Theory on Metabolism, regarding various training methods

A

Adf

We have all been told that our bodies adapt to the stimulus we put on it right? Well here's some food for thought on that subject.

Take weight lifting for example. After doing the bench press, your body will adapt in various ways, in order to make your chest stronger, making you more efficient at pressing that weight. The mechanism of adaption is primarily to enhance your muscular strength and endurance. You're lying on a bench, so the only adaptations required is enhanced strength of your muscles.

When you jog/run, your body wants to become more efficient at it, one big adaptation to achieve this is fat/weight loss. The leaner and lighter you become, the more efficient you are at jogging/running. This is especially the case with sprinting, fat loss drastically increases when sprinting.

Is this concept also true for resistance training?

Lets say you never bench press but instead do dips, your body has more ways it can adapt. Your body wants to be more efficient at doing dips, so it can adapt by enhancing the strength of your muscles. It can also adapt by shedding excess body weight. This can also be applied to lat pulldowns vs chin-ups/pull-ups.

Why are people who primarily do calisthenics always so lean?

I have thought about this for many years and I've tested it on myself. My body likes to hold onto fat in general and I really struggle to lose fat if I'm just doing exercises like the Bench press, that keeps my body in a stable and locked position. When I incorporate more dynamic movements like pushup, dips, pull-ups, squats etc it becomes much easier to lose weight.

You can argue that those exercises incorporates more muscles and thus uses more calories and yes that is true, but that doesn't inherently disprove my theory at all.

The number 1 exercise for fat loss for myself, greater than walking, running, sprinting, cycling etc is Burpees. Done HIIT style with strict sets and strict reps. I can feel that it is the most demanding cardio exercise for my body and so it absolutely HAS to shed body weight quick in order to be more efficient at it next time.

Have you noticed this as well?

Eberhardt

We have all been told that our bodies adapt to the stimulus we put on it right? Well here's some food for thought on that subject.

Take weight lifting for example. After doing the bench press, your body will adapt in various ways, in order to make your chest stronger, making you more efficient at pressing that weight. The mechanism of adaption is primarily to enhance your muscular strength and endurance. You're lying on a bench, so the only adaptations required is enhanced strength of your muscles.

When you jog/run, your body wants to become more efficient at it, one big adaptation to achieve this is fat/weight loss. The leaner and lighter you become, the more efficient you are at jogging/running. This is especially the case with sprinting, fat loss drastically increases when sprinting.

Is this concept also true for resistance training?

Lets say you never bench press but instead do dips, your body has more ways it can adapt. Your body wants to be more efficient at doing dips, so it can adapt by enhancing the strength of your muscles. It can also adapt by shedding excess body weight. This can also be applied to lat pulldowns vs chin-ups/pull-ups.

Why are people who primarily do calisthenics always so lean?

I have thought about this for many years and I've tested it on myself. My body likes to hold onto fat in general and I really struggle to lose fat if I'm just doing exercises like the Bench press, that keeps my body in a stable and locked position. When I incorporate more dynamic movements like pushup, dips, pull-ups, squats etc it becomes much easier to lose weight.

You can argue that those exercises incorporates more muscles and thus uses more calories and yes that is true, but that doesn't inherently disprove my theory at all.

The number 1 exercise for fat loss for myself, greater than walking, running, sprinting, cycling etc is Burpees. Done HIIT style with strict sets and strict reps. I can feel that it is the most demanding cardio exercise for my body and so it absolutely HAS to shed body weight quick in order to be more efficient at it next time.

Have you noticed this as well?
I sort of understand your idea, but neither does running make you thin or calisthenics make u lean. Its just that you will probably suck at calisthenics if youbare fat and then dont make youtube videos. Though to take a ridicolous example Kyriakos Grizzly does 10 pullups at over 200kg bodyweight or take Bud Jeffrey(r.i.p) doing cartwheels and hamdstandpushups at at least 180kg or more. Personally, long distance running was the only wayvI ever was able to put in weight. It just depends on hormones. If you use a lot of calories your body burns it off. There are bodybuilders into HIT doing nothing but weights and no cardio (and not too much drugs) sporting 6%bodyfat. I do think its interesting to see if closed chain and open chain exercises do affect you differently but I dont actually sse how? One reason for calisthenic guys to be lean in addition to practicallity would be high energy expenditure due to high reps due to the relatively low load

Perry Staltic

Burpees involve calorie burning in multiple muscle groups, including the largest muscle group, thigh muscles (so whole body burn), which along with HIIT, become aerobic with all of it's tissue remodeling benefits that produces enduring fat burning beyond the immediate exercise period.

Dave_Fit

Burpees are one of the highest calorie burning exercises per unit of time. While I do feel moving your head through space, squats, pullups, dips, etc. have additional benefits relating to balance and stabilizers they would also burn more calories per unit of time verses a more static variation at similar load. I see where you are going with the idea. The thought the body not only makes the muscles stronger but lightens the overall load of the body by shedding bodyfat, but other than increased caloric expenditure I'm not sure I understand a mechanism. Who knows, maybe you are on to something, would be really cool if you figured something out that has yet to be looked at in a meaningful way!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals