Thiamine For Hashimoto Disease

haidut

Forum Supporter
This is a continuation of the studies on thiamine I posted several weeks ago. It's from the same researchers, and in fact this one was sent to me by the lead scientist without me asking for it. I think they are excited to see some interest in their studies on thiamine. Hashimoto Disease seems to be a common diagnose in people with thyroid problems and is often confused with hypothyroidism. One of the main symptoms is a debilitating fatigue, and it seems that thiamine deficiency is what causes it. Similar to the studies I posted on MS, PD, AD, and Chron's oral doses of at least 600mg thiamine seem to achieve full remission. The study is attached for those interested in reading it.
http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10 ... .2012.0612

Attachments

• thiamine_hashimoto.pdf
    95.1 KB · Views: 310

narouz

Interesting, haidut.
I was just listening to a rather obscure Peat interview last week.
In it, in response, as I recall, to a question about high estrogen,
Peat noted that vitamins B1 and B2 are the most important
for helping the liver remove estrogen.

Actually--coming back to me now--
I believe the question was from someone with a pinched nerve.
Peat responded that most cases of pinched nerves he had seen
probably resulted from high estrogen--
the estrogen causing edema,
swelling the nerve sheath,
thus constricting the nerve.
Then he made the suggestion about B1 and B2.

*Just to connect: thiamin in B1 (I think : >)

Ben

I'll try some thiamine HCL and see how it works for me, since I have autoimmune thyroiditis.

Ben

A word of warning: Thiamine stinks horribly. Even the outside of the bag has the smell on it, which I got from Smart Powders. Since I have fatigue in the first place, it will require a lot of motivation for me to wash the bag or maybe change containers. I don't like it when my hands smell like something foreign, especially not thiamine or niacin. All it required was opening the package and I already smelled the thiamine, which immediately made me feel nauseous. RP said it's a good idea to test allergenicity of vitamins by placing them in the mouth. Indeed, that would make me have watery eyes, salivate...and puke.

On another note: Is the dosage 600 mg/day like in the study ideal, or would higher doses deliver even more benefits? This vitamin is really cheap.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Ben said:
Indeed, that would make me have watery eyes, salivate...and puke.
It's incredibly strong tasting. Like whoa. :shock:

Ben

I tried this dosage (600 mg/day). It hadn't helped my fatigue. I also started taking cynomel a few days ago in addition to what I was prescribed, and all I noticed was improved appetite, faster heart rate, and possibly more frequent bowel movements. It hadn't helped my fatigue either. I don't have a cortisol deficiency, in fact it's probably higher than average so that can't cause it. My hemoglobin/hematocrit/RBC is stably higher than normal. Rosacea, acne, and dandruff hadn't improved with cynomel or thiamine. I don't notice anything from aspirin. I get clinically significant depressive symptoms from caffeine. The only thing I suspect may cause fatigue is lower than normal total testosterone, but since my RBC count, etc is normal, maybe this isn't the problem. Anyway, posting a thread about testosterone.

juanitacarlos

I'm going to give this a go, but I will be taking 1800mg per day (as per the recommendations in the study). Will split that into 3 doses over the course of the day. I will try for a few weeks and see if there is any improvement in fatigue. Looks like taking a B vitamin complex is recommended as well. Will report back in a few weeks (or if something happens in between).

Ben

ttramone said:
I'm going to give this a go, but I will be taking 1800mg per day (as per the recommendations in the study). Will split that into 3 doses over the course of the day. I will try for a few weeks and see if there is any improvement in fatigue. Looks like taking a B vitamin complex is recommended as well. Will report back in a few weeks (or if something happens in between).
You have Hashimoto's, correct? I'm taking 600 mg/day like in the study, but I had no effects so far. What made you decide to take a dose 3x larger than in the study? Do you also have fatigue?

When it comes to my case, blood tests showed my thyroid hormones are normal, but I added 30 mcg T3 per day of cynomel in addition to what I was prescribed (15 mcg with 50 mcg levothyroxine) and I feel much better. More energy, more heat production, less anxiety. The speculation of the study author is that Hashimoto's involves B vitamin deficiency if the blood tests are normal, but for me this hasn't been the case.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I posted some other studies for thiamine and Alzheimer and PD. For Alzheimer, the dosage was in the range of 6,000-8,000 mg per day in divided doses. Then I posted another study comparing bioavailability and half life of different dosages of thiamine. That last study found that taking 1,500mg every 4 hours would maintain plasma concentration similar to the one that helped with Alzheimer. Finally, there was a study of thiamine for CFS and they did 1,500-1,800 mg daily.
So, 600mg is probably the minimum effective dosage I'd guess. Unfortunately, the studies on Hashimoto, MS, and Chron's were not dose-response studies, so we are left with experimentation again.

YuraCZ

Thiamine and Hashimoto's thyroiditis: a report of three cases.

Hashimotos is in 99% cases due to gluten as in my case. Plain and simple..

Philomath

Any notable changes??

narouz

Thought I'd bump this thread--shake the tree a little
about B-1 and Hashi's....

I posted some other studies for thiamine and Alzheimer and PD. For Alzheimer, the dosage was in the range of 6,000-8,000 mg per day in divided doses. Then I posted another study comparing bioavailability and half life of different dosages of thiamine. That last study found that taking 1,500mg every 4 hours would maintain plasma concentration similar to the one that helped with Alzheimer. Finally, there was a study of thiamine for CFS and they did 1,500-1,800 mg daily.
So, 600mg is probably the minimum effective dosage I'd guess. Unfortunately, the studies on Hashimoto, MS, and Chron's were not dose-response studies, so we are left with experimentation again.
where's the study for CFS? I remember finding one for fatigue associated with fibro and extrapolating it may be useful from that but i'd be very curious for sure, to see one specifically in CFS. Fibro and cfs are often comorbid but not always, and are distinct

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
where's the study for CFS? I remember finding one for fatigue associated with fibro and extrapolating it may be useful from that but i'd be very curious for sure, to see one specifically in CFS. Fibro and cfs are often comorbid but not always, and are distinct

Here are some and there are older ones from the 1980s that I have to dig for but they are out there.
Cheap, Effective Relief From Fibromyalgia (and ME/CFS) Found? Early Reports Spark Interest in Little Used Supplement - Health Rising
The High-Dose B-1 (Thiamine) Survey for Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) - Health Rising
High-dose thiamine improves the symptoms of fibromyalgia. - PubMed - NCBI
Thiamine and fatigue in inflammatory bowel diseases: an open-label pilot study. - PubMed - NCBI