Ableton

I think we are meant to be moving/walking several hours a day. Whenever I walk many miles in a day, my temps, sleep, digestion, looks, water retention, psychology improves. I also get away with worse food and other stressors much more easily

this is not the same as routinely doing sports either

Kram

I am worried about many people in their 30s.

They look like they are ready to retire.

Many just go to work, return home and watch netflix. They have totally given up on life.

Totally agree. I am in my early 30s and left my job 2 years ago to focus on improving health and to try and figure out something to do with my life (and have failed so far). But I see a lot of my friends with what I would describe as ridiculous jobs (some types of doctors, some attorneys, some finance, sales...and not trying to bash these professions as I used to work in finance) and then they go home to their families at night and just watch Netflix - I struggle to see how people are supposed to be happy doing this. Some have realized how absurd this 'life' is but a lot of them seem ok with everything. Although they are all healthier and happier than me so who am I to judge.

Ableton

Totally agree. I am in my early 30s and left my job 2 years ago to focus on improving health and to try and figure out something to do with my life (and have failed so far). But I see a lot of my friends with what I would describe as ridiculous jobs (some types of doctors, some attorneys, some finance, sales...and not trying to bash these professions as I used to work in finance) and then they go home to their families at night and just watch Netflix - I struggle to see how people are supposed to be happy doing this. Some have realized how absurd this 'life' is but a lot of them seem ok with everything. Although they are all healthier and happier than me so who am I to judge.
Having family and purpose is big
I lack that more than anything

mrchibbs

I am worried about many people in their 30s.

They look like they are ready to retire.

Many just go to work, return home and watch netflix. They have totally given up on life.

30s? You’re describing many people I know in their 20s!

for a lot of people, there simply isn’t any meaning to their lives

Ableton

30s? You’re describing many people I know in their 20s!

for a lot of people, there simply isn’t any meaning to their lives
What about people like me who realize they have no meaning.
I feel like most people don’t realize this if it’s the case for them. They just drift
Out of all the people I know, the ones with „the deepest minds“ are the most nihilistic ones. The people who read, do not work in corporate, are creative in some way, with a broad horizon.
Feels like 90% are just drones who live in a prison :(
I cannot relate to them, but they seem happy

mrchibbs

I feel like most people don’t realize this if it’s the case for them. They just drift
Out of all the people I know, the ones with „the deepest minds“ are the most nihilistic ones. The people who read, do not work in corporate, are creative in some way, with a broad horizon.

Ray has mentioned before that slightly dumber people are happier on average. I think it has long been known that the culture and 9–5 is extremely toxic, and intelligent people realize this more than most, hence why they’re depressed.

I will say it is easier to build meaningful mental constructs with high thyroid function, and conversely high serotonin can delude someone into being somewhat happy yet apathetic, which is why it has been pushed so much for the last few decades.

I am paraphrasing another saying I guess, but the only happy people are the ones you don’t know very well. And sadly having a family and children is not an antidote to this feeling, which is why so many children end up suffering from their depressed parents.

mrchibbs

I had a bit of a breakdown in my early 20s, from seeing close family members and friends die, and working in a hospital and seeing the mass suffering, and I just couldn’t relate to my friends who wanted big paying corporate jobs. It was really hard to find a sense of meaning, whereas as a teenager everything felt meaningful. It took me a few years to find my footing, the passage from adolescence to adulthood was extremely rocky for me.

K

Kratos

Millennials are the new lost generation, most of us have no idea what makes them happy and are pressured to also please others at the expense of their health.

johnwester130

I don't think we will reach the level where everyone becomes obese, autistic and develops dementia and we use a VR headset 18 hours a day.

Something will save humanity. I don't know what. Maybe some kind of hidden secret technology or breakthrough in what it means to be human will be revealed.

Ableton

I don't think we will reach the level where everyone becomes obese, autistic and develops dementia and we use a VR headset 18 hours a day.

Something will save humanity. I don't know what. Maybe some kind of hidden secret technology or breakthrough in what it means to be human will be revealed.
We need some breakthrough in esotericism
Basically something to replace religion with

maybe some ****er will find out that we have a multidimensional consciousness or something like this, and that this consciousness is not lost after our bodies died

we need something big

johnwester130

We need some breakthrough in esotericism
Basically something to replace religion with

maybe some ****er will find out that we have a multidimensional consciousness or something like this, and that this consciousness is not lost after our bodies died

we need something big

david wilcock, q anon and Epstein's death spring to mind . These are the only big changes that can rock society.

laleto12

I completely agree with lampofred, this is a problem of malnourishment. Starvation, really. This is a problem decades in the making. It is now culminating in a generation so misinformed and paranoid about food that they are consistently deprived of the energy there bodies need for proper cell turnover, reproduction, and just the daily "remodeling" of our bodies, as Dr. Peat describes it. Many millenials have become vegans, true. But, they have been restricting calories in so many other ways that young people decades ago did not do. The numbers eating in a restricted way have been increasing through the decades as the basic brainwashing message of "eat less and exercise more" has become such so common. As people have been following this advice more and more, overweight and obesity have become more common. Our bodies will store fat to protect us from famine. Of course, fat storage requires that we sometimes eat above the calorie requirement of our depressed metabolism. Many do this because, afterall, the famine is not real, in most places. There are plenty of calories available. The body will make us so uncomfortable that we will load up sometimes. The more someone engages in this mad cycle, the fatter they become over time. This is well known statistically. It is the effect of going on "diets". What, though, if you see this unpleasant fattening of the people around you, and you develop a real fear of this happening to you? What if you've been told that people got that way by eating too much and sitting too much? You'll develop a nice, little eating disorder. Some will manifest this as pure portion control. They will consistently undereat, in the semi-starvation way of the Minnesota Starvation Experiment. They will be thin, yes, but consume too little to stay well. Or, as a result of considering so many foods dangerous, they will undereat by accident. Some will exercise so much, they are in energy deficit all the time. The experiment mentioned above showed that to rehabilitate the starving men, they had to eat a superabundance of calories. No supplementation of vitamins and minerals helped them recover until they were allowed to eat as many calories as they wanted. Vegans, for example, may be eating sources of vitamins and minerals in abundance, but undereating calories, as vegetables and fruits are typically very low in calories. As a touchstone for this discussion, the men had to eat above 4000 calories to recover and some ate 11,000 for a time. The edinstitute website explains the absolute minimum calorie requirement for a sedentary person based on age, size, and gender. It's not 2000 calories. Where we got this number as a base is completely unscientific and many eat in the range of the semi-starved men in the study, 1,560 calories, or less. No one can be well eating in this way that has become so common. The findings on the health of young people is not surprising given the insane climate they've been growing up in. They are not robust in the way people who are well fed will be. And the really crazy part is, if they always ate everything they wanted, they would never become fat. A body supplied an abundance of calories doesn't need to store fat. It's against logic. Just like Billy Craig, I've pit my money where my mouth is and tried the abundant calorie experiment. You lose weight if you need to, and become more well every day you eat more. Can the situation be reversed in a generation? Yes. Every one of the young people, or old people being affected by this calorie famine, and that is every single obese person and so, so many of the thin ones, can turn it around beginning today. Get educated about the calories you require and stop shorting yourself. Retrain the way your brain thinks about food.
I think I am deeply suffering from what you have told. However, I just can not stomach the ******* food. My mind is absolutely blown-away seeing people eating over 4000+ calories let alone 11k... I just dont have the appetite. I am extremely happy If I can reach 3000. But I think for a someone like me, its merely not enough. (20, Male, 5'11, 80 kg, active)
I am in a deep paradox, dont know how to save myself from this eating disorder.

mrchibbs

I think I am deeply suffering from what you have told. However, I just can not stomach the ******* food. My mind is absolutely blown-away seeing people eating over 4000+ calories let alone 11k... I just dont have the appetite. I am extremely happy If I can reach 3000. But I think for a someone like me, its merely not enough. (20, Male, 5'11, 80 kg, active)

I'm in my late 20s now, but I was like you when I was 20, I just didn't have a lot of appetite. You are probably hypothyroid, as I was. If you fix that, you'll start eating more.
And you need to eat more nutritious foods from 20-25, to fully develop all your tissues. I wish I could go back to your age knowing what I know now.

laleto12

I'm in my late 20s now, but I was like you when I was 20, I just didn't have a lot of appetite. You are probably hypothyroid, as I was. If you fix that, you'll start eating more.
And you need to eat more nutritious foods from 20-25, to fully develop all your tissues. I wish I could go back to your age knowing what I know now.
Thank you for your response. I am definitely hypothyroid as I was diagnosed like at the age of 14 as well. All of my childhood I was an obese kid till 13. Then something happened and I lost 25 kg. However, I believe being obese as a kid is one of the reasons that I, to this day, have problems with my body image.
I try to eat "healthier" for a long time now. I'have discovered Ray peat 6 months ago after 7 months of carnivore diet journey. I think I am not definitely that unhealthy, especially compared to my friends and acquiantances at my age. However, I still am not where I want to be. The problem with hypothyroidism that you need calories however, I cannot eat them without possible getting too fat maybe or stuffing myself with food that I cannot stomach? Idk at this point.
My digestion clearly sucks.

mrchibbs

Thank you, I am definitely hypothyroid as I was diagnosed like at the age of 14 as well. All of my childhood I was an obese kid till 13. Then something happened and I lost 25 kg. However, I believe being obese is one of the reasons that I have problems with my body image.

I try to eat "healthier" for a long time now. I'have discovered Ray peat 6 months ago after 7 months of carnivore diet journey. I think I am not definitely that unhealthy, especially compared to my friends and acquiantances at my age. However, I still am not where I want to be. The problem with hypothyroidism that you need calories however, I cannot eat them without possible getting too fat maybe or stuffing myself with food that I cannot stomach? Idk at this point.
My digestion clearly sucks.

See it in a positive light. You're lucky being so young. I discovered Ray Peat when I was like 24 and I didn't take it seriously until 2 years ago, when my health problems were dire.
Digestion improves 100x with thyroid function. If you take 1 thing away from our conversation I would say, do everything to fix your thyroid function ASAP.
Read Broda Barnes book, take temperatures, get a NDT thyroid supplement, and increase slowly. Eat good food regularly, including milk, try to be relaxed in your life
and get some sunshine. I promise you will start eating more and feeling loads better. Don't try to force yourself to eat more, fix your thyroid, it will come.

Ableton

experiment with macros and use of stimulants (caffeine)
calories are misleading
oxidation rate is where its at
i gain weight on high fat diet 3k cal and do not on low fat 4k cal

Ableton

david wilcock, q anon and Epstein's death spring to mind . These are the only big changes that can rock society.
I disagree. Nothing political will work. Aliens, maybe.
We could literally have a huge elite pedo ring exposed and our lives would not significantly change. We would get new elites and the same ***t. This is really obvious to me. There will be no "awakening" in any political sense.

Kelj

I will tell you exactly what I did to get out of the low thyroid function/no hunger signals/no appetite/feeling awful state you describe. I recovered my health, normal weight, thyroid function, and enjoyment of food. I was much older than you and had been living with these problems for longer. It is always good to know what is possible. It might work for you. I never ate carnivore, but my ill health occurred during my very low carb and intermittent fasting phase. Ray helped me rethink sugar.

To encourage my body to revert to a normal, non-stress metabolism:
Stopped limiting carbs. Emphasized sugars.

To keep my blood sugar from dropping and initiating an emergency response involving cortisol rise:
Drank juice throughout the day.

To prevent early morning blood sugar drop and adrenalin/cortisol response becoming exaggerated:
Kept juice, plus food on bedside table until my liver storage of glucose improved. Even now, if I wake up in the night feeling wide awake, I will get up and eat, and I always go back to sleep. I read a book recently, where someone commented on the crazy lack of comfort in the country they were visiting. They said there was no tin of cookies on the bedside table so that they could eat during the night. That is just one reason to believe that in many places and times, the need to eat at night was recognized. We do not know the uses to which our body is using energy at any given time. Healing occurs at night. What was an adequate amount of food one day, will not carry us through the night, undisturbed, on another.

To overcome low thyroid function/low energy:
Started eating more. Overcome fear of overconsumption of food by acquainting myself with what a normal amount of food looks like. Didn't count calories, but realized through the science that the body knows what to do with all the energy we consume.

Overcame lack of hunger:
First, convinced myself that lack of hunger was not something to congratulate myself over. Hunger is normal and healthy. Started eating small amounts very frequently while sipping juice all the time. Didn't always feel like eating, but persisted. Sometimes felt nauseated, but tried to think about what I would most tolerate eating at that moment and ate that. Ate a consistent breakfat, lunch and dinner because the body likes consistency and would come to expect food at that time and be forthcoming with digestive enzymes at those times. Ate at least every two hours between meals, but always when I felt like eating, even if it didn't necessarily feel like a hunger signal. If I thought of food I ate. Eventually, I felt my first real hunger pang, and rejoiced.

To regain a normal circadian energy flow:
Noticed I became hungrier midday than at any other time. Started viewing as normal a bigger lunchtime meal and a smaller amount of food at supper, but if that ever altered for a day or a week, just rolled with it.

To never allow blood sugar to tank:
Made sure, by planning, that I would always have food and drink supplies. Never ever, again, allowed myself to keep working while hungry. Always keep myself in a glucose "burning" metabolism by emphasizing carbs in my diet, especially fruits, fruit juice.

Stay in a well-nourished state:
Eat everything my body is asking for, always.

The small, frequent meals really gets the body's enzyme production and speed of transit through digestive tract back up to normal. Any restriction of what you feel like eating after that, will negatively effect the recovery of your thyroid. I didn't need any supplements to recover thyroid function.

Collden

Globalism, multiculturalism and the Internet has given us constant exposure to contradictory attitudes and belief systems that makes it more or less impossible to commit 100% to any single way of life or have complete faith in anything. The absurdity and utter meaninglessness of existence and lack of objective truth that before only existentialist and postmodern philosophers contemplated has suddenly become more or less apparent to everyone, even if they are only subconsciously aware of it.

To cope one must develop a postmodern mind that acknowledges, makes peace with, and finally embraces the objective meaninglessness of existence to find a way to enjoy life in spite of lacking ultimate purpose. I think some millennials, through good parenting and upbringing, have managed to come to terms with the postmodern lack of ultimate meaning and found a way to thrive in it. PewDiePie would be a good example of a young person who clearly embraces absurdity and rejects ultimate purpose or meaning yet still manages to live a rich and enjoyable life.

Last edited:

Ableton

Globalism, multiculturalism and the Internet has given us constant exposure to contradictory attitudes and belief systems that makes it more or less impossible to commit 100% to any single way of life or have complete faith in anything. The absurdity and utter meaninglessness of existence and lack of objective truth that before only existentialist and postmodern philosophers contemplated has suddenly become more or less apparent to everyone, even if they are only subconsciously aware of it.

To cope one must develop a postmodern mind that acknowledges, makes peace with, and finally embraces the objective meaninglessness of existence to find a way to enjoy life in spite of lacking ultimate purpose. I think some millennials, through good parenting and upbringing, have managed to come to terms with the postmodern lack of ultimate meaning and found a way to thrive in it. PewDiePie would be a good example of a young person who clearly embraces absurdity and rejects ultimate purpose or meaning yet still manages to live a rich and enjoyable life.
reviewing cynical memes seems to be the complete opposite of "thriving" to me. sure, he made it. but his "postmodern" lifestyle is hardly a blueprint for average joe
i am somewhat like him but it does not work out