Thiamine Pyrophosphate (Benfotiamine)

managing

Experiences, thoughts, studies? I can't find RP addressing specifically. Pyrophosphate is key in osteblast activity, but not sure if it makes it to the bones intact?

Poppyseed13

Hello Managing--

I have been experimenting with benfotiamine for several months now.

I want to see if benfotiamine has any beneficial effects on my skin. Since I was quite young, I have hard skin on parts of my body.... I suspect some form of myxedema.

Thomas Hodge McGavack's book _The Thyroid_ helped me make some guesses about the causes of myxedema (hardening of the skin, etc.)

In brief: myxedema is associated with an excess of mucopolysaccharides, including _hyaluronic acid_ .... reading/research led me to:

Thiamine deficiency (among other things) results in lower levels of hyaluronidase ...Hyaluronidase is need to break down hyaluronic acid.

So, assuming that I might have a deficiency of thiamine (B-1) (the transketolase test is not something my doctor would help me with), I started taking a fairly large daily dose of regular B-1. And upon further research discovered that regular thiamine is hard for the body to absorb, so I looked for forms of thiamine that would be more bioavailable, and that led me to benfotiamine.

I started out with a low dose of benfotiamine (300 mg), and am now taking 900 mg/daily---3 doses spread throughout the day. I have noticed considerable improvement in my skin--the hardness is dissipating---slowly, but steadily. Additionally, I have noticed a great reduction in body stiffness/achiness--it seems to function as an anti-inflammatory (ibuprofen).

I will continue to take benfotiamine along with regular thiamine as I am hopeful of complete remission of the hard skin.

I use Doctor's Best Benfotiamine and Source Naturals High Potency B-1

Cheers,
Poppyseed13

so after reading/researching, I think there is a link between

OP
managing

managing

Has it ever given you a stiff, sore neck? Its really strange, every time I take it I can hardly turn my head and my neck aches. I am going to try half (125mg) and see if same.

Edit: MAN that stuff tastes foul! I opened a capsule and poured half in my mouth. Don't do that.

OP
managing

managing

No neck symptoms at all from 125mg. I'll try 250 again tomorrow.

johnwester130

they are not the same thing. the title is misleading

- Thiamine , thiamin pyrophosphate, Cocarboxylase , diphosphate

The bad synthetics are:

- Thiamine mononitrate, thiamine hydrochloride (hci), thiamin HCL, S-benzoylthiamine-O-monophosphate, benfotiamine