'Thinking' As The Main Source Of Bad Health?

Hi all

I've often observed that many people can eat like sh*t but stay very healthy with a positive outlook on life, laid back attitude, and comfortable social standing.

I've never, however, seen someone who epitomises the perfect Peat lifestyle with zero PUFA, ripe fruit all day long, adequate minerals etc. who maintains great health despite a poor social development, anxiety, repressed emotions etc.

How much do you think how we think and perceive the world contributes to our health, or could possibly? 10%? 100%?

OP
T
Do you not think there's any interplay going on? Just knowing there's someone with a knife outside the door is enough to make your heart race. Surely a lifelong feeling of inadequacy from childhood experience is enough to change hormonal balance?
I think your health dictates how you see the world.

milk

I was a fit teen. I ate at will. Never dieted.

I became very neurotic in my late teens and put on a good deal of weight in that period.

Mufasa

Yes, I think so. I think spending less time in your head and more time with the actual world helps a lot.

Quite hard if you have a full time programming job, but trying :)

FredSonoma

I personally think it's the other way around lol. I don't think you can control your thinking tbh. Sounds like an authoritarian way to treat you brain :P

Drareg

Its hard to ssperate them,it becomes about context and finding where the issue may be slanted, as in perceptions/meanings or diet/lifestyle.
All meanings are influenced by the context you are within.

I think in the contemporary western world it's mainly people's "meanings" capatilist expectations are not entirely coherent with nature,most ignore nature and only see human individuality,some go to the opposite end of the spectrum and live in nature which is extreme imo. Nature pushes back against anything wanting to exhaust its resources it seems.

cyclops

I've never, however, seen someone who epitomises the perfect Peat lifestyle with zero PUFA, ripe fruit all day long, adequate minerals etc. who maintains great health despite a poor social development, anxiety, repressed emotions etc.

How many followers of a perfect Peat diet have you seen in real life?

Constatine

It works both ways. Life experience can influence your health and your health can influence your life experience.

I've often observed that many people can eat like sh*t but stay very healthy with a positive outlook on life, laid back attitude, and comfortable social standing.

Just because you can go in public and see jolly people doesn't mean everyone is healthy. You don't really know what someone is doing when you're not looking at them. You don't know what they eat daily despite what they say. They can be on meds you don't know about. Most people are fat, sick and miserable, and if not all three then either one or two of those. Most people drink alcohol very often and tell me I'm weird for not drinking. Many people also use nicotine to get some dopamine because they're bored and/or depressed. Many people are depressed and on meds for it. Many are also on HBP meds. Heart disease and cancer are killing millions. There's nothing wrong with being fat, sick and miserable. People are free to be it. I don't care, I'm not trying to control anyone and I know some people who are fat, sick and miserable whom I like very much. It doesn't make them bad people. I'm just making it clear that when we are talking about the subject of health, few people are really healthy in the true sense of the word. Being healthy is boring. Going to bed early is boring. Not eating for pleasure is boring. It's a constant battle for the person who's into healthy living but is stuck in the pleasure trap and is around people who don't support what they are doing to be healthy because people know that the healthy person is doing something good but they want to bring them down because they know that they lack the willpower to live healthy.

How much do you think how we think and perceive the world contributes to our health, or could possibly? 10%? 100%?

Of course that is a part of health but it's not just thoughts themselves. There is still a physical effect from diet, sleep and exercise.

Last edited:

Xisca

I've never, however, seen someone who epitomises the perfect Peat lifestyle with zero PUFA, ripe fruit all day long, adequate minerals etc. who maintains great health
Why would they make such efforts if they are ok?
If you have been healthy and eating bad, and then it changed, maybe it motivated you to some new priority in your life....
I am lucky, I have issues since birth, so I have been searching for long!
And before Internet, veeeery difficult.

Searching and using intellect is for me not exactly being in your head. It is just being human.
BUT, and I make a difference, "being in your head" starts IMO when the head discuss with emotions and look for a "why?" having to do with anger, injustice, fear, rebellion...

Nethertheless, I would not react by distraction and look outside. I would remember that my head is part of my body, and that I have more than a head I can listen!

I have read many people here who are very good at this: they are able to notive the slight differences when using such or such supplement. They are tracking their sensations by the felt-sense, and this is a very good track.

Xisca

Being healthy is boring. Going to bed early is boring. Not eating for pleasure is boring. It's a constant battle for the person who's into healthy living but is stuck in the pleasure trap and is around people who don't support what they are doing to be healthy
I make my best and manage to live without boredom and with pleasure. I take great care to visit my neighbour who has MCS and ES, as almost nobody makes the effort to relate to her. I learn a lot, I tell her what I find, as she cannot stand electricity and wifi is worse.
But I lack social support this is true, and I had to deal with this issue, and find personal way of looking at it, so that I am ok with it.
THIS is the less healthy part of my life, and many people do not want to go into healthy living unless they have a full team with them! Social bonding is so important for many people, that would sacrifice the rest. I remember an example in my anthropology study, showing that in comunities that are a minority, they need so much that support, that a woman would not even tell her husband about HIV and would not even take the drugs she was prescribed, because she would have been excluded.

J

James IV

Do you not think there's any interplay going on? Just knowing there's someone with a knife outside the door is enough to make your heart race. Surely a lifelong feeling of inadequacy from childhood experience is enough to change hormonal balance?

Guess the question is, is the feeling of inadequacy making you unhealthy, or is poor health making you feel inadequate? Why can many people experience very similar environments and events, and yet be effected very differently? Why do some people allow themselves to continually be in detrimental situations, while others recognize and react? I do believe health is a large factor in these situations.

Constatine

Guess the question is, is the feeling of inadequacy making you unhealthy, or is poor health making you feel inadequate? Why can many people experience very similar environments and events, and yet be effected very differently? Why do some people allow themselves to continually be in detrimental situations, while others recognize and react? I do believe health is a large factor in these situations.
Very true. I've known healthy people that genuinely bounce back after terrible events like the death of a family member and I've known less than healthy people getting in bad depressions over trivial matters.

Fractality

Cultural expectations are HUGE. I know that when I have transgressed certain familial/cultural expectations I have felt lasting negative health (mainly psychological) effects. It is remarkable how other people's (especially close friends/family) perspectives/opinions related to ourselves can influence our well-being. Living a healthy lifestyle helps, but it is not a perfect solution. That is why I think it is important to practice mindfulness to maintain sanity.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals