Theanine, Taurine, Lysine Uses

scarlettsmum

1. Is there any single thread that explains these three amino acids in more detail and their use:
lysine
theanine
taurine
It would be a useful reference rather than having to search the forum for each individually and putting info together from different threads.

2. and why does taurine have a bad rep sometimes?

Thank you!

Last edited:
OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

i just googled taurine and some (not all) of the headlines read "dangers of taurine" or something similar. It wasn't from any scientific studies and I didn't click on any links, only went over the headlines, because I didn't want to needlessly scare myself.

Kasper

the reason is, that it is in red bull, and it sounds dangerous. people like to write stories, "this is the REAL reason that red bull is toxic!!!"

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

ok, changed the taurine question so it doesn't look so ...(pls fill in the word)

Elle

I tried taking taurine and it caused palpitations. Has anyone else experienced this? Theanine actually works to mitigate that, but I'm not sure I should be taking it if it has that effect. I'm not sure if this is something that would pass with continued use, as I wasn't brave enough to continue to find out. Has anyone else had this experience or have any thoughts on this?

sladerunner69

I tried taking taurine and it caused palpitations. Has anyone else experienced this? Theanine actually works to mitigate that, but I'm not sure I should be taking it if it has that effect. I'm not sure if this is something that would pass with continued use, as I wasn't brave enough to continue to find out. Has anyone else had this experience or have any thoughts on this?

Yes taurine is quite potent, in terms of it's physical, observable effects. I used it for energy back in my highs chool football days, until I began to realize it was responsible for my racing thoughts and abnormal heart rythms. I think with taurine even 2g a day is sufficient to experience "too" much energy. I suppose some people can take plenty of it and enjoy or at elast be not adversley affected.

firebreather

Yes taurine is quite potent, in terms of it's physical, observable effects. I used it for energy back in my highs chool football days, until I began to realize it was responsible for my racing thoughts and abnormal heart rythms. I think with taurine even 2g a day is sufficient to experience "too" much energy. I suppose some people can take plenty of it and enjoy or at elast be not adversley affected.

I took 8g yesterday and didn't notice a thing.

4g today so far.

My wife took 1.5g with her coffee yesterday and said she felt tired most of the day.

What the?

Ray himself is pretty much not in favor of protein powders or aminos in isolation, as I've read his work. He favors gelatine/collagen but mostly real food. That doesn't invalidate these, just saying. I have benefited from taurine and I've experimented with BCAAs. Right now I'm taking a bit of phenylalanine and tyrosine for dopamine purposes.

firebreather

Ray himself is pretty much not in favor of protein powders or aminos in isolation, as I've read his work. He favors gelatine/collagen but mostly real food. That doesn't invalidate these, just saying. I have benefited from taurine and I've experimented with BCAAs. Right now I'm taking a bit of phenylalanine and tyrosine for dopamine purposes.

You're taking phenylalanine and tyrosine in addition to the bormocriptine?

Do you have an opinion on weather N-Acetyl Tyrosine gets absorbed better than regular Tyrosine?

DaveFoster

You still doing this, hamster? How'd it go?

You still doing this, hamster? How'd it go?

it was okay. It makes you feel sort of flat. This is common response.

I am avoiding these just because it doesn't serve me well and doesn't feel natural. I still take some taurine now and then but with respect. When I take too much with niacinamide, it puts me to sleep.

DaveFoster

it was okay. It makes you feel sort of flat. This is common response.

I am avoiding these just because it doesn't serve me well and doesn't feel natural. I still take some taurine now and then but with respect. When I take too much with niacinamide, it puts me to sleep.
I experienced the same thing with BCAA's + tyrosine (flat, sluggish feeling). I think caffeine has a much greater anti-depressant, dopaminergic effect.

johnwester130

lysine is quite a nasty supplement

it can make you feel cold, and depressed.

it lowers nitric oxide too much,

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals