fiber
- not praise PUFA-rich seed oils as a good source of vitamin E
- not ...

Nicholas

Giraffe said:
Nicholas said:
If nutritional counselours and physicians knew a little more about the body, they would possibly...

- not claim that high intake of vitamin A (from food) is toxic, while supplementing beta-carotene is safe
- not ...

but having this understanding is not understanding the *how* of healing. everyone knows nutritional tidbits but very very few understand how to make them useful. You can refer to my post "Our First Love".

YuraCZ

Westside PUFAs said:

This is epic..

Nicholas said:

You should be banned for saying that. I'm serious.

Nicholas

Westside PUFAs said:
Nicholas said:

You should be banned for saying that. I'm serious.

i do apologize only for the last sentence being slightly demeaning in tone (though i believe it to be a true statement). Remember, i'm not talking about knowledge, i'm talking about approach. The approach i have seen him use in private e-mails is no more sophisticated than the approach of the dime a dozen practitioners out there. Why do i say this? The same reason Peat exposes the misguided approaches of the medical establishment. Your real offense is something different because you know i appreciate Dr. Peat. Thinking and illuminating is not over. It's not B.P, A.P. I am only hoping to build on the foundation which Peat is already a part of. If you can't see that everything i write is based on things which Peat has helped to reveal more and more, then i don't know what to say.

burtlancast

Giraffe said:

- not ...

- not advice against eating saturated fats
- not advice supplementing on estrogen because "the body needs estrogen"
- not advice to get enough iron
- not advice lowering cholesterol with statins
- not warn against aspirin usage
- not advice against drinking milk or eating ice cream
- not advice drinking enough water because "the body craves water"
- not..

4peatssake

There is a wealth of valuable information on this forum - for those who do the work to uncover it for themselves.

People who chronically complain about the forum and/or its collective members fail to see that their real problem is themselves. People like that stay stuck unless they are able to shift the focus off others and onto themselves and take full responsibility for their problems. You are where you are as the result of the choices you have made in life. No one else can change you but you.

The only way out is to go within and change yourself.
Ray Peat is simply a way show-er. You got to take the trip yourself.
He's not the only way show-er and is the first to say that.

If you think the forum is not what it could be, or should be, I suggest you do your part and contribute in a positive way.

Complaining about current conditions just puts you in the camp with all the other complainers, who contribute nothing but their own misery.

:2cents

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals