Thiamine (B1) may reduce PUFA content in cells

haidut

Forum Supporter
The study was not on human cells, but it quotes several other studies showing similar effects so it would be interesting to dig more into this. Thiamine also reduced total lipid content, not just PUFA levels, which could be an added benefit.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/856287

"...The lipid composition of Saccharomyces carlsbergensis 4228 cells grown aerobically in the presence of thiamine and absence of pyridoxine was markedly different from that of cells grown without addition of both of the growth factors. In addition to the previous observations showing a reduction in the levels of unsaturated fatty acids (Nishikawa, Y., Nakamura, I., Kamihara, T. and Fukui, S. (1974) Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 59, 777-780) and lack of zymosterol and ergosterol (Nagai, J., Katsuki, H., Nishikawa, Y., Nakamura, I., Kamihara, T. and Fukui, S. (1974) Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 60, 555-560), the thiamine-grown cells were found to contain low levels of total lipids, sterols (especially in the form of esters), triacylglycerols and total phospholipids."

BigPapaChakra

This is in line with Dr. Peat's thoughts. I posted the quote in some google doc that was set up via the Ray Peat facebook groups, but I asked Dr. Peat longggg ago about "PUFA detox", and he said that calcium and thiamine could aid in their excretion from tissues.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals