Thinking Of Stopping Eating Peat

jaakkima

Hi,

I would like to be eating Peat. I've been trying for the past year (October 2012). Unfortunately it seems like it is counterproductive in my case (until I can deal with the problem).

I think I have some really bad infection (parasite). It is in my gut. I am still having stool tests done (and need to find somewhere that offers blood testing of hormones, vitamins, trace elements etc) and they haven't found anything yet (though they found blastocystis hominis last year... should I trust negative tests results more recently? No change in symptoms... Actually, deep worsening) Whatever my issue is has been going on for a few years at least but ever since Peating, it feels life-threatening. Monsters ripping my gut apart feeling, constant malnourishment and hungry feeling, but hard to eat anything, the smallest bit of food makes me feel so full like I'm going to burst open, hard to breathe, heart pounding, face became more inflamed I think, can't ever sleep... Before, when I ate largely cooked vegetables and grains (I liked quinoa a lot) it wasn't so painful. I had bad issues but I was more functional by a huge margin. Whatever's in me makes it hard to drink oj and especially milk. I do ok with meat, and eggs are easy. Potatoes aren't too bad. Oddly, ice cream doesn't seem to be too bad - but I can only eat so much fat (including the pufa in it). So apart from the ice cream it seems like everything with sugar is having a really bad effect. No matter how much anti inflammatory stuff, anti-serotonin drugs, carrot salad, thyroid, sulfur, whatever... everything has only gotten worse.

Exception - For a brief period of time I was living on a potato soup with salt gelatin and coconut oil and though it got to be unbearable to only eat that, I think I gained about 20 pounds or so at that time. I still look wasted away but every pound is important right? Maybe I should try that again...

I don't know if anyone can help, but I thought I'd ask what anybody thinks.
:):

Dan W

Have you tried writing Peat? From iLoveSugar's post in your thread about the parasite, it seems like you're already using Peat's "first line of defense", so it'd be interesting to see what he says about it not working for you.

When you mention, "I can only eat so much fat", are you referring to a physical reaction?

And just for experimentation's sake, have you tried activated charcoal? I found a passing mention of it helping with that particular parasite:
http://curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=2028398#i

OP
J

jaakkima

Yeah I've done a good amount of charcoal. I didn't really notice anything but what the hey, maybe I'll experiment with it again since I still have some.

No "reaction" to fat. My body seems to do fine with it, and before I heard of Peat I used to gorge on nuts :-( and eat a very high fat diet. Regarding the blastocystis, it's actually an old test result and I have been tested recently with nothing coming up from the standard ova and parasite tests.... I was thinking that "I must still have it" at that moment but then I realized I have no evidence for it. But there are more specific tests my doc is having me do for giardia etc

I've written Peat and have an ongoing email conversation but it seems to me like he couldn't help much until I have some test results to go on at least. When I do I may want to try to get a full consultation...

Until I have some real evidence of the problem I'm considering starting to eat a lot of quinoa again. And THC so I can't feel my stomach pain. What about pot edibles?

Bluebell

Have you lived or travelled in areas where there are a lot of parasites?

It does sound like it would be good to get tests to identify which one it is, then the treatment could be tailored better. I think you should eat what helps you most, even if it's not Peat foods.

Gabriel

Have you ever tried to reset your gut with antibiotics/anti-parasite drugs?

kiran

I guess jello helps a bit.
Have you tried eating some of it with every meal?

OP
J

jaakkima

I've used a couple antibiotics this year when I was trying to guess the problem, but I figure they are each somewhat specific in what they work for. Not sure if I should "shoot blindly" any more.
I've been having a lot of jello this year. Every day, but not with every meal... I haven't been able to systematize having it always made.

mandance

Have you had a colonoscopy? It almost sounds like it could be an autoimmune issue with your gut like crohns disease. But thats just a guess obviously. But doing that procedure could rule out a lot of problems you could possibly have.

OP
J

jaakkima

Bluebell said:
Have you lived or travelled in areas where there are a lot of parasites?

It does sound like it would be good to get tests to identify which one it is, then the treatment could be tailored better. I think you should eat what helps you most, even if it's not Peat foods.

Strangely I haven't. I went to Chicago a few years back and got horribly horribly ill after eating a can of nuts that I think something was wrong with. I seemed better after the violent illness for a week or so, but I wonder if something stayed with me from then. Only a few other places in the US and Italy, but I was already having problems by Italy.

OP
J

jaakkima

mandance said:
Have you had a colonoscopy? It almost sounds like it could be an autoimmune issue with your gut like crohns disease. But thats just a guess obviously. But doing that procedure could rule out a lot of problems you could possibly have.

No, I haven't yet. I have always been suspicious of how those gut disorders are understood, and if anything should help with "autoimmunity", it seems like a Peat therapy should. How does Crohn's disease work? Wikipedia says it's not an autoimmune disease but only "immune-related" anyway. I have had a colon cleanse, which made me feel great for a short time.

mandance

I dont know but if you feel this sick, you should be seeing a doctor. And getting things like that checked out. Following Peat def helps, but you could have a severe problem that only a doctor can really diagnose.

4peatssake

mandance said:
I dont know but if you feel this sick, you should be seeing a doctor. And getting things like that checked out. Following Peat def helps, but you could have a severe problem that only a doctor can really diagnose.
I disagree. Going to a doctor or not going to a doctor is a free will decision and and I don't feel it is appropriate to tell someone what they "should" or "should not" do.

Most people on this forum are here because doctors have failed them. Most of us have taken our lives and health into our own hands and are running from such authorities.

If you read and understand Ray Peat you will see that his primary goal is the de-establishment of medicine.

Ray Peat said:
Everywhere in our culture, authoritarian ignorance has disproportionate influence. Most of the published work in our culture treats the succession of authoritarian academic/scien- tific/political cults as if this were simply the way history and human nature work, and must work. But this mechanical historical process is only superficial, and below this surface, individuals and groups have always lived as though time behaved very differently for them. William Blake was a person who investigated this discrepancy between official cultural progression, and real human possibility, and his ideas might be able to do essentially what he suggested they could do: Provide a way to by-pass the officially established mechanistic view of reality, into a more fully human reality. Since Blake ridiculed established doctrines in medicine, chemistry, mathematics, and Newtonian physics, many people have dismissed him as a religious nut, but the way in which he criticized them indicates that he simply believed that they were bad science; he also criticized conventional art and morality, because he believed that they were destroying art and morality.
Can art instruct science? William Blake as biological visionary

I'm taking the Ray Peat by-pass. ;)

mandance

You are right. I worded that badly. It is OPs decision, and I am not the decision maker. I was merely trying to help OP because it sounds pretty severe, and having the tests mentioned is a good first step in ruling more serious problems out. I understand Peats stance on the medical industry...but he paints a pretty dark picture of it as if its intended on doing harm and evil and that it doesnt help anyone. The medical industry might be messed up, and let people down from time to time, but its help and saved countless lives, so I would not disregard those things. Many problems the OP mentions are things that could possibly be treated by modern medicine, or by diet. If they did a colonscopy, they can rule out a lot of things...or maybe that can confirm a few things such as inflammation etc.

4peatssake

It is necessary for our survival to speak the truth, regardless of the picture being painted.

Ray Peat paints a stark and revealing portrait of the current culture but at the same time he provides a new and exciting landscape for those courageous enough to throw off the chains of authority and venture down the by-pass.

What road we take is up to each of us.

mandance

Hey, im with you. But im still willing to utilize the evil giants tools if I see use in them.

J

j.

If you stop Peating, you could still do the part about avoiding PUFAs. When I did only that was actually when I experienced my biggest improvement. Adding other things made me feel even better, but the difference wasn't as significant as when I just avoided PUFAs.

I think coconut oil kills some parasites. Do you have a few spoons daily?

OP
J

jaakkima

Yes, I eat coconut oil all day long every day... I've liked it for a long time.

As for doctors, I am seeing them. There are long waits in between appointments. They throw tests at me a couple at a time typically. So far no abnormalities. The bureaucracy of it has kept it difficult for stretches of my life.

I read about things in order to try to interpret things myself. That way I can dialogue with the doc and tell them what I think instead of running the risk of their interpretations.

Mittir

jaakkima said:
Before, when I ate largely cooked vegetables and grains (I liked quinoa a lot) it wasn't so painful. I had bad issues but I was more functional by a huge margin. Whatever's in me makes it hard to drink oj and especially milk. I do ok with meat, and eggs are easy. Potatoes aren't too bad. Oddly, ice cream doesn't seem to be too bad - but I can only eat so much fat (including the pufa in it).

It is obvious to me that your problem lies in soluble fiber and prebiotics feeding bad bacteria.
RP has mentioned that people with damaged intestine wall have problem digesting
lactose and same is true for sucrose too. I think it is a huge misunderstanding of RP guidelines
to reduce everything to milk and oj. He recommends strained OJ because of pectin.
It is not possible to remove all the pectin from OJ unless you use pectinase.
http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/pectin-free-juice
You have to heal your intestine before you start milk.
If lactose is not digested up in the intestine it feeds bacteria.
It is very important to understand the basics of RP recommendation.
Idea is to avoid all the foods that feed bad bacteria.
Most vegetables are high in cellulose and RP thinks that is a safe fiber.
White rice is very low in soluble fiber and quinoa is low in soluble fiber too.
But quinoa is very high in saponin.
There are threads on Ray Peat's dietary guideline and safe fruit list
on the forum.

OP
J

jaakkima

Mittir said:
jaakkima said:
Before, when I ate largely cooked vegetables and grains (I liked quinoa a lot) it wasn't so painful. I had bad issues but I was more functional by a huge margin. Whatever's in me makes it hard to drink oj and especially milk. I do ok with meat, and eggs are easy. Potatoes aren't too bad. Oddly, ice cream doesn't seem to be too bad - but I can only eat so much fat (including the pufa in it).

It is obvious to me that your problem lies in soluble fiber and prebiotics feeding bad bacteria.
RP has mentioned that people with damaged intestine wall have problem digesting
lactose and same is true for sucrose too. I think it is a huge misunderstanding of RP guidelines
to reduce everything to milk and oj. He recommends strained OJ because of pectin.
It is not possible to remove all the pectin from OJ unless you use pectinase.
http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/pectin-free-juice
You have to heal your intestine before you start milk.
If lactose is not digested up in the intestine it feeds bacteria.
It is very important to understand the basics of RP recommendation.
Idea is to avoid all the foods that feed bad bacteria.
Most vegetables are high in cellulose and RP thinks that is a safe fiber.
White rice is very low in soluble fiber and quinoa is low in soluble fiber too.
But quinoa is very high in saponin.
There are threads on Ray Peat's dietary guideline and safe fruit list
on the forum.

If this were the problem, how would I heal the gut? I have gone periods doing what I think would be sensible for this problem.
Do you think Uncle Matt's pulp free oj should be ok for that issue?

One thing the doctor said to me is that my stool had "no bacteria" in it, which to her was very odd. I'm not sure if she meant only no good bacteria, or no good OR bad bacteria.

kiran

jaakkima said:
One thing the doctor said to me is that my stool had "no bacteria" in it, which to her was very odd. I'm not sure if she meant only no good bacteria, or no good OR bad bacteria.

I doubt she can tell the difference, so neither would be my guess. Or possibly missing a specific bacteria, if that's what you were talking about. See if you can get a copy of the test results.