Thiamine Is A Potent Anti Viral

TubZy

Came across this as I was doing some more research on thiamine and liver health- pretty interesting. If someone can get the full study that would be awesome too. It is the disulfide form so not sure how the HCL form would compare maybe @haidut can do the translation?.

Just shows hows simple vitamin B1 and B2 can be strongly influential against infections.

Thiamine disulfide as a potent inhibitor of human immunodeficiency virus (type-1) production. - PubMed - NCBI

Thiamine disulfide (500 microM) blocked 99.7% of HIV-1 production after 96 hr culture in acute HIV-1 (LAV-1) infection (m.o.i. = 0.002), whereas it inhibited 90-98% of HIV-1 production in chronic-infected cells (CEM/LAV-1, H9/MN, and Molt-4/IIIB). The results suggest that thiamine disulfide may be important for AIDS chemotherapy.

aguilaroja

Lu'o'ng and Nguyên wrote a review about thiamine and HIV, including but not limited to the di-sulfide form. It’s more theoretical, mostly lacking clinical trials. But it provides good rationales. They also have written interesting thiamine reviews relating to Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and cancer.

For instance, correction of thiamine deficiency reduces angiotensin and hypertension:

“Thiamine attenuates hypertension and metabolic abnormalities in spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHRs). Thiamine repletion downregulates the expression of angiotensinogen ( 80%), ACE ( 77%), and angiotensin type 1 receptor ( 72%) mRNAs in SHRs. These observations suggest that thiamine affects ACE activity in HIV-infected patients.”
The role of thiamine in HIV infection. - PubMed - NCBI
http://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(12)01312-4/pdf

Salt, energy, metabolic rate, and longevity
“It has been known for many years that decreasing sodium intake causes the body to respond adaptively, increasing the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system (RAAS). The activation of this system is recognized as a factor in hypertension, kidney disease, heart failure, fibrosis of the heart, and other problems.”

TubZy

Lu'o'ng and Nguyên wrote a review about thiamine and HIV, including but not limited to the di-sulfide form. It’s more theoretical, mostly lacking clinical trials. But it provides good rationales. They also have written interesting thiamine reviews relating to Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and cancer.

For instance, correction of thiamine deficiency reduces angiotensin and hypertension:

“Thiamine attenuates hypertension and metabolic abnormalities in spontaneously hypertensive rats (SHRs). Thiamine repletion downregulates the expression of angiotensinogen ( 80%), ACE ( 77%), and angiotensin type 1 receptor ( 72%) mRNAs in SHRs. These observations suggest that thiamine affects ACE activity in HIV-infected patients.”
The role of thiamine in HIV infection. - PubMed - NCBI
http://www.ijidonline.com/article/S1201-9712(12)01312-4/pdf

Salt, energy, metabolic rate, and longevity
“It has been known for many years that decreasing sodium intake causes the body to respond adaptively, increasing the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system (RAAS). The activation of this system is recognized as a factor in hypertension, kidney disease, heart failure, fibrosis of the heart, and other problems.”

Interesting, thanks! Yeah, I have also seen the thiamine and Parkison thread on here as well. Truly an impressive substance for just a simple vitamin.

evanjones

Everybody's metabolism is different; I take a daily Benfotiamine capsule, a type of thiamine, but it has no effect on whether I can a cold or flu.

In my case, I need to take zinc gluconate, sublingually (held in the buccal pocket overnight) to beat a viral infection (or better, to prevent catching one). George Eby explains how zinc beats viral infections .

Maybe benfotiamine is not as good as straight thiamine?

TubZy

Everybody's metabolism is different; I take a daily Benfotiamine capsule, a type of thiamine, but it has no effect on whether I can a cold or flu.

In my case, I need to take zinc gluconate, sublingually (held in the buccal pocket overnight) to beat a viral infection (or better, to prevent catching one). George Eby explains how zinc beats viral infections .

Maybe benfotiamine is not as good as straight thiamine?

Do you use the LEF brand?