Thinking About Trying Rhodiola

moss

I have taken adaptogens numerous times for a short stint, usually after a particularly stressful period and when food and other lifestyle modifications were not cutting it and taken for around 2-6 weeks and no longer.
Immediately the fire has been reignited, I feel sharper, improved concentration, stamina returns and I can remember why the hell I walked into the room to get something and not have to retrace steps!
I find best taken at the beginning of the day and I moderate caffeine during this time and a warning it may be wise not to take adaptogens in tandem with a high dose caffeine experiment for instance....
As ever, dose is always specific to individual needs, a little can be extremely stimulating for some and sedating for others, experiment and you will know one way or another quickly.

I agree with Whit, liquid form is more effective. I use the Fluid extracts because they are the most concentrated of all herbal preparations and I have access to them and personally find liquids easier to take. I am a little leery of mixed preparations/capsules and powders unless I have a COA and I know the company has a worthy reputation and based on my own personal trials and experience. The variation in phytochemical constituents particularly in Rhodiola and other phytomedicines is of concern. It is important to me where the herb has originated from, how it was grown and where it is manufactured same goes for the food I buy. I vote with my wallet for quality and within the budget I can afford.

If you try and you are not getting any results it may be worthwhile to consider the following,

The authenticity and quality of Rhodiola rosea products

“In this study, the characteristic marker compound (rosavin) was not detected in
23% of unregistered products that claimed to contain R. rosea
(see Table 1). Two of these products were adulterated with material not from the genus
Rhodiola i.e. that did not contain either rosavin or salidroside and one of these was positively identified as 5-hydroxytryptophan, an amino acid commonly used as an antidepressant or an aid for weight loss. It is unclear whether this is a de-
liberate or accidental adulteration since attempts to clarify this with the companies involved have been unsuccessful. However, whether deliberate or not, these findings.”

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21901061
The adaptogens rhodiola and schizandra modify the response to immobilization stress in rabbits by suppressing the increase of phosphorylated stress-activated protein kinase, nitric oxide and cortisol.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19016404
It is concluded that repeated administration of R. ROSEA extract SHR-5 exerts an anti- fatigue effect that increases mental performance, particularly the ability to concentrate, and decreases cortisol response to awakening stress in burnout patients with fatigue syndrome.

Last edited:

whit

Thanks for the info Moss;)
I have taken adaptogens numerous times for a short stint, usually after a particularly stressful period and when food and other lifestyle modifications were not cutting it and taken for around 2-6 weeks and no longer.
Immediately the fire has been reignited, I feel sharper, improved concentration, stamina returns and I can remember why the hell I walked into the room to get something and not have to retrace steps!
I find best taken at the beginning of the day and I moderate caffeine during this time and a warning it may be wise not to take adaptogens in tandem with a high dose caffeine experiment for instance....
As ever, dose is always specific to individual needs, a little can be extremely stimulating for some and sedating for others, experiment and you will know one way or another quickly.

I agree with Whit, liquid form is more effective. I use the Fluid extracts because they are the most concentrated of all herbal preparations and I have access to them and personally find liquids easier to take. I am a little leery of mixed preparations/capsules and powders unless I have a COA and I know the company has a worthy reputation and based on my own personal trials and experience. The variation in phytochemical constituents particularly in Rhodiola and other phytomedicines is of concern. It is important to me where the herb has originated from, how it was grown and where it is manufactured same goes for the food I buy. I vote with my wallet for quality and within the budget I can afford.

If you try and you are not getting any results it may be worthwhile to consider the following,

“In this study, the characteristic marker compound (rosavin) was not detected in
(see Table 1). Two of these products were adulterated with material not from the genus
Rhodiola i.e. that did not contain either rosavin or salidroside and one of these was positively identified as 5-hydroxytryptophan, an amino acid commonly used as an antidepressant or an aid for weight loss. It is unclear whether this is a de-
liberate or accidental adulteration since attempts to clarify this with the companies involved have been unsuccessful. However, whether deliberate or not, these findings.”

The adaptogens rhodiola and schizandra modify the response to immobilization stress in rabbits by suppressing the increase of phosphorylated stress-activated protein kinase, nitric oxide and cortisol.

It is concluded that repeated administration of R. ROSEA extract SHR-5 exerts an anti- fatigue effect that increases mental performance, particularly the ability to concentrate, and decreases cortisol response to awakening stress in burnout patients with fatigue syndrome.
The reference to 5-htp is a little scary too considering it's a precursor to serotonin. That doesn't belong in there at all. Not good.:wtf:

moss

Thanks for the info Moss;)

The reference to 5-htp is a little scary too considering it's a precursor to serotonin. That doesn't belong in there at all. Not good.:wtf:

If this helps in any way, I think reducing a herb to one potential action gets a little murky. One has to consider the herb in its entirety and overall benefits, we are not dealing with an isolate here and it is with a view of short term use.

whit

I believe your right about reduction. There are certain things that need to be excluded through simple processes of refinement like filtration or concentration. However other things get put into the mix along the way. It's good to know the source if possible.
Most extracts need only be used short term or cycled.

Ismail

Did they ever mention in “table 1” what other products they were trying? (ie brand names)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals