Theanine Both Reduces Serotonin And Increases Dopamine

sladerunner69

The cheape
Theanine is considered GRAS (generally regarded as safe) and has no known toxicity level. Animals given extremely high doses did not have even a single death case. I personally take 600mg and for me the anti-serotonin effect is very pronounced. The reason I take 600mg is that it is almost as effective as 1,200mg listed in the study and theanine is not cheap, so achieving similar results with less is certainly appreciated.

I found cheap theanine at walmart.
. But it is 200mg theanine mixed w/100mg green tea. I was worried that green tea could contain dangerous levels of iron or mercury but it is only 100mg of green tea leaf, it is not an extract or ecgc or any sort like that which could be more potent and harmful.

Soren

Forum Supporter
Theanine-induced reduction of brain serotonin concentration in rats. - PubMed - NCBI

Following the administration of theanine, the brain tryptophan content significantly increased or tended to increase, but the contents of serotonin and 5-hydroxyindole acetic acid (5HIAA) decreased. The use of inhibitors of serotonin metabolism enable us to speculate that theanine reduced serotonin synthesis and also increased serotonin degradation in the brain.

So would this be saying that theanine increases tryptophan content but its ok because it ultimately lowers serotonin?

Or is it a double edged sword and it is still bad to have tryptophan in the brain even with the reduction in serotonin?

DButter

So would this be saying that theanine increases tryptophan content but its ok because it ultimately lowers serotonin?

Or is it a double edged sword and it is still bad to have tryptophan in the brain even with the reduction in serotonin?
Yeah I saw this too and was confused..

DK580

Maybe we need to look at this in the other order...

If theanine prevents/slows conversion of tryptophan to serotonin, then it could be responsible for both an "increase" of tryptophan as it's not getting used up, while simultaneously decreasing serotonin since the conversion is slowed/stopped/inhibited.

So then the question becomes this: what effect does tryptophan have in the brain (and elsewhere?) if we have more circulating tryptophan but it's prevented from converting to serotonin?

Jon

Maybe we need to look at this in the other order...

If theanine prevents/slows conversion of tryptophan to serotonin, then it could be responsible for both an "increase" of tryptophan as it's not getting used up, while simultaneously decreasing serotonin since the conversion is slowed/stopped/inhibited.

So then the question becomes this: what effect does tryptophan have in the brain (and elsewhere?) if we have more circulating tryptophan but it's prevented from converting to serotonin?

I am under the impression (could be wrong lol) that tryptophan is needed for NAD synthesis, which is why GABA activity is increased with theanine use, being that serotonin synthesis is halted there is more tryptophan available for NAD+ Conversion BUT it seems the body can't catabolize as much tryptophan as it has available so it builds up.

Not a surprise really, inhibitors of all kinds tend to have this reservoir/rebound effect. I think the main worry of raised tryptophan would be an over stimulated immune system and increased inflammation. You'd probably know it's messing with you negatively if you notice sinus swelling, itchy skin, trouble sleeping or once ceasing use if you start dreaming odd vivid dreams then you know your serotonin hightened most likely because your body is trying to rid itself of te over abundance of tryptophan. This is atleast my hypothesis lol.

Aspects of Tryptophan and Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide in Immunity: A New Twist in an Old Tale

I remember Ray saying that tryptophan can either turn into serotonin or niacin. According to the study you posted, tryptophan is catabolized into quinolinic acid, which generates NAD+. But isn't niacin also used for NAD+ synthesis? We get good amounts of vitamin B3 from the diet, so lowering trhyptophan shouldn't be a problem regarding NAD+, but regarding the quinolinic acid, I really don't know. Of course, it's better to not have a toxin like that floating around. If tryptophan can't turn into serotonin, or niacin( if the body has plenty), will it remain as is or will it turn into a toxin? I guess that's why it's best to keep the intake of this aminoacid low.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals