There's Goes Another!

OP
N

Nstocks

For the oral hygiene, I'm thinking crest toothpaste and Ultradex (Closys) as suggested by Dr Ellie.

For those that use Dr Ellie protocol, are these products worthwhile?

InChristAlone

For the oral hygiene, I'm thinking crest toothpaste and Ultradex (Closys) as suggested by Dr Ellie.

I still use the crest, but stopped using the closys because I think it's just expensive glorified bleach. I use ozonated water I make myself before using my waterpik or drops of lugol's iodine in it too.

sweetpeat

I think it's possible to do a modified version of her protocol with good results. It's worked for me, and I don't use the Closys. I think I remember reading somewhere (maybe someone else will remember) that many of her patients had good results just using the Crest toothpaste twice daily without any of the rinses. I do use the Listerine and ACT fluoride rinse (in addition to brushing) just to be on the safe side. I had gumline cavities that healed with this protocol.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying the Closys isn't worthwhile. I don't know. Just saying it's possible to get good results without using all the products.

OP
N

Nstocks

I think it's possible to do a modified version of her protocol with good results. It's worked for me, and I don't use the Closys. I think I remember reading somewhere (maybe someone else will remember) that many of her patients had good results just using the Crest toothpaste twice daily without any of the rinses. I do use the Listerine and ACT fluoride rinse (in addition to brushing) just to be on the safe side. I had gumline cavities that healed with this protocol.

Just to be clear: I'm not saying the Closys isn't worthwhile. I don't know. Just saying it's possible to get good results without using all the products.

I've never got on with Listerine and ACT isn't available in the UK (although I'm sure there is a equivalent).

sladerunner69

Because what else do I eat? ! Avoid all grains except rice cakes, all dairy except when I add butter and limited muscle meat. Protein comes from white fish, chicken and beef which gives me at least 90g per day. For my own sanity I cannot consume vast amount of processed packaged foods because it drags me down compared to eating fresh, alive food.

I agree, avoiding fluoride is not helping me.

So no dairy? Has it occurred to you that perhaps consuming diary could help prevent tooth decay?

sladerunner69

Yeah, that's probably the problem honestly.

A young male needs AT LEAST 3000-3500 calories a day, easily 4000 or even more if active at all.

Assuming 200g carbs, 90g protein, and let's say 30g fat, puts you at like 1500 calories. WAY too low. Need *at least* twice that, and possibly more. 90g protein is sufficient if sedentary, and in the context of sufficient overall calories. However on a low calorie diet, that low protein intake is probably catabolized for glucose.

I'm fat, so I know my numbers aren't necessarily the optimal comparison point, but I eat 900-1,000 grams of carbs a day. I would literally die on only 200 a day lol.

Vitamin supplements are literally useless in the absence of sufficient calories.

How fat are you?

OP
N

Nstocks

So no dairy? Has it occurred to you that perhaps consuming diary could help prevent tooth decay?

I did 3 years of raw goat milk (and sometimes cow) milk drinking a pint per day almost. It had no effect on dental health at all and led to other issues with digestion.

For the A, D, E and K I'm not sure what milk offers but I'm not totally against goat milk if it can meet some of the above nutritional requirements.

Kelj

How fat are you?

Dear Therapist: Your Client Has an Eating Disorder.

"fat phobia is a dominant filter today (because we are a fat-hating society), whereas a desire for religious purity was a dominant filter for eating disorders 300 years ago. 6"

"Be hyper-aware of your own fattist and healthist attitudes. 18 You cannot resonate on any level with their anxieties of extreme hunger, greed, slothfulness, self-loathing, thin privilege, etc. And if you cannot neutralize those biases, then avoid working with any client with an eating disorder."

"Don’t apply target weights to a recovery process. While this may be very obvious to you, it bears repeating that an eating disorder is not a weight disorder. Your client must practice unrestricted eating every day for life. The body finds its own way to an optimal weight set point."

"To reiterate, someone BMI 37 can be facing as severe an energy deficit due to an eating disorder as someone BMI 17. Weight does not correlate to health status."

"Fat is not a storage unit; it’s an exceedingly complex hormone-producing organ in our bodies. The body has two methods of staying alive when we diet and generate energy deficits in our body: catabolism (destruction of all cells (not just fat cells) to release energy), and metabolic suppression (shut down of entire systems in the body to lower the demand for energy). The more efficient the metabolic clamping (which varies from one individual to the next) the more likely the body’s mass can even increase despite calorie restriction. Metabolic suppression is as damaging as catabolism"

I Need How Many Calories?!!

2500-3500 Calories A Day. Yes Really.

• The woman at BMI 30 diets down to BMI 23. Technically she is still in the healthy weight range and she receives compliments on her dieting efforts.
  • The woman at BMI 23 diets down to BMI 17. People are very worried.
Which one has an active eating disorder? They both do.

Here are the guidelines for when 3500 calories applies as a MINIMUM daily intake for recovery:
You are an under 25 year old male between 5’4” and 6’0” (162.5 and 183 cm) or female with young children or an equivalent and unavoidable level of activity.

The regular menstrual cycle has stopped and/or,

You have other symptoms of starvation: feeling the cold, fatigued, foggy headed, hair loss, brittle nails, dull skin and/or,

Even if you were only underweight/dieted for a very short space of time (a few months), these guidelines apply.

Fattism is never helpful. One can expect to have physical problems, teeth included, when one doesn't meet or exceed the minimum calories that healthy people eat.

Sheik

recovering from an eating disorder typically comes with enamel erosion before it gets better.
Could you point me to some more information about this? I haven't found anything but I've suspected that that is the case.

Waynish

Ive not thought about it before but after epsom salt baths my teeth usually feel stronger and it also helps with back pains.

Well there you go. Start taking epsom salt baths 3x a week (can do foot baths while you're working, for example). And make smaller adjustments to other things that affect calcium metabolism. Get more direct sunlight on your skin. This is pretty common.

Kelj

Could you point me to some more information about this? I haven't found anything but I've suspected that that is the case.

Is this symptom (see list below) to be expected during recovery

Time and Scope: Recovery Is Tough

" re-feeding: hypoglycemia, pre-diabetes, high cholesterol, hypothyroidism and Hashimoto’s, osteopenia and osteoporosis, acid reflux, dental enamel erosion, infertility, reproductive hormone inadequacies, depression, memory and retention degeneration, gastroparesis, Barrett’s esophagus, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, liver enzyme anomalies, kidney function anomalies, anemia, leukopenia…"

Pain II: Acid Reflux in Recovery

Acid reflux is a common symptom which contributes to enamel erosion until it resolves through refeeding.

OP
N

Nstocks

I've just come back from the dentist and was told that the tooth has decayed a lot and may need pulling. That's three extractions in 18 months! Part of me feels like this tooth should have bad a replacement filling last year (it's 12 years old).

It's so upsetting. I'm 28 and have lost 3 teeth. Perhaps anti-fluoride for 5 years was a terrible idea and now I'm paying for it.

Next stage, diet! I may look at adding back milk... either whole lactose free cow milk or (expensive) raw goat milk from mostly grass fed goats as a supplement for fat soluble vitamins

Last edited:
OP
N

Nstocks

Has anyone come across, or used nano-hydroxyapatite toothpaste?

Apparently it's better than fluoride at remineralising teeth:

"Considering users state it makes their teeth feel stronger, what research can back-up these claims? A research study published June 2011 in the Journal of Dentistryfound “toothpaste(s) containing Nano-HAp revealed higher remineralizing effects compared to amine fluoride toothpastes”.3 This is backed by a study conducted 2016 published in the Indian Orthopedic Society Journal investigating remineralization of nano-hydroxyapatite toothpaste versus conventional fluoride toothpaste finding “Nano-HAp toothpaste (Aclaim and Apagard) on daily application will provide maximum protection against enamel demineralization in orthodontic patients when compared to fluoride toothpaste (Colgate Total)”.4"

Nano-Hydroxyapatite: Is It Safe for Your Family? - Eagle Harbor Dentist

Blossom

Forum Supporter

"Considering users state it makes their teeth feel stronger, what research can back-up these claims? A research study published June 2011 in the Journal of Dentistryfound “toothpaste(s) containing Nano-HAp revealed higher remineralizing effects compared to amine fluoride toothpastes”.3 This is backed by a study conducted 2016 published in the Indian Orthopedic Society Journal investigating remineralization of nano-hydroxyapatite toothpaste versus conventional fluoride toothpaste finding “Nano-HAp toothpaste (Aclaim and Apagard) on daily application will provide maximum protection against enamel demineralization in orthodontic patients when compared to fluoride toothpaste (Colgate Total)”.4"

I used it but only one tube. Dr. Ellie’s program seems more effective for me personally.
Edit: the toothpaste I used had novamin so maybe it’s different.

Repas du soir

My advice would be to brush your teeth with normal toothpaste every morning and every evening. Also you need to use dental floss. Buy a pack of dental picks, they make flossing so much easier. I also like to rinse my mouth with water whenever I am near a sink. My teeth are pretty nice, I'd say. I'm 24 and I've only had one cavity, which was before I discovered Peat. The cavity happened when I tried intermittent fasting for the first time, and I was under a lot of stress.

Not-easy-slide-plastic-handle-disposable-floss.jpg_350x350.jpg

Sheik

One possible downside is that fluoride is supposed to make teeth more acid resistant than n-Ha. I don't know what that means in the grand scheme of things, considering fluoride makes bones brittle and is anti-thyroid. At least n-Ha is a material that teeth are made of to begin with.

I wish there was a n-Ha + xylitol rinse because I would use that several times a day. I wonder if that's something @haidut would be interested in looking into.

OP
N

Nstocks

I'm due to have another extraction in October, making it 3 teeth in the space of 2 years (very depressing,I'm 28).

This means I have three teeth missing all on the same side, with two at the bottom and one at the top. I can already feel my speech and eating starting to deteriorate as the temporary filling begins to fall out.

For options of replacing at least one of the teeth, I'm guessing my dentist will suggest an implant (titanium). How worried should I be about auto immune issues, considering I already have some auto immune things going on?

RealNeat

I'm just not convinced it's about nourishment only. I studied WAPF stuff for years. My younger son was a product of that study and his teeth decayed as fast as they came in. Excess vitamin A could be a factor. Or maybe the acids in his diet, but my older son had acids as well maybe not as many but he definitely did and still does and his teeth are much stronger. We don't brush or floss them until they get pretty dirty. But not going to the dentist for the younger one cost us 3k in dental work. I am convinced if you have the mutant bacteria in your mouth either you ave to get rid of it or you will suffer. For some maybe the change in diet is enough to squelch it, for others, it's going to be much much harder. I also think WAPF kids are getting far too much retinol in comparison to the other fat solubles.
what is it exactly that you think the dentist can do for you one every 6 months thats so important?

I'm gonna be honest, I brush my teeth mostly once per day now that I work from home (normally twice), I literally NEVER floss. Use fluoride-free toothpaste for years... Used to use Waterpik before but even got bored of that. My vitamin D levels have been all over the place, as has my Vitamin K2 intake.

TSH as high as 8, as low as 1.9, now around 3... Throughout all of that, despite all of those factors, NEVER had a cavity, or any other serious tooth issue, still have all my teeth, well whatever grew throughout puberty anyway. Occasional tooth sensitivity from sweet/cold stuff on one upper wisdom tooth, but even that one is in good shape.

I am 28 now, so all in all, I think it doesn't have much to do with any of these things to be honest. Perhaps I'm just lucky with good bacterial flora in the mouth, or, *gasp* good teeth genetics (whatever that means). Some people I know do everything by the book, take far better care of their teeth than I do, go to regular dentist appointments (honestly don't remember the last time I went, maybe just light cleaning about 3-4 years ago) and yet they have non-stop problems with their teeth.

So, I'm not sure how much you can really do about this. It would stand to reason that eliminating bad bacteria in your mouth would be #1, but I don't know a good way to do that and keep it so. Perhaps a daily saline rinse would keep it in check, but now I feel like one of those people who don't have hair loss, giving advice to balding people on how to keep their hair, so I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals