Theoretical Explanation For Reduced Body Mass Index And Obesity Rates In Cannabis Users

Nokoni

Three key points:

1. Cannaboid receptor 1 (CB1R) plays a role in both appetite and basal metabolic rate. When CB1R is activated it increases appetite and decreases metabolic rate.

2. PUFA, at least the omega-6 kind, activates CB1R. So PUFA will both reduce metabolic rate and simultaneously increase appetite.

3. Cannabis also activates CB1R, but after activation by cannabis CB1R becomes downregulated, and it stays downregulated for several weeks. So with cannabis you get an increase in appetite and a decrease in metabolic rate over the short term, but a reduction in appetite and an increase in metabolism over the longer term.

This explains why cannabis users have a BMI that is lower than non-cannabis users by about 2 kg/m². (In my case, that would represent about a 13 pound difference.) The bottom line, if they are right, is that occasional cannabis use might be a very good strategy for losing weight and possibly also good for overall health (due to the enhanced metabolic rate).

LUH 3417

Three key points:

1. Cannaboid receptor 1 (CB1R) plays a role in both appetite and basal metabolic rate. When CB1R is activated it increases appetite and decreases metabolic rate.

2. PUFA, at least the omega-6 kind, activates CB1R. So PUFA will both reduce metabolic rate and simultaneously increase appetite.

3. Cannabis also activates CB1R, but after activation by cannabis CB1R becomes downregulated, and it stays downregulated for several weeks. So with cannabis you get an increase in appetite and a decrease in metabolic rate over the short term, but a reduction in appetite and an increase in metabolism over the longer term.

This explains why cannabis users have a BMI that is lower than non-cannabis users by about 2 kg/m². (In my case, that would represent about a 13 pound difference.) The bottom line, if they are right, is that occasional cannabis use might be a very good strategy for losing weight and possibly also good for overall health (due to the enhanced metabolic rate).
May explain why I gained 15lbs since I renounced pot

Nokoni

May explain why I gained 15lbs since I renounced pot
If they are right (and they make a pretty strong case), that's about the difference you'd expect. But the good news is that it's reversible – and enjoyable :):. But maybe you have other important considerations to take into account.

LUH 3417

If they are right (and they make a pretty strong case), that's about the difference you'd expect. But the good news is that it's reversible – and enjoyable :):. But maybe you have other important considerations to take into account.
What's enjoyable?

Nokoni

Nokoni

Oh haha I thought you meant reversing the weight gain would be enjoyable!
Don't know how "enjoyable" reducing weight gain would be, but it's at least a nice bonus :):.

Cirion

Unfortunately at my job weed is not allowed at all (and by that I mean in your free time, if any of the drug is detected you can be fired), even though overall in my state it is legal, so I can't experiment with it =(

Nokoni

Unfortunately at my job weed is not allowed at all (and by that I mean in your free time, if any of the drug is detected you can be fired), even though overall in my state it is legal, so I can't experiment with it =(
No wonder you were trying for that Florida job :blush:

Cirion

No wonder you were trying for that Florida job :blush:

Lol sadly the job in FL would have similar restrictions.

I mainly am aiming for the increased pay and the more desirable environment (warmer, sunnier, close to beach). Still haven't heard back, so that's not a yes but it's not a no yet either... Here's hoping...

Nokoni

Lol sadly the job in FL would have similar restrictions.

I mainly am aiming for the increased pay and the more desirable environment (warmer, sunnier, close to beach). Still haven't heard back, so that's not a yes but it's not a no yet either... Here's hoping...
Yeah I figured. But that other stuff is good too, so good luck :thumbsup:.