Thiamine (Vitamin B1) And Fatigue In Inflammatory Bowel Diseases

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Results: Ten patients out of twelve showed complete regression of fatigue, while the remaining two patients showed nearly complete regression of fatigue compared to the chronic fatigue syndrome scale scores before therapy.

Conclusions: The absence of blood thiamine deficiency and the efficacy of high-dose thiamine in our patients suggest that fatigue is the manifestation of a thiamine deficiency, likely due to a dysfunction of the active transport of thiamine inside the cells, or due to structural enzymatic abnormalities. The administration of large quantities of thiamine increases the concentration in the blood to levels in which the passive transport restores the normal glucose metabolism in all cells and leads to a complete regression of fatigue.

More at link: Thiamine and fatigue in inflammatory bowel diseases: an open-label pilot study - PubMed

Maljam

"Depending upon the body weight of each patient, dosage ranged from 600 mg/day (60 kg) to 1,500 mg/day (90 kg)."

Just adding this part in case the study ever disappears for some reason!

S-VV

I think it's becoming more clear that very high dose thiamine (even the plain HCl) has powerful effects on the CNS

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
"Depending upon the body weight of each patient, dosage ranged from 600 mg/day (60 kg) to 1,500 mg/day (90 kg)."

Just adding this part in case the study ever disappears for some reason!
Good call!

Another important part is blood Thiamine levels can test normal while still having a deficiency. Even people with Wieneke's Encephalitis can show normal blood levels of Thiamine. Simply put, the typical Thiamine blood tests to look for deficiency is almost useless.

"Fatigue was measured using the chronic fatigue syndrome scale, and the determination of thiamine and thiamine pyrophosphate levels in the blood was carried out through blood tests. The levels of thiamine and thiamine pyrophosphate in the blood were normal."

Recoen

Good call!

Another important part is blood Thiamine levels can test normal while still having a deficiency. Even people with Wieneke's Encephalitis can show normal blood levels of Thiamine. Simply put, the typical Thiamine blood tests to look for deficiency is almost useless.

"Fatigue was measured using the chronic fatigue syndrome scale, and the determination of thiamine and thiamine pyrophosphate levels in the blood was carried out through blood tests. The levels of thiamine and thiamine pyrophosphate in the blood were normal."
Exactly, even transketolase has problems. The OAT can be beneficial but I really think most should try some B1 - low and slow because of refeeding syndrome. And I would try HCl, ttfd, and benfo.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Lokzo This B-Vitamin Can Raise Dopamine (Thiamine tetrahydrofurfuryl disulfide - TTFD) Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 58
charlie Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) Deficiency: The "Great Imitator" Of Other Illnesses B1 209
Inaut Dr. Chandler Marrs On Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) - Mitochondria's Gateway To Energy B1 23
haidut A Subset Of Diabetes I Can Be Cured By Vitamin B1 (thiamine) Scientific Studies 12
ShirtTieFitness Peas: The Thiamine And Vitamin K Powerhouse Starches, Fiber, Legumes 17
haidut Majority Of Cancer Patients Have Vitamin B1 (thiamine) Deficiency Cancer 4
haidut Deficiency Of Vitamin B1 (thiamine) Can Cause The Cancer Metabolism Scientific Studies 10
haidut Vitamin B1 (thiamine) And Testosterone Can Cure Liver Cirrhosis Scientific Studies 27
natedawggh Cilantro Neutralizes Vitamin B1 (thiamine) Caused Body Odor Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 10
A Using white sugar to hit my carbs/ Thiamine supplementation? Diet 0
charlie An Open-Label Pilot Study With High-Dose Thiamine in Parkinson's Disease Scientific Studies 5
M Thiamine and Co-Factors B1 81
charlie Thiamine status in patients receiving long-term home parenteral nutrition Scientific Studies 1
J Alcohol's effect on Thiamine (B1) Ask For Help or Advice 14
Nehring In Vivo Evidence For The Anticancer Effect Of Thiamine / Thoughts On TTFD B1 16
J The Best Form Of Thiamine (B1) Supplement B1 21
charlie Mild Thiamine Deficiency In Man Scientific Studies 23
Marcine Thiamine Info Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 1
A Can’t Sleep And Heart Is Beating Like Crazy After 2x500 Mg Thiamine Ask For Help or Advice 18
E Thiamine/diamox/baking Soda : How Health 2
J The Potential Of Thiamine To Help Treat COVID-19 CO2, Bag Breathing 6
Cloudhands Thiamine Type? Ask For Help or Advice 25
A The Minimum Amount Of Oral Thiamine HCL Required For Fixing Metabolism? Ask For Help or Advice 19
meatbag Be Careful When Buying Thiamine Supplements Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 6
zarrin77 Thiamine HCL May Increase Muscle Mass Scientific Studies 15
Victor Candeias Thiamine Disulfide As A Potent Inhibitor Of Human Immunodeficiency Virus (type-1) Production Scientific Studies 8
H Elevated Levels Of Thiamine(B1) And B6 Without Supplementation Cause? Blood Work, Labs 6
K B1 / Thiamine Causing Histamine Issues Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine 23
H Neurological, Psychiatric, And Biochemical Aspects Of Thiamine Deficiency In Children And Adults Digestion, Gut Flora 0
H Thiamine And Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: A Report Of Three Cases Digestion, Gut Flora 8
H Thiamine And Fatigue Digestion, Gut Flora 14
ddjd B1 Thiamine Powder Life Giving Store 19
milkboi Thiamine HCL Weight Ask For Help or Advice 2
ddjd Thiamine Deficiency Leads To Reduced Nitric Oxide Production Ask For Help or Advice 1
ddjd Alternative Forms Of Thiamine - Experiences? Ask For Help or Advice 19
tonto Concussion And Thiamine Deficiency Metabolism 23
R Taking Thiamine HCL B1 0
A Thiamine Reduces Breast Cancer Cell Proliferation In Tissue Culture Scientific Studies 12
M Thiamine And Hair Loss Hair & Nails 6
S Help Me With The Thiamine Dosage Please Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 2
S Who Got Benefits From Thiamine? I Have A Question Metabolism 27
Lokzo Please Suggest Reasons Why B1 (Thiamine) Does This To Me? Vitamins 24
AretnaP Thiamine Protects Blood-brain Barrier Against Nitric Oxide B1 0
haidut Thiamine Treats Cancer In Humans, Its Deficiency May Cause Cancer Scientific Studies 13
Broken man Please Help Me With My Thiamine Experiment Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 6
griesburner Thiamine (B1) Dangeroues If Low In Potassium? B1 12
allblues Thiamine Deficiency Increases Serotonin Synthesis, Inhibits Uptake Scientific Studies 3
Travis Bizarre Thiamine Reaction Mechanism From An Obscure 1970 PhD Thesis B1 5
JohnBonham Orange Juice And Thiamine Deficiency Vitamins 6
Amazoniac Thiamine: One Of The Main Limiting Factors For Proper Carbohydrate Metabolism B1 60